Cg!

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Infinitum007, Aug 24, 2004.

1. Infinitum007

Infinitum007 the beat goes on

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am getting really annoyed with all the freakin CG that George is putting in Ep.2 and 3! IT looks terrible and does not make it really feel as real as it could be. I saw a clip of Padme and all there was, was her in her costume and Green screen ALL around her! I don't like all the new stupid CG aliens. They looked more real in my opinion in the older ones when they were Puppets! And the clone troopers! not one suit was made for an extra! It was all CG! GRRRRR. Remember that awsome scene in ROTJ in the imperial docking bay when darth vader comes off of the shuttle and there were all those real storm troopers and the whole docking bay was not CG. That scene makes you go, WOW even now. And when in Ep 2 when Obi-Wan looks down on the clone army I did not feel threatened or scared or giddy, because it was SOOOOOOOO obvious that it was fake. I have an imagination and I can elaborate but it is rediculous how much CG George chooses to put in the movies now.

2. Padmé

Padmé Mrs Cascador

Ratings:
    +205 / 0 / -0
    CGI is just a way of showing the full potential of an image, I love the CGI in the films--- looks fantastic--- so what if its not there--- its a fantasy film afterall

3. Infinitum007

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, only do you see what I mean about the docking bay scene. I mean going overboard with those kinda scenes when he could have put more effort into making more props and costumes and so forth.

4. isengard111

isengard111 The Master Chief

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I agree, George is going crazy with these computers. LotR had hundreds of extras, al needing hours of make-up done to them, and it looked great. That SOB Lucas is just taking the easy way out.

And the main villian for Ep. 3 will be completely CGI. Damn you, George!

5. Winterine

Winterine Ranger-Bard

Ratings:
    +54 / 0 / -0
    Really? You're sure of that? :eek: That is not good news.

6. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    It depends on who you think the main villain is...there is a bad guy who is all CG though. Personally I dont mind. I didnt mind the CG work in LOTR or Matrix Reloaded. Its all a matter of taste. I have no problem recognizing the puppetry in The Thing or Alien or the nightmare before christmas but I love those movies.

I think the main problem with SW 1 and 2 are that padme and aniken are idiots. Or closer still that the writer is an idiot. but I will still see any star wars movie just because they are fun.

7. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    It really depends on the direction that the movie's director takes with CGI. The only thing that matters is what the director does with the resources that are at his disposal.

Take the LOTR example from above, there are actually a lot of all CGI sequences in the movies, such as some of the sweeping panng overhead/overview shots of the battle during the Last Alliance, all the soldiers were computer generated (find out more from the EE DVD's Appendises); while at other times, CG is used to expand and enhance what maybe a few dozen actors are doing, such as the battle at Helms Deep and other closer shots at various battle scenes (I think PJ had about 200 extras and stunts at the most at any given time, I could be wrong, but not more, only less).

What PJ does with his computer effects team is that he has a clear direction of what he wants, and then he is involved in the process of carefully breaking down on what is to be done with models and what does to the computers. Lucas, on the other hand, does not seem to do that very clearly, or at least he doesn't have that clear vision of what he wants (post-production starts way, way before a draft of the screen play is available on any of the prequels). Of course, there is a difference between the two sagas in that LOTR already has the story, and the designs can be worked on to reproduce the characters, environments and cultures that are already set, while in Star Wars they come up with things that are in many cases novel.

But that's the thing, in LOTR, the designs, so to say, follows the function. in Star Wars, without a script, the design is done for designing's sake. Like Gollum, if you've seen the TTT's EE DVD's extras, you'll know that it was a very organic process, they try to make it work the best they could, by any means possible, period. The same goes for many of the other characters and creatures. In SW, like Yoda, the CG team said "Maybe we should do Yoda in CG" and then they did all the tests and things like that to convince GL that Yoda should be a CG charactet. Of course that worked out, but that's the path that many of the SW designs were put together -- they wanted to make Yoda CG, and then the worked a way around obstacles to make Yoda CG.

See my point? While PJ uses all his resources to realize a clear vision that he has, no matter what would be used, the only requirement being that it gets the results, be it miniatures, CG, matte painting, sets, custumes, etc. While in the SW camp, the do it in CG because they can, because that's what ILM does.

I have a feeling that ILM isn't what it used to be anymore... especially with the proliferation of CG techniques throughout the industry. Look at the new effects-heavy movies that come out these days, they're often done by independent effects houses. Back in the day ILM meant something groundbreaking, like Jurassic Park; now look at the biggest movies of the last few years, LOTR, The Matrix movies, they were done by Weta (and Weta Digital) and ESC (a company formed just to make the Matrix sequels) respectively. Industrial Light & Magic seems to have lost its magic... and I think that has a lot to do with the fact that these is no one leading them with clear visions, and all the projects that they do now have lost that magic touch.

8. Infinitum007

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yes indeed, George is seriously getting lazy. CGI has a hard time aging well and if you look at the old star wars movies ...TIMELESS! That is why people like the older ones soooo much, people can recogize a truly timeless movie that a lot of effort and time was put into. It pays off. Yeah I no longer go OHHH when I hear ILM is doing a movie instead I go YEah when I hear WETA digital is doing a movie because they really strut their stuff. A word to George...."Time and Effort, yes they are a good good thing". People not just freaks like us but bland normal people can recognize all of that and yeah star wars is fun but it is no longer ground breaking. IF I were a director and I had all that material available that George does I would put my whole soul into making a movie up to its potential.

9. isengard111

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Let's hope George can pull a PJ on this, for all our sakes.

10. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    You guys realize they will never release the original versions again right?

11. Infinitum007

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yup, isn't the DVD trilogy the special edition ones? I have the origionals on VHS.

12. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    They are supposed to be more "special" than the 1997 Speical Editions, i.e., more "enhanced" digiatal effects added posterior

13. isengard111

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    One good change in the special special editions: Han shoots first.

14. Infinitum007

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  15. kartaron

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    You like that? I hate that greedo shoots... and I really hate the bugs bunny howl that Luke has in ESB when he falls from the tower.

I wont buy these unless he fixes those two problems

16. Infinitum007

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    If you listen that is actually the same yell that the emporer yells when he falls. It angers me. I prefer the origionals in a second. I do like that extra bit with Han though.

17. Aragorn Elessar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
  18. Infinitum007

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0