Character Discussion : Jon Snow

Discussion in 'A Song of Ice and Fire' started by Elan Morin Tedronai, May 18, 2005.

1. K'shar

K'shar Darth Pumpkin

Ratings:
    +19 / 0 / -0
    ok. i still think doubtfull cuz its what the fans want and GRRM if nothing else likes to frustrate the fans but i guess u could b right if u look at it like that (heh heh) yes i am just being a jerk and trying not to legitimize ur theory. :devilspin :fart:

2. Lord Bronn

Lord Bronn New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking about the R+L=J theory. Could it be equally possible to be Robert instead of Reagar? And the gallant prince offers his tower to preserve the honor of a lady.

Do we have a formal count for Robert's bastards? And what about Jon's physical traits? Eye color? Hair color?

3. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Jon is dark-haired, dark-eyed and pale-faced - he looks a Stark. It doubt he's Robert's bastard though, there's no real reason to suggest it. After all, Lyanna and Robert were due to be married anyway, given the Stark's sense of honour why would Lyanna sleep with him before the ceremony? Besides, her words 'Men's natures cannot be changed. Robert will never stay to one bed', suggests to me that she wasn't exactly madly in love with him - no reason for Jon to be his child IMO.

Welcome, BTW :).

4. Lord Bronn

Lord Bronn New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm just entertaining possibilities. I hadn't seen it in the R+L=J thread and was wondering how that would hold the ground. After all, Robb falling in love with a Westerling was pretty far fetched too.

Thanks for the welcome!

Ah, and another thing that I haven't seen mentionned (as far as I explored): Am I the only one to find the "998th commander of the Night Watch" a suspiously scary thing?

5. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Welcome to TFF! ^^ I see by the name that you're One Of Us. :D

Not really, no. Why would it be? >.>

6. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    @ Lord Bronn: Keep on entertaining your possibilities then :D. You're right that it's not completely impossible, and GRRM's perfectly capable of throwing an entirely unexpected spanner in the works...I'm still sticking with my opinion that Robert isn't Jon's father though :).

I don't see 998 as an ominous number either...unless it's suggesting there won't be a 999th or 1000th Lord Commander...

7. Kakashi17

Kakashi17 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Isnt that # unreliable? Sam was reading down in the vaults and he was saying something about lord commanders and how Jon was probibly higher than 998

8. Lord Bronn

Lord Bronn New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, but I think Melissandre will make it pretty reliable, when she has the chance :D

9. Pale Ale

Pale Ale Music House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I kind of hate Jon for what he did to gillys son but what he did was probably for the better I don't like the decision. But Jon can't be king in my opinion, he is a man of the night watch now and I don't think he will break his vows anymore after yigrette. I don't get how someone can say rhaegar is one of their favorite characters seeing how you only know who he is from stories. Although i guess from some of the stories people have told in the stories he sounds like some very hot but antisocial but romantic person whom I wouldn't mind pleasuring in ways that I won't say maybe ways that are literally kind of gay ok very gay. But we really haven't seen the real rhaegar yet but if he is as he is said to be he would be pretty awesome.

10. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I'm reserving judgement on Gilly's son until Jon gets to explain himself in ADWD. It may have been for the better, but it was definitely a tough decision to make.

As for Rhaegar...when you haven't seen him 'on stage', it's much easier to use your imagination :D.

11. GreyPilgrim

GreyPilgrim New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Just to go back to the theory R+L=J which seemed obvious, if not too obvious after I first read GoT. I spport there are to things that should be said:
    - It seems unlikely that Ned would dishonnor himself
    - Dany is being trained to command since the death of Drogo, and here identity as one of the three heads of the dragon is obvious. There is a paralele with Jon who is being groomed to command at the wall, as Lord Commander.
    There seems a peaceful symetry between the two characters and all that is said about Rhaegar puts in dought that Lyanna was abducted.

12. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    saying that jon wont break his vow as lord commander as the lord watch to be king might be difficult assumption to make as westeros is in a time of changing with possible different kingdoms popping up all over that place and the laws changing and that vow might be extended, maybe in the future the lord commander could have his own dragon and be protector of the whole realm not just the wall... you never know with GRRM, if he can kill off ned and robb he can do anything!!!

13. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Yeah...I do think that nothing's impossible with GRRM, but it's still fairly unlikely IMO. We've already had the scenario with Jon breaking his vows, and I doubt it'll happen again...although, on second thought I just realised that Jon has broken his vows twice: once with Ygritte, and once when he ran away in AGOT. If it's happened twice, I wonder if it'll happen a third time?

14. Omega3R

Omega3R Mi ne sijemo.

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    but every time before he had a good reason: orders of that half-handed guy... i sort of forgot his name... he always did what he thought to be in accordance with his orders. i guess that's why he broke his wows.

15. hendy

hendy New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that was the second time but the first time he ran away to try and join rob when the war started out...

The second time as omega3r stated Quorin Halfhand ordered him to set aside his vows and join the others... imagine what would have happened if he didnt. and when it came to it he ran away and protected everyone else.

Personally I dont think that he will break his vows. hes lord commander now and with that extra sense of responibility and leadership he will be oozing honourability to try and keep everyone else in line! as far as he knows her has sat back and let his entire family die.. how can you doubt where his loyalty lies now?

16. GreyPilgrim

GreyPilgrim New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Jon is not the 998th commander of the Night's watch probably since all memory of the existance of the Night King ( who was said to be a Stark ) was destroyed. He is therefore probably 999th Commander

17. randland

randland New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I do not know how...but i think Jon won't be remaining LC of NW for long.May be some of his brothers turn against him or Stannis might get pissed with him soon enough and might be he'll have to make a run for it?Or if all else fails,maybe the Wall gets breached by Others and NW gets disbanded.One way or the other,i wish he comes South atleast once in the series..and just to add i think by the end of the series Jorah will be the LC.

Search tags for this page
forum discussion jon snow

who would have been born first jon snow or ageon vii