Cell phones in school

Discussion in 'Rants & Scams' started by I. R. Shogun, May 31, 2007.

1. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Alright, I know it's the 21st century and everything, but what's the damn point of this? And don't give me that "What if there's an emergency" crap, if there's an emergency your folks really can't call you and expect you to just say "There's trouble afoot" and leave the school, they have to call the school itself and go through that process. So really, unless you;re cheating or doing the new age equivalent to passing notes there's no freaking point.

Which brings me to another point, why pass notes these days? Especially when most of the time you pass it to people in the halls and have plenty of time to tell them whatever you freaking wrote down!

2. Plish

Plish Soul Sailing Psychonaut

on mountain of fire, waiting for the ash to guide
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    meh....I've seen kids sit down at the same lunch table, right next to each other, hand each other notes, written by them and to the other person, and proceed to read them silently to themselves and then discuss them afterward...

3. Cheesy Goodness

Cheesy Goodness The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    The only real practical use I can see is to call parents if there's an after school activity for kids who aren't old enough to drive, and even that's not a great reason.

Past that you're 100% right.

4. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Ok, who says ''afoot''? Afoot? AFOOT? .... nevermind.....

I think cell phones are totally fine in schools because i use my cell phone to check the time...
    ( I lost my hand watch :p)

And believe me, it's almost impossible to cheat, and if you get caught, you can just say 'bye' to your phone until the end of the semester..
    So, i think cell phones in school are fine...

5. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Seriously? I don't usually bring my phone to school and I've never used it to cheat but from what I've heard it's pretty easy.

Yeah, I've seen this too, it's crazy. I know girls who write letters to other girls they see every day :rolleyes:.

And I more or less agree with you, Shogun. Like I said, I don't bring my phone to school and I rarely find myself needing it.

6. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    I've used my phone once or twice for "emergencies" in which I've forgotten stuff and need it brought in immediately.

I've also seen others who have used them for emergencies. Generally they are not too much of a problem over here. It's quite impossible to cheat using them...so yea

7. Lady Cyllíeth

Lady Cyllíeth WillExplodeUnderPressure

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    Using cell phones is prohibited in German schools since Feb 07.
    Problem solved :p

8. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Lol shame

9. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Yeah German schools are too strict..

Last edited: Jun 1, 2007
  10. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I've forgotten stuff and needed it brought to, but it wasn't too hard to walk down to the office and ask to use the phone there. Then again my school office staff people like anyone who isn't stupid, so that may be why.

11. Plish

Plish Soul Sailing Psychonaut

on mountain of fire, waiting for the ash to guide
    Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Last time I asked to use the office phone the lady wouldnt stop glaring at me like I had done her a personal wrong...

12. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Yea but you're usually "serenaded" with some sort of speech involving "you should already have it" and stuff like that. Staff are never too friendly with students until much later years :S

13. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    Cell phones in school? That's a tough one but i have to agree on some points. For those kids who aren't driving yet and have after school activities then they should be permitted to use one and even then their parents should have a chat with them about the uses of a cell phone. If the parents were smart they'd buy those phones where you pay for a limited amount of minute and that's it. As for the kids who use them to cheat, I didn't even know they can do that! *That shows you how much I use mine.* Anyway, as for the kids who use them talk to whoever they want to that's stupid. If you want to talk to you friend go over to him/her. Personally a regular kid having a cell phone in school...well that shouldn't be allowed. I never had a cell phone until I went to college and that was because I drove 2.5 hours to get to the school and the fact my classes let out so late at night. I called my rents to let them know i was on my way. I hardly use it now unless it's an emergency other than that I can't stand phones. Another thing.....6 and 9 year olds don't need a freaking cell phone. My husband's cousin has two kids those ages and they have them. Well whatever. I know my kids won't have them at that age. Jeesh. What do you guys think?? Well I've added my two cents.

14. Foinikas

Foinikas Playing backgammon!

Ratings:
    +97 / 0 / -0
    Youngsters these days....tsk,tsk,tsk!:p

I remember once when I was going to school,it must have been some...7-8 years ago or so a guy from our class had a cell-phone(yeah not everybody had a cell-phone back then)and the French teacher made a small fuss about sending messages during the class and stuff like that and she said something like "So if they make small/portable televisions tomorrow what will you do?Bring those at school as well?"and somebody said "They already exist miss"

lol

15. Unraveller

Unraveller <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I've no problem with kids having them but they shouldn't be turned on during class. One good reason for having them is the role they've played in the school shootings, alerting the authorities and supplying information on the situation to police. So have them, but don't turn them on unless you're actually using them.

16. Warlock Lord

Warlock Lord I am a Fashion Statement

Ratings:
    +94 / 0 / -0
    yeah... im with rav on this one...

17. Khamul

Khamul Roaming

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I don't think I would made it through High School without having my cell phone, heh. Anyways, I don't really see what the harm is as long as it doesn't really distract from the learning environment - which is watered down enough to begin with. As long as schools keep pushing AP programs in the school in order to get state funding, the advanced programs are going to be watered down and there's really no need for a highly focused experience. =/

Heh, my little brother's public high school is all AP classes which I thought was pretty ridiculous. You can't expect every single student to be on an advanced level, but I guess it looks good to the state and for parents

As for passing notes, I would just assume that people would do it so you can have something more tangible to remember later or just something to take up time in class when it looks like you are taking notes

18. BlackScorpion

BlackScorpion Eternal Idiot

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'm not in school anymore, one of the elder ones here if you want to call me that. But since I had a cell phone (it was pretty late - they weren't 'in' that much yet when I was in high school), I have had it with me the whole time. But it was either turned of or the sound was turned of and it was always in my backpack. So actually, I don't even think anyone even knew I had one. I had it with me indeed for the 'what if an emergency' cases, or just to be able to call my folks after school and tell them I was going to be a bit later, or things like that. I think that in this day and age, it's actually even a good thing to have it with you at all times. Of course, you have to use it wisely. Such as not having it on sound while in class or continualy checking it or trying to use it to cheat. I mean the correct 'having it with you' behavior of having it with you but that is also it.

Just my two cents ^-^
    The old one...

19. Disco Jezebel

Disco Jezebel Speak Your Right Words

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I had a cell phone and only uses it when I needed too. The basics like "Hey, mom my cars alarm is killed my battery." Or something along thoughs line... But there was a epic cell phone momment at our high school. You see in the south hurricane season isn't always fun. So one mourning I was heading to Math..the weather had got really bad and the school was going to be on lock down after the bells. While in the middle of Class change the power went out, Pitch Black. (Ridge View had no windows in the hallways) For a second some people freaked out, prolly the little 9th graders. Within Seconds people poped out the cell phones and quickly made their way to class...and yes I was one of them..I am also gulity of texting...but it was always were no one was aware of it...I like to be sneaky sneaky about that stuff.

20. Kenshin

Kenshin Drifter

Ratings:
    +138 / 0 / -0
    *applaudes* :D