Chapter Names

Discussion in 'General Fantasy' started by MeltingRoses, Oct 8, 2010.

1. MeltingRoses

MeltingRoses MeltingRoses

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was debating over the chapters of a book I wrote and was wondering about Chapter Names. So far I'm just going Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc. but what do you think is better? Giving them names, little spoilers about the chapter, symbolic names, roman numerals, what?

2. Ravenhart

Ravenhart New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I'd say it really depends. If you can find good names for the chapters that don't fail, kinda hard to explain that in detail, its quite cool. I find numbers superior to bad chapter names, for example. As for what the chapter names could be, that all depends on your preference I'd say. Personally I usually pick something related to the chapter, sometimes it is very vague, sometimes not at all. As for roman numbers I find that kind of... Used, I know I prefer seeing "Chapter Six" compared to "Chapter VI" or just "VI". That probably makes less sense than it did in my head, frightfully tired, hope it'll be some small help anyhow.

3. Astner

Astner New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The chapter number should be in the title of the chapters, since it's easier to remember what chapter you finished last by the number. As for a name for the chapters, I'd have to say no. It serves as a distraction and makes the story feel very artificial. A story should have a continuous flow.

4. Lug

Lug New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Agreed.

5. Miss_Fletcher

Miss_Fletcher Author of The Demon Girl

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hm. It depends on the style of your book, and if naming the chapters will bring anything to the whole experience. As a reader, I prefer simply the chapter number. I dislike beginning a chapter and the title giving me a 'hint' as to what's going to occur. As a writer, I like to experiment and name chapters, add quotes etc, but in the end end up stripping all the distractions (like Chapter Names) out, remembering what the reader in me likes.

PJx

6. kittenalive

kittenalive New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i agree with the others, it usually depends on the book and the writer, but if you put hints in it then the experience will kinda be spoiled, example. twilight series. Enough said? lol, putting hints in it, if ur not careful it may tell the reader everything that'll happen in the chapter, so i would suggest to stay with chapter numbers. but don't put in any roman numerals, becasue they can actually get pretty confusing if you forget what the numbers represent. so just stick with Chapter 1, Chapter 2, etc, etc.

Hope i was helpful!

7. MeltingRoses

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I must say that I have to agree with all of you. Twilight really gave away a lot of what was happening through the chapter names (especially Jacob's). And I also prefer Chapter One etc.
    But personally I find Roman Numerals interesting just because of the history behind the numbers, but then again it would have to match the writing in the book and for my book it probably woulnd't.

8. Chloe

Chloe Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I like just the Roman Numerals personally :) Looks neat and tidy and I like that/

9. kittenalive

kittenalive New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well that is true about the Roman numerals being neater, and the history behind them is intriguing, But some people who don't quite know all the numbers may very well get confused with all of it. I personally have no problem with them, but in my opinion, they would confuse the reader and prove to difficult to understand if you don't know the numbers. However it is a good way to learn them, that is, if you're willing lol.

10. Nikolaos

Nikolaos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would suggest just having Numbers as the chapter title. This doesn't give anything away and leaves the reader with some sort of suspense.

11. Necromancer

Necromancer Ranger of Ithilien

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  12. Eternal Dragon

Eternal Dragon Meus animus exuro vobis

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Depends on what kind of book you are writing.

Or you could invent your own style and go with that when writing more books.

Examples of good titles IMO:

I, II, III, IV, etc.

The beginning, The Tree, The Fall, The lonely, etc.. (the words after "the" should be something that can discribe the content of that chapter with one word.)

Fire, Darkness, Meeting, Star. (Almost like the previous one, but without the "the".)

Pictures, either a small one in the middle or a big coloured one that covers the entire side, is also an idea.

13. JamCloud

JamCloud New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why not have:

The First One
    The One After The First
    The One Continued From The Second
    The One Slipped In After The Third
    Its Not The Fifth Yet
    The One Lost Before Six
    Its Not The Fifth Any more

And so on.

14. MeltingRoses

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    This wouldn't work for my story, but I greatly enjoy it! It's tremendously humourous!