Chainmaill, anyone doing it?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Gavaha, Aug 19, 2003.

1. Gavaha

Gavaha Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    well, I got mine, pre made rings, and they were 50 bucks for 10,000 of the rings, works out well

2. Bors

Bors New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Tilion, I would say it compairs well to rivited.
    The solid rings will hold 230lbs+ and the split rings are factory rated at ~80lbs. As far as knitting it's very easy with the right tools you can do about four sets (Solid/Split) a minute or more.
    The Stainless Steel punched rings and the split ring pliers can be bought fron the Ring Lord. The Stainless Steel Split Rings I buy from the Worth Company . The pricing depends on quantity the more you buy the greater the discount.

The split ring weighs the same as the punched ring which keeps the weight to minimum while maintaining strength.

You may be new but your off to a great start your stuff looks great. Your double row rings look like they would make a nice vest of Dragon Scale. I used to wind my own now I buy from the ring lord his selection is very large and the pricing is good. I only wing specialized stuff now.
    Split Rings are about all I work in now. There not realy period (because of the Stainless) except if your doing a japanese shirt.
    once in a while I run across pictures of a jananese shirt/vest made from double wound rings. They look very nice.

3. darkdragon

darkdragon The Black Prince

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I will keep you in mind..

4. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Same here.

5. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    last summer I was walking around the Elf fantasy fair here in the Netherlands and I got ensnared in a discussion about chainmail
    ( riveted or butted) with a medieval arms and armour salesman who had his stand there. I ended up owning a full chainmail hauberk and enough chainmail rings to provide the whole of Rohan with enough armour for the next 500 years to come.
    Since then, 5 months ago, I am trying to make myself a functioning suit of armour without any success, mostly ending up having a very large drink and my chainmail rings strewn around the house. But what dya think happened yesterday-eve ?.........
    yesterday eve I finally succeeded in linking 4 rings into 1 without
    any anger or cuts.
    I could promise to show it here when I'm done but I am afraid we have all grown grey by that time.:(

6. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, for impatient people like us it's good thing those things come also as full coats instead of unatached rings only.
    If it were otherwise I'm afraid the likes of us would go into battle
    unprotected.

7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Once you get used to wearing armour of any sort, it's amazing just how quickly you feel "naked" without it. I used to fight in my re-enacting group with no armour (apart from the compulsory helmet & gloves), but now I wear a knee-length padded gambeson under an elbow to knee chainmail hauberk, as well as vambraces, and if I ever go out to fight without that stuff on now, I feel so vulnerable! And that's in a group that doesn't bludgeon each other!

8. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I work on it while "watching" LotR or other movies I've seen hundreds of times. I mostly just listen to it, but it's a good background.
    Some of my favorite chainmailling movies...
    FotR
    TTT
    Dragonheart
    Willow