Camera Purchase Questions!

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by Sevi, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Soo a friend of mine told me that the site "justcanon.net" that we were talking about is not a fraud, its a British site that sells canon products but it brings them from Hong Kong. Which means that if something happens to your camera they will send it there to be fixed which could take a while...

Also I have a question! Do all the lenses fit with all the cameras?

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Canon currently use two mounts on their lenses - EF and EFS
    The EF mount will fit to any current generation camera body without fail.
    The EFS mount will only fit to "crop" sensor camera bodies such as the rebel series (eg 400D, 550D); the xxD series (eg 50D, 60D) and the 7D. It will not fit fullframe camera bodies (physically they will not mount) such as the 5DM2 and the 5D.

Note that the EFS line is very small (something like 9 lenses) and whilst some are very good optics equal to the pro series L almost - its not a major lens line, but rather the support line. The EF mount however is canons main mount and has all the rest of canons lens range.

Also the setup for that website that you describe is "grey import" which is as you say the bodies will have to go back to the country of origin for warranty repairs - you can have it fixed in your country however if you are prepared to pay for the repair costs or if the repair is not warranty covered. Note however that canon lenses (all as far as I know) come with international warranties which means they will be fixed in any country regardless of where they were bought from *

* note I recall reading that some change might be occuring here with regard to HongKong releases not having international warranties but I've not looked into it in any great depth at all - be aware that it might or might not be an issue.

3. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I see! Thank you again! :)

4. gumboot

gumboot lorcutus.tolere

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I may be too late, but depending what sort of video you want to be shooting, I wouldn't recommend a Canon 5D. If you're set on a DSLR you're probably going to get better results going with something like the Panasonic GH2, however keep in mind that no DSLR is going to be as good as a camera actually tailored to shooting video.

5. gumboot

gumboot lorcutus.tolere

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Also regarding your question about lenses, as well as the Canon EF mount, you can get adapter rings for the Canon 5D that will enable it to mount other lenses such as the Pentax K-mount and the Nikon F-mount. If you want to shoot serious video I'd recommend getting yourself a PL mount adaptor; this is the standard lens mount for all cinema lenses except Panavision lenses (which use the PV Mount) and will enable you to mount 35mm Cinema lenses on your camera. If you have a limited selection of lenses you'll be able to rent lenses from film rental companies and increase your versatility.

6. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Thank you gumboot for your reply! You seem to know a lot about cameras. I did buy one, a Canon 550D. From a little research I found out that as far as the shooting video is concerned 550D and 5D dont have many differences, when shooting in normal lighting. So since I couldnt afford 5D, I thought I should invest on good lenses more than the camera body, until I have more money to buy a better one. I havent bought any lenses either, because a friend of mine has the Canon 5D and many many lenses so I borrowed from him this one time I had to shoot something. Although I should propably start saving money to buy my own lenses some time soon..

And welcome to the forum! Do you like photography or filming?

7. gumboot

gumboot lorcutus.tolere

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey, yes I do like photography and filming. :) Photography is something of a hobby (along with fantasy writing, which is what brought me here!), but filmmaking is what I do for a job. The 550D is a pretty good choice. I'd say it's probably actually better than the 5D because the sensor size is closer to Super35 (35mm motion picture film) which means you get a closer Depth of Field. Knowing someone with a lot of lenses is actually a pretty good reason to pick a particular camera, because as you clearly know, the lenses are the really expensive part!

If you want to shoot video on a Canon I strongly recommend you check outMagic Lantern; it's a third-party firmware upgrade that enables a whole host of features in Canon cameras that help with shooting video (such as audio metering and zebras). Best of all, it runs parallel with your existing Canon firmware so it doesn't actually alter or affect your existing firmware in anyway, and all you have to do to restore your camera to its original form is uninstall Magic Lantern.

Best of luck with your projects!

8. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I am so jealus of you! Doing filmmaking for a living is my dream. You should puost some photos of yours here so we can see your work.

I have heard of Magic Lantern, it seems really handy. I will definetely use it in my next project. Thanks for the tip :)

9. gumboot

gumboot lorcutus.tolere

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well I've got some of it online here. It's very much a hobby, and as you can see my main interest is landscape photography (I guess I'm in the ideal country for that!). In particular I like landscapes that inspire my writing. I'd like to do more candid photography of people but I always feel a bit self-conscious photographing people.

10. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Nice photos! I really liked the cemetary ones. What an amazing place! It looks like a set from a movie. New Zealand is truly beautiful! You should definetely try taking photos of people!
    What camera do you use?

11. gumboot

gumboot lorcutus.tolere

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My primary camera I use at the moment is a Panasonic DMC-G2 which is comparable to the Canon 550D with the major difference being it doesn't have an optical viewfinder and pentaprism but uses a digital live viewfinder instead. I chose that camera mostly because I do a lot of my photography while hiking in pretty remote areas and the Micro 4/3 system of the Panasonic DSLRs allows for substantially smaller camera body and lenses so it's less bulk and weight to carry.

Most of the photos on that site are taken with the G2, although there's a few with a variety of other cameras ranging from 35mm to cheap little digital point-and-shoot cameras.

12. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I used to have a Nikon D60 and now the Canon so I dont really know anything about Panasonic cameras. But that one seems good. I really like the sharpness and the colors in most of your photos. And I understand how less body and lenses weight is important if you have to carry it around a lot. I get quickly tired when I have mine hanging from my neck. And the bag just adds extra weight so Ive regreted most times I carried it with me during trips...