Character Discussion : Sandor Clegane

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Elan Morin Tedronai, Aug 6, 2005.

1. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    The Hound. The meaniest guy in ASOIAF and one of GRRM's most popular characters. An incrediably able fighter and a total smart ass warrant this guy his reputation among ASOIAF fans. What does everyone see in The Hound's future ? A few people seem to believe that he is dead at the end of ASOS, but I don't see why they should think that. Especially since the favourite for the "mystery POV" seems to be Sandor.

How will events play out for The Hound in AFFC. Will he join or be taken by the Brotherhood Without Banners, or will he stay on his own, possibly searching for Sansa (I say this because it seems that they have a special connection, and the Hound atleast, has feelings for her.)

Also, feel free to talk about your favourite Sandor scenes, and share the quotes you love.

2. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Sandor's just awesome and kicks some serious ass. I'm pretty sure that he's going to search for Sansa. As for quotes and scenes... give me a few days so I can find my favorite-est. :p

3. Godrin

Godrin Not So Jolly Fat Guy

Astor, FL don't worry even the next town over does
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If he does survive then i could see it going either way. He may be taken by the Brotherhood, but i doubt he would join them, and I don't see him staying with them for very long. He will most likely eventually go looking for Sansa though.

4. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    I don't know what he will do, as I"m still reading aCoK, but I really like the HOund. I can sympathize with him, in several aspects. He, along with Stannis, are male characters that I am most like...

5. CB Swords

CB Swords Forum Administrator

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I don't think he's the meanest guy in the books, he's a walking talking tragedy but his brother was the truly sadistic one.

Its multidimensional characters like Sandor that really put these books a peg above the rest.

6. mantis

mantis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Warning: spoilers for AFfC.

There's a theory going around, which I think could be true, that Sandor is still be alive, having joined the Brothers at the sanctuary near Saltpans. When the Eldest Brother said "that man is dead," he meant Sandor's persona the Hound had "died" when Sandor gave up the warrior's path and took his vows. If this theory is true, the large novice Brienne noticed digging graves, who walked with a limp and whose face was hidden by his cowl, was probably Sandor.

Sandor reminds me of Sergeant Bothari in Lois McMaster Bujold's "Miles Vorkosigan" novels. (Bothari even describes himself as "Lady Vorkosigan's dog" at a crucial moment in Barrayar.) He's angry, bitter, warped, and yet he has a streak of decency that keeps him from turning into a true monster like his brother. On some level, he yearns to be better than he is.

I agree with CB that he's not the meanest character in the novels; that would probably be Gregor, and a lot of his men are also nastier than Sandor. And that's not even mentioning Amory Lorch, the Bloody Mummers, Roose Bolton, his bastard son (who's apparently a serial rapist and murderer), Lord Walder Frey or his grandson Black Walder. Sandor may, however, be the most tragic character, although there are plenty of those to choose from, too -- Cersei "Lady Macbeth" Lannister comes to mind.

I think that in his own frustrated, inarticulate way, Sandor was in love with Sansa. Had she been older and wiser, she might have been able to save him in the same way Lady Cordelia Naismith Vorkosigan saves Bothari, giving his violent impulses constructive direction and enabling him to become the hero he wishes he could be. I also think he felt an odd sort of kinship for Arya -- she didn't understand it, but I think he rather admired her courage and determination. His asking her for the gift of mercy implied that he considered her a fellow warrior, which is perhaps the only kind of fellowship that truly matters to a man like the Hound.

7. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Quite. And I agree with the theory too. ^^ It's been floating around on the ASoIaF boards on Westeros for quite a while now.

8. K'shar

K'shar Darth Pumpkin

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    We've mentioned it a few times around here too. Sandor still has some unfinished business with Gregolem too

9. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    It wouldn't be the first time GRRM's killed off a character who had unfinished business (Ned avenging Jon Arryn comes to mind) but I want to believe that Sandor is still alive. Also, Mantis, I love your last paragraph about Sandor's possible 'kinship' with Arya. I never knew what to call it.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Petyr

Petyr New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The Hound is probably my favorite character of the series.

Very well written, Mantis. I agree with you 100%.

11. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    The Hound is great...a multidimensial, complicated, tragic character. I loved him and his interactions with the two Stark girls make up some of the best parts of the books. He really better not be dead!

12. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    :eek: How did I miss this thred the first time around! Sandor is probably my personal favorite in the books. I think there must be more in store for him than a long dirt nap, if not I'll be depressed. The gravedigger seems the most likely theory at the moment. I notice the monk (forget his name) kept saying the Hound died, but never used his name, Sandor. I wonder if it wasn't some creative wording.

13. Petyr

Petyr New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My thoughts exactly when I went back and reread that chapter. That is spot on. Sandor will one day pick up his sword when he is most needed.

14. Appaliq

Appaliq No One

Ratings:
    +79 / 0 / -0
    All the characters that have died are in parentheses in the back of AFFC, but Sandor isn't one of them. Maybe Martin left him out purposefully so we can all speculate. (Theon isn't either, and we're all fairly sure he's coming back right?)

15. Petyr

Petyr New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I hadn't even thought of that. I totally assumed he was dead, flayed alive most likely. Man, this site is making want to reread (some books will be 4th time, some 3rd and Feast 2nd).

16. K'shar

K'shar Darth Pumpkin

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    If I went and reread it'd be for the 5th time on 1 & 2, 4th for the 3rd and only the 2nd for feast. Yet I know that compared to some other people(read freaked out whackadoos) on here who've prolly read the books like 30 times or something stupid it's nothing.
    I hope Theon is dead. that would be nice unless of course he's going to be killed in a spectacular gloriously described fashion. that'd be awesome. Stupid Wanker.
    And Sandor is a hard character not to have feelings for. As for when he'll pick up his sword, one word: GREGOLEM.

17. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    I refuse to beleive it too. I'll only really say he's dead when it's proved for sure. When that priest said he was dead, my first thought was that he was lying to keep him hidden. Never thought that The Hound was dead, and Sandor was the novice. He's alive! :p

18. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    The priest's name is Eldest Brother, I think.

19. Omega3R

Omega3R Mi ne sijemo.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    i think sandor is secretly in love with arya stark.

20. K'shar

K'shar Darth Pumpkin

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    more likely with Sansa and Arya. More Sansa tho methinks

Search tags for this page
sandor clegane sansa forum

sandor sansa forum