Changes in RotK

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Glorfy_of_Imladris, Dec 18, 2003.

1. Glorfy_of_Imladris

Glorfy_of_Imladris Mysterious Glorfy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Did you notice any changings, or mistakes in the film? I mean in details, not large changings like in TTT where Eomer isn't at Helmsdeep.

Something I noticed (and I suppose you did too :p): Celeborn accompagnies the ringbearers to the Undying Lands, while in the books he stayed in Middle-earth.

Other things?

2. DohHunter

DohHunter Community Defender

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Pippen lighting the beacons.

The dead army swarming the orc battalions in minas tirith (in the book they just take over the corsair ships, then are released).

Denethor's attitude and getting whacked on the head ;)

Faramir riding on the suicide run.

Eowyn quite alive after stabbing the witchking.....and then Theoden realizing she was there and saying goodbye.

Quite obviously, the absence of the sons of Elrond and the Dunedain (and through the paths of the dead).

But in my opinion, these changes were fine (except maybe the Denethor scenes) :ybounce:

3. Shinagani

Shinagani New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    While the scene with Aragorn leaping of the boats, charging the Orcs, and then having the Army of the Dead suddenly appear was cool. I think I would have liked to see everyone looked distressed at the coming of the Corsairs, and then see Aragorn's banner unfurl and have an army of men with him instead...

4. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Yeah that would have been cooler. It was just kind of like, the orcs going, oh Aragorn? And then they're all dead in a matter of minutes.

5. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    No Dol Amroth ah well cant have everything

6. PrinceOfMirkwood

PrinceOfMirkwood Elven Assasin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i think that in large, PJ's changes were for good. Although the desicion to cut the MoS really dissapointed me.

7. DohHunter

DohHunter Community Defender

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Extended Edition.

Mark my words, 100% he will be there, i'd put $1000 on it.

8. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    wasn't there some other guy called Imrahil in the book too? but not in the movie.

9. Glorfy_of_Imladris

Glorfy_of_Imladris Mysterious Glorfy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes, Prince Imrahil of Dol Amroth. He was the third commander in the battle at the Black Gate (besides Aragorn and Éomer)

10. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking yesterday if he was in the book or if it was somthing I had dreamt.

11. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Merry at the black gate btw anyonje know what those thingd dragging the catapults were looked kinda like rhinos

12. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    yeah, probably their versions of rhinos like oliphaunts are their versions of elefants.

13. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Yes no MoS, no Eowyn/Faramir, etc., were not there. But we have hope!! I mean really these are just things left out that will be on the EE. The only things I can think of that were actually changed were Merry at the Black Gate, Sam leaving Frodo then coming back to save him, Aragorn and Gandlaf not finding the White Tree bud, and Elrond coming to bring Aragorn Anduril. Am I missing anything?

14. amondray

amondray New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Elronds sons and the Dunedine Rangers go with Aragorn to the paths of the dead

15. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Some of the stuff that will be in the extended are Saruman, Faramir & Eowyn in the Houses of Healing, and the Mouth of Sauron. I could pick apart many of the changes made to this movie (I did an essay for school on just a few of the 100's of changes in FotR), but I really don't have time now.

16. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    The army of the dead being at minas tirith and the dunedain + sons of elrond not being there, it adds up and makes sense. if the dunedain werent there, then when aragorn gets there he is alone, so PJ decided to keep the dead guys on for a bit longer.

I was also annoyed that the silent watchers did nothing, in the books it was really cool the way they stopped the hobbits.

I also noticed the abscence of cair andros, the various groups of men from all regions of gondor and that there was no re-planting of the white tree, i missed that.

17. Aiglos

Aiglos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would have liked to see the blue swan banner of prince Imrahil charging into combat. I would also have liked the stuff in extended and the silent watchers outside Cirith Ungol.

However, I am comforted by the inclusion of Faramir/Eowyn, MoS and Saruman back in EE.

18. Mac

Mac New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Faramir went on the suicide run in the book. In fact, that was one scene PJ took straight from the book, where Denethor says (paraphrased) is there any Captain who will follow my orders, Faramir asks if he (Denethor) would rather he (Faramir) had died than Boromir, then Faramir saying if I return, i hope you'll think better of me.

I liked RotK best of the three movies, as I thought PJ stayed closest to Tolkien's writing. There were a couple of things I hated, however. Frodo telling Sam to go home???? BAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!! Stoopid change to the story. Yes, there was the gradual decline in Frodo, to the point where he even suspected Sam of wanting the ring, but the split was needless!

I also hated the Arwen arc. I don't mind that PJ expanded her character, but to imply that she almost left Middle Earth is absurd. From the moment of their love, her decision to remain was sealed.

It was dumb to put the reforging of the Sword that was Broken in RotK, too. But it fit with PJ's portrayal of Aragorn throughout the films as filled with anxiety and self-doubt. Through many readings of the trilogy, I have never felt that Aragorn doubted that now was his time, that he was the heir of Elendil who would fight Sauron. Yes, there was doubt as to who would win in the end, but NEVER a doubt about himself. I think PJ short-changed Elrond in this regard, too, making him a doubter and bitter about his daughter. He was saddened by her choice, of course, but not bitter.

Regardless, I liked RotK, best of the 3, and I like the series. I'm glad someone had the guts and $$ to make it.

Mac

19. Lady_of_Shalott

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I have to agree about that. The only reason I can think that PJ did that was to add suspense. As if it needed anymore! I mean, my gosh, I knew what was going to happen and I was still on the edge my seat.

20. will

will New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I was wondering. Were the people on the ships supposed to be the Haradrim from the south?? I loved that whole stuff with the Haradrims assistance but there was a lot left out from the story in terms of the more south of Gondor including Dol Amroth and across the river Anduin with Cair Andros.