Camera Purchase Questions!

Discussion in 'User Created Art' started by Sevi, Dec 14, 2010.

1. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I want to buy a new camera but not for taking photos but mostly for taking video.

At first I wanted to buy an HD video camera (which is the normal thing to do), but I was told that for the amount of money I want to give, a DSLR camera with video is much better. Directors use them in order to shoot short films and stuff.

I was also told that the best camera for that purpose is Canon D5. I searched it and watched a video that was shot with this camera and is truly amazing. Its like it was shot in film.

So does anyone know anything about this?
    Any information will be much appreciated :)

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Full name is Canon 5DM2 - the M2 is important as the original 5D does not have video at all (the 5DM2 was the flagship with video on the DSLR world). Generally speaking its a very respectable video quality and as you say for what you want the DSLR is lot cheaper than the pro series video camera with similar capabilities (Eg lens swapping and variable aperture lenses).

However do some research because you will need more than the camera body alone for effective video work - idealy a tripod with a fluid video head is required to help ensure minimal shake during video capture. That said if you've the software (sadly this also costs) and something like a harness setup handheld can also work very well with the DSLR.

Further there are adaptors such as hoods to cover over the LCD to give a more viewfinder usage (because - far as I know - you only use liveview with video mode and can't use the viewfinder (because the mirror is up).

The 5DM2 is also pretty much canons top fullframe (35mm) camera body and sports a fantastic usable ISO range which greatly helps with lighting.

In short the DSLR is a viable option for the video enthusiast - but its not going to do it all on its own and for the ideal setup you will want to look into support items to give you the best possible results. Further you'll also want to look at lenses to use with the camera body - either zooms or primes as your needs demand it.

EDIT: I don't have many links on this - mostly because I've no video DSLR of my own (I do want one however!) but you might find some good information here:
    http://www.talkwildlife.com/
    look in forums and the filming user groups for some tips on usage. Also I'm reminded that you'll ideally need a dedicated sound recording setup as well as the DSLR - the onboard recording mic is not really up to the task, but it does offer a plugin point to allow an external mic. Or you can use a separate mic all together and then sync sound to video in editing

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
  3. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0

Thank you for your post OR :)
    I do have some questions..

I have a very good tripod (not mine but a friend do anyway...) so that wont be a problem...but I was a little confused by: "That said if you've the software (sadly this also costs) and something like a harness setup handheld can also work very well with the DSLR. "
    Software for what? And what is a harness setup handheld?

Also I barely understood anything you said on the two others paragraphs but thats because Im irrelevant >.>

By the way I found one canon 5dM2 on sale! Although I hope thats the one I mean...is it?
    http://www.justcanon.net/product_info.php?products_id=173434

4. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Software to remove the shake brought on by handholding the camera instead of using it on a tripod - something far more noticable with video than with stills. The harness setup is designed to hold the camera against your body with more stability than your hands give alone - I've not got a link for it however - but try lurking around a video forum and I'm sure you can pick up some info on these.

As to the website it does not appear on http://www.resellerratings.com/ (the website itself) so I can't say if the site is trustworthy or not (esp as I don't know Greek based websites for sale). Generally go to somewhere like Amazon or any other big leading trader and find the price there - anywhere selling significantly under those prices is generally either a scam site or grey import (which has problems because grey imports are not covered by canon warranties - save in the country they were imported from).

As for the other things - LCD is the liveview screen on the back of the camera body - which is what you use to view with instead of the viewfinder when using the video mode. The "hood" simply covers over the LCD screen and gives you another viewfinder eyecup to view through.

5. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Ok I got it now. Well I did have a video camera before but I never had much of a problem with shaking while shooting video. Is DSLR cameras more sensitive?

The website claims to be British and the camera is on sale, its normal price is the same as the other sites..but I dont know if I get it from there cause I dont feel very safe to buy something so expensive online..who knows what could go wrong...

Thank youu OR :)

6. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I don't know if the DSLR is more or less sensitive to shake as compared to the regular video camera. My gut feeling is that its not, but that in all things attempting to minimise the shake is important to produce a smother video picture as opposed to the "shaky cam" effect.

