Can you actually learn to sword fight?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by StBarbarella, May 24, 2004.

1. Geirulf

Geirulf Djin Bard / Illuminater

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Has any one put out HEMA Alliance? They are pretty hard core if that what your in to. they go in to studying period manuals such as Talhoffer's treatises but they do have fully armored combat with steel.

2. Tommo

Tommo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    For years I laughed at the fighting in Excalibur, with the guys dancing round in plate armour and practically fencing with the weapons, "how ridiculous" I thought. And even after spending 5 years fencing, 12 years martial arts with frequent dips into japanese and chinese sword forms, and over 25 years LRP and teh odd "re-enactment" society, I went with some friends to see a display at the Royal Armouries in Leeds (UK) where there is a taem of historians who have been studying a bunch of medieval germanic texts on sword fighting, and these two guys showed exactly how soldiers were trained, from years of studying the actual techniques from the real books, and it was seriously eye opening.
    Major debunking of a lot of myths about medieaval sword play!!!
    Broad sword, or great sword or whatever you want to call a big two-hander was all about close quarter fighting, rather than heaving and cleaving great lumps out of the opponent, and the reason most swords had a point on the pommel was to temple bash the opponent at close range NOT very noble these knights. A two handed sword was used more like a spear or quarter staff, with the bulk of the blade being blunt enough that it could be grabbed and only the top 6-8 inches would be sharpened so that a warrior could jump on his foe and force the tip of his sword into his enemies visors eye guard and sllide it into the face. The athletic moves were also unbelievable to someone who expected the armour to be largely cumbersome, but they were doing roles, and jumps and all sorts, and this wasnt replica armour, this was stuff that was genuine, out of the Royal Armouries stores, hundreds of years old cleaned up with new straps and stuff. They let us feel the wight of the pieces afterwards, but as the guy said, "once its on, its designed to distribute the weight across the body, so its surpisingly lighter than you'd think when on". Of course it hepled that the old warrior guys trained daily and were about ten times as strong and fit as most 21st century pizza munchers..

If someone made a Hollywood movie, and had these guys doing a genuine fight, using genuine swords and armour, using the techniques taught to genuine mediaeval warriors, the audience, and porbably many "educated historians" would think they were making fun of them, and say it looked "stupid".

Last edited: Apr 22, 2012
  3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Any martial art is about economy of movement, the most efficient workmanlike way of defeating your enemy. Real moves are short, sharp and brutal and to some viewers, don't make for very exciting fight scenes. I for one love accurate swordplay in movies.

4. Geirulf

Geirulf Djin Bard / Illuminater

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    in theatrical fencing you are thought to fight up to full speed but when you preform you only go at 1/4 speed so non-fighters can keep up with what is happening.

5. derval

derval New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

6. derval

derval New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am not sure because I haven't read evryone's replys but I would agree that HEMA is the most likely place to learn how to actually sword fight ... I am a member of sca and a re enactment group as well as being a HEMA martial artist (Historical European Martial Arts)... I took fencing for a couple years and all tho it is a great sport it is just that a sport ... sca and re enacting id super fun but realy more a way of entertaining o es self than learning to fight for the most part ...HEMA is a martial arts style from the medievil period and they study European wrestling /grappling as well as various weapons such as long sword messer and rapier to name a few ... they use steel practice swords or federshwert swords in their trainning the protective gear we wear is similar in appearance to that used by fencing athletes however of a much stronger Guage for the helmet and more robust padding for the jacket and gloves . if it is sword fighting in as authentic a form possible that you want to learn it is definitely the way to go...
    Yes there is the option of learning eastern styles and that is all well and good but unless they are the styles you wanted to learn in the first place why settle for a studying a different style from what you wanted to learn in the first place

7. Mad hatter

Mad hatter Old member, New account

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +233 / 4 / -0
Search tags for this page
how can i do swordfighting in uk
how to learn sword fighting
how to swordfight
how to teach yourself to sword fight
i want to learn sword fighting
learn how to sword fight