celebrian

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by celebrimor, Feb 3, 2004.

1. celebrimor

celebrimor Elven Jewel-smith

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeh i was just looking at some elven family tress and i saw celebrian was the daughter of galadriel and celeborn and wife of elrond (just sliped my mind) and we all no galadriel and elrond both had one of the 3 rings..... so i am just wondering is there any reaso why J.R.R. Tolkein made it that elrond and galadriel would be realated and both have the rings? its just kind of odd to me snce there realated and all but i am just wondering

2. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I don't think so, they were just related by marriage and they were too of the most powerful and wisest Elves at the time. I think I read or heard from a friend (and somebody correct me if I am wrong here) that two of the Elven rings were actually give two Gil Galad and he then gave one to Cirdan, and befroe his death the other to Elrond.

3. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    You're right EBM. Found this in the Encyclopedia of Arda

Galadriel kept her Elven-ring throughout the later years of the Second Age, and the duration of the Third. Gil-galad gave his rings to lords in his service - Narya to Círdan at the Grey Havens, and Vilya to Elrond, who used it to found a haven of his own against Sauron in the midst of Eriador - Imladris, that Men came to call Rivendell. Círdan, too, passed on his Ring, to a Grey stranger who sailed into his havens out of the West, who would come to be known in later legends as Mithrandir, or Gandalf.