As for online purchases I've bought a few things online at very high prices; but I only did so after making sure that the website/dealer was sound by asking around (mostly asking around photography forums my self). Ask around a video forum or two and I'm sure you'll pick up some tips on good reliable retailers outside of the big dealers for Greece (and I'm sure there must be a few good Greek video forums with similar info that you can tap into)

7. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Well I think I decided Ι WILL buy Canon d5m2! I think it will be a good purchase although right now I dont really have all the money...but I will once I get the Christmas present from work!

Ill ask around to see where to buy it then! Although if I bought it from here maybe i could pay not in cash but the other way...which I dont know in English...lol

8. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Wait wait the other way? Not using monies?????????????

There are other ways to pay without monies?!?!?!?!!

And remember if you get the 5DM2 alone you just get the camera body - you won't have a lens to go with it. And a quality lens is going to be an important consideration

9. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I mean the other way that you give the money little by little and not altogether silly wolf!

Yeah I know...the lenses is another story...I will have to spend much much time deciding which ones to buy...

10. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    ahh I know the method you mean - remember if you pay by that option sometimes you can get a 12/6 month 0 interest monthly payment option - but you have to be really careful and make sure you pay each other - otherwise it can ramp up to something like +20% or something crazy on top of the original price (the idea being that some people will slip up and thus end up spending more long term instead of the same or less short term

11. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I know what you mean. I will try to pay most money in advance and just pay an amount like this so it wont be to high or for too long.

I usually dont like to buy things like that cause I end up overpaying them...but I think if I be a bit careful this time it totally worth it!

12. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    hehe just be carefull and don't overpay - on stuff like this overpaying adds up to a lot :(

Also what lenses are you thinking off? You've got to have at least one or the camera won't do anything ;)

13. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I know thaaat Im not THAT stupid....

Im thinking buying a 24-70 mm at first so that Ill have wide angle and normal lense and later a telephoto one... I think I get the names correct?

So you think thats a good idea?

14. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Sevi's has been researching indeed - that is a very good lens indeed - widely used by pros and amateurs alike and certainly up to the challenge. Of course experience is the key factor as well as getting used to the setup, but that lens does mark a good starting point indeed (at least photographically - I assume the same for film - however you might find that the focus shifts a little as the zoom shifts - not a major problem for stills; but for video it might be a tricky thing if you want to zoom a shot rather than remain with a static angle of view)

15. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Oooh Im so happy I got it right!!! Although all these lenses cost so much :( almost as much as the body of the camera!!! :( :(

Focus will be a problem I know :( they told us at school that usually there is one person only adjusting the focus while shooting...but I guess at first I will just have to keep it stable and not changing it too much so that it wont mess my shot...

16. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Scary fact: I've thus far bought 4 lenses and only 1 was cheaper than the price of my camera when new - and only just - lenses are expensive; the bonus is that they'll last a good number of years (decades for something as good as the L lens you just mentioned) whilst the bodies will often only remain leading edge for 2/3 years or less.

Focusing is an interesting area because I've seen several setups for focusing with the DSLR which have an external motor for focusing which rubs on the focusing wheel of the lens. Again this is an area I really only know little bits of info on, but its again part of the fact that the good DSLR for video is a component of a larger setup - geared out fully its an impressive setup - without the fancy addons its works but it might be harder to get what you want.

17. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    That is scary!!!!!!! So after 2-3 years Ill have to throw away my camera and buy a new one??

Ill start with the basics to see how it goes and maybe Ill start adding the fancy stuff as the shooting needs grow bigger...but I think for now I'll fine with a body and a lens!

18. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    hehe only if you want to stay at the head of the game - the 5DM2 should remain very viable for a long time yet :) It's just more a measure of how fast the digital world advances next to the optics world.

And yes start with the basics - pro range body and lens and you're ready to go!

19. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Ohh I know what you mean...its the same with computers...you buy the top pc for this year and next year it worths half the price...(sort of)

Well thank you kind wolf for your sharing of knowledge and advices! When the time comes I will let you know when I buy it and from where! :)

20. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    hehe good luck indeed :)