Character Discussion : Sandor Clegane

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Elan Morin Tedronai, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Arianne

Arianne New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Not really, but I believe you...

Also, in ACOK, in scenes with Sandor and Sansa, when Sandor touches her, when he pushes her, Martin always uses a version of adjective "gentle" to describe how he touches her.

I like Sandor very much.
    He is one of my favourite characters even though he isn't POV, while most of them are POVs.

2. Arianne

Arianne New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'm not sure about Jaime, but I think he would beat Brienne.

He also won Jaime at the tournament.

And he was pretty much drunk and starving when he fought against Tickler and Polliver.

3. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Jaime himself doubted (when he still had his hand, I guess) that he could not beat Sandor. (I can't recall in which book, I reread them all in quite a short period of time lately)
    I think Brienne would have a problem if she had to fight him. I really think shes lucky she didn't have to.

@Arianne: Yes, I like the way Sandor treats Sansa. But I also like the way he and Arya get along. Somehow he's not able to really hurt little girls. Or maybe little Stark girls. I think that storyline has yet to be completed.

I wonder how Sandor has become such a cruel man. Would he have been just a ordinary knight if he had not been maimed by Gregor? I think he would. He is not really a monster, unlike his brother. Sandor somehow still has some decency. But yes, he's also a loser, in a way. And in the end he lost everything, even his weapons and armour - and by that I don't mean his physical armour.

@Gregor>Sandor, I still cannot understand how Gregor can be one of your very favorites in the series. There is nothing human about Gregor. It even surprised me the man can actually talk. In his indifferent cruelness he reminds me of the recently escaped male gorilla in a zoo, about a month ago, which almost killed the woman that was simply looking at him.

4. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Intelligence? Gregor? He's just a fighting machine. I wouldn't say retarded, those are your words, not mine. It's his indifference that keeps bothering me. For your sake I won't compare him with a gorilla anymore, but rather with a person like Mike Tyson.

Since you're more Gregor and I'm more Sandor, I think we'll never really agree on this matter :D

5. Arianne

Arianne New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Well, he likes Sansa... He gets along with Arya, but in a different way.
    Sansa has, I think, 13 years...
    But in ASOIAF the children have to grew up older. I think that in Martin's world a child of let's say 13 years is much more mature than in ours. For example, Arya, Bran, Dany, Jon...
    And even Sansa, especially in ASOS and AFFC. She was childish and naive in AGOT, but she had to grew up fast. She is very different now.
    In asoiaf sometimes people get married with 13, 14 years...

6. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Was this just a random statement?

My opinion: Sandor's the man. As for Gregor . . . he really wasn't too involved in the story. Mostly it was things like "did you hear what the Mountain did?", so I can't say that I have much of an opinion about him.

Tywin Lannister often spoke of him as a tool, I got the impression that his main purpose was to commit atrocities.

7. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    She would have become Sandor's "whore" (as in: not keeping her maidenhood for very long, forced or of free will) if she had gone with him, after the Blackwater Battle.
    At least I think that's what he meant when he said something like 'I could protect you', during their last scene together, after him saying he was about to leave Kings Landing. I think he wanted to take her with him and keep her for himself.

-G-

Last edited: Aug 17, 2007
  8. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    .(Just wondering how all postings of Gregor>Sandor have suddenly disappeared)

Last edited: Aug 2, 2007
  9. Maester Joergensen

Maester Joergensen New Member

Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I guess a mod kicked his ass:D

10. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I can live with that :D
    Btw What happened to your avatar, MJ???

Last edited: Aug 3, 2007
  11. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think im an impressionable reader, I usually like a character when the author intends for us to like them or feel sorry for them when they portray them that way or hate them when they are ment to be bad/evil

With "The Hound" I think my opinion towards him is exactly what GRRM intends(maybe im wrong!). started out being mean and bad but still making us sypathize with him because of his brother and the way joffrey(hated that prick) treated him. but then slowly made him more compassionate but still held his mean gruff exterior all the while holding most people respect for his fighting abilities..

Very complex character and difficult to understand every dimension to him..

I hope his character is developed more in the coming books (and i dont believe R'hllor would have spared his life for him to just die a little bit later (once again I could be wrong but I hope not!)

12. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Warning: AFFC spoilers below!
    No, the ultimate clash between him and Ungregor has yet to come. I bet Cersei will send Ungregor to Sansa (she says something like 'that wolvemaid will sing a song for the Stranger and beg for a kiss before I'm done with her). Of course Sandor, who is still alive, but no longer the Hound, will save Sansa and kill Ungregor (probably with Loras' head sewn upon his neck, but that's only speculation LOL). Then he and Sansa get married... oh no, it's getting too late here. I must get some sleep...:D

BTW what makes you think it was Rh'llor who pared his life?

13. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    "you stand accused of murder but no one here knows the truth or falsehood of the charge, so it is not for us to judge you. only the lord of light may do that now. I sentace you to trial by battle!

And after the trial by battle in which The Hound defeated Lord Beric Dondarrion

"R'hllor has judged him innocent."

14. Gwywen

Gwywen Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Oh thanks for reminding me, I completely forgot about that.

15. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    no worries, took me a while of searching through AFFC to find the quotes, untill I realised that it was in ASOS.... whoops

16. Ender-Zero

Ender-Zero Ruff Mercenary

Ratings:
    +81 / 0 / -0
    I don't know if he's dead or not it the thing. I mean I know that one priest in Brienne's arc mentioned that the real Hound was dead but I just don't know about that.

Anyways I think he was a very important and main character in the series, especially for a character without a view point. He was undoubtedly a multi-faceted character with depth who kept me interested.

Search tags for this page
sandor clegane sansa forum

sandor sansa forum