Can the ring change in size?

Discussion in 'Debates' started by Elementa, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Elementa

Elementa New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Okayy so I was watching the fellowship of the ring the other day and as per usual I was absorbing all of the awesomeness of the film, until I thought to myself 'hang on a sec, how did the ring go from fitting Sauron's finger, to fitting both Bilbo AND Frodo?'
    does it ever state in the book that the ring change in size to fit the wearer or am I just completely overanalysing the film?

2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    You should read the Lord of the Rings... the Ring has a destiny of it's own and chooses the wearer, and its powers are not always the same for each owner. And it does change sizes at will; "The Ring had the ability to change size. As well as adapting to fingers of varying size, from Sauron's to Frodo's, it sometimes suddenly expanded in order to give its wearer the slip".

3. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Sparrow has covered it well - remember the ring is not just a tool; it has a semi-conscious state. It doesn't exactly think but it can detect the world around it and also react to that environment. Notice how when its in Hobbiton with Bilbo it spends many decades there dormant and is hardly ever used. Whilst once it gets nearer to creatures it can more easily control and dominate it will start its expanding trick where it slips off their finger; this is how it escapes Gollum - however that plan backfires as in a network of orc and troll caves its picked up by a Hobbit.

Hobbits themselves, its theorized by Gandaulf, have a natural minor resistance to the evils of the ring. This partly explains why Bilbo and later Frodo was able to carry the ring for so long - and in Frodo's case carry it far into the lands of Mordor whilst also accompanied by another hobbit (had Sam been a human chances are things would have been very different).