Chances of a decent Dragonlance movie being made

Discussion in 'Dragonlance' started by Malazan the Moderate, Aug 25, 2016.

1. Malazan the Moderate

Malazan the Moderate Guard of Gondolin

Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    So, I watched the Dragons of Autumn Twilight movie for the first time today and it's bad. The animation, the pacing after the Inn of Last Home, the integration of CGI, the voice acting from some people, etc. I liked the 2D art style but wish they kept it for everything and the voice acting from Lucy Lawless and Kiefer Sutherland but that alone could not save it.

What do you guys think it would take for there to be a decent cinematic adaptation of Chronicles (and Legends)?

2. JIM

JIM zombie Turncoat

Ratings:
    +326 / 1 / -0
    i think the current fad is superheroes, while i would like to see a DL movie i doubt it would happen.
    while 5e D&D has brought new people to the genre, it is still a long way from the popularity of LOTR, why? well, D&D people tend to like other fantasy systems as well, whereas a lot of fantasy fans don't go for the D&D worlds.
    The main issue thus far has been the amount of D&D movies that have crashed and burned.
    all are rated at under 5/10 and did poorly at the box office, which doesn't bode well for D&D getting more movies in a hurry, however, recent news has it that a D&D movie is in development and if this does well there may be hope, though i doubt it.
    Added to all these issues, Dragonlance has not seen any development since the age of mortals was released, it's become one of the backwater settings of the system.
    fellowship of the ring cost $109,000,000 to make, and while it made 5-8 times that easily (somewhere in between i think) it is still a massive outlay for any potential director/creator to pay on something which just doesn't have the market. I think that if the cartoon had been more successful we may have had a decent chance of seeing a D&D movie in the near future

so, what do i think it will take? a fan of Dragonlance with a spare $ 100 mil in the bank who doesn't mind the very good chance of taking a loss.

3. Necrophidius

Necrophidius New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Loved the books, was super excited when I heard it was in development. Had to turn it off because nothing was working. Kiefer Sutherland as Raistlin didn't really sound right to me, every time he spoke I thought that to myself. The whole time spent watching, I kept feeling like they spent the vast majority of the budget on voice acting, then just slapped whatever they could together with the rest.

They would have done much better had they skipped the big names because the voice acting really wasn't that good anyway. Instead, investing in an attractive and uniform animation style, spending more time working with the voice actors sounding appropriate, and focusing on drawing the viewer in would have been much more valuable than attaching a few star's names to the credits.

I was not surprised when there were no follow-up films. If they're really wanting to tell the story of the Dragonlance Chronicles, I feel it'd be better told through an episodic mini-series. Breaking it up into 15-20 episodes per book would definitely provide more time for the viewers to grow more attached to the characters and story.

If they're wanting a movie, a story based around Fistandantilus would be much better.