Calling all regulars!

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by Crusader, May 17, 2008.

1. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, usually the steam punk I've come across is Fantasy mixed with steam age technology. So maybe our experiences are just different.

2. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I've got it in my head that it's a lot like firefly yknow? The way the core was, versus the way the outer planets were. Our impressions are probably different, but I think it'll all come together nicely.

3. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Well firefly did make me add the idea of western into it, but people dont seem to want that....

4. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I wouldn't know how to write for the western part, tbh. Not as easily anyway. :)

What parts of this do we need down completely before starting it?

Maybe if we got an OP started...or were we going to use yours, Crusader? If so, we may need to narrow it a wee bit...give some background of the environment, etc. I liked it, especially the mysterious figure. Adds a bit of the supernatural. Maybe it's a force that was awakened by something, or just with the passing of time...perhaps written in an ancient religion that few follow in the modern times?

5. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Western as in cowboyish, right?

6. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I think so. I like the terrain of the west being used, but I think a more middle-eastern feel would be more fun. *shrugs* I'm flexible though :D

7. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Or we could do global? Cities based around different parts of the world?

8. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    That'd make it hard to have character interaction though, wouldn't it?

9. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well I had suggested earlier that we try to travel from city to city...but yea it would make it somewhat hard. Unless ofc we implement some method of travel the people have managed to come up with to travel between the cities?

10. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Tunnels? That'd be interesting to say the least. I'd assume cities wouldn't be that far apart.

Or are you thinking something faster? If there's a plague, though, I'd estimate that everything official would be shut down...so that rules out anything like trains or public transportation.

11. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    tunnels across the planet?

The OP i did was just an idea generation practice, I told other people to give it a try and we may combine the ideas everyone likes out of them, so if people are still up for that feel free to do so. I think its a good way to get ideas by viewing them in situe rather than bullet points.

the mysterious figure/blood plague already have an explanation that forms the basis of that idea, though I dont know whether to say it now or leave it in for dramatic mystery later on (I like leaving things out till later).

Numerous cities has a problem of transport and also if the blood plague is going on it kinda violates the quananteen going on.

What we could have is either a method of travel deemed safe such as magic-teleportation of since we're venturing steampunk, a dirigible.

What we could do is have the 'party' as it were, be scouts for the city to investigate other sites that have been hit by the blood plague and other cities that havent to try and determine common causes, links and such in hopes of discovering how to fight it.

12. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Not across the entire planet but perhaps between close cities :p I like yours better though.

13. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I'm cooking something up now...just something for everyone to take a look at :)

14. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    input is always welcome!

15. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I don't think this would be fit for the OP, but it's a good entrance for my (proposed) character I think. I incorporated some of your stuff into mine, Crusader. If it bothers you I can take it out :)

Fall was deep in meditation when she heard the large barricades to the main road shut down. “They never shut them in the middle of the day…unless…”

Almost knocking over a candle in her haste, she scrambled clumsily off the floor and mashed the button which opened the shutters on her window. Squinting against the sudden bright orange sunlight, she hooked one bare foot around the leg of a heavy table near the window and leaned as far out the window as she could. She nearly pitched into the street three stories below in her efforts to see if, indeed, she had really heard the doors slam.

I must look like the mad woman they all say I am, Fall thought to herself, as her bright red hair blew this way and that in the wind. Peering down the street, she saw…nothing out of the ordinary. Merchant carts passed freely through the gate, under the watchful guard of soldiers with large guns. There were not even any of those robotic messengers to be seen. Awkwardly lowering herself back through the window, she angrily punched the button to close the shutters that kept the dangerous desert sun out. The whirring mechanical sounds of the gears as the window closed soothed her.

Sitting cross-legged in the circle of candles on the floor, she attempted to resume her meditation, but to no avail. She had been somewhat on edge all day, and had sought the source of her unease in meditation, but so far had been unsuccessful.

“This calls for a bit of Sion, methinks,” she said to herself. Fall talked to herself a lot, never thinking to stop in public. It never occurred to her that this might contribute to her fellow Umaian’s opinions of her. Umai was a tolerant city, comparatively speaking, but the residents had definite opinions about the mystical, none of them favorable.

She rummaged in her cabinet a moment for the lump of Sion gum, cursing in frustration when one of her favorite statues nearly fell out onto the floor.

She put the Sion in a small clay bowl, used for burning herbs and oils. Generally, she only burned herbs, but the fumes were sometimes too strong. However, to Fall’s way of thinking, Sion was more effective in gum form, made from a sticky resin and powdered Sion tree needles. If too much raw Sion was present, the fumes released would be fatal. “Boy that’d look fantastic at the top of the daily news feed, huh? Local Nutter Dies of Overdose of Illegal Substance,” she said, and laughed.

In any case, she sat down in the circle and lit the resin with a match. It blazed a strange orange color, different from the flames of the candles burning at the edge of her sacred circle.

Leaning over the flaming resin, she breathed the smoke in deeply, resisting the urge to cough. The sweet smell of the burning herb was something she never got used to, but she was able to push past the waves of nausea as she attempted again to descend into a meditative state.

The vision hit her like a sudden sandstorm.

---

A man stumbled forward retching, tearing at his collar with gauntlets already soaked in blood. Each breath drew more suffering than air, each moment staggering bought more anguish than ground beneath his boots. But it was his last resigned task, to reach the crest of the ridge and see what he already knew.

Now on his knees, he crawled hand over hand through gravel and dirt, thick crimson drops marking his passage.

By the time he reached the crest his face was a nightmare, half caked in dry blood, the rest a fresh red slow, what little bare skin was pale and mottled but his eyes were focused and he saw it all.

Below an angry sky lay fifty thousand men, dead, all red terrible death borne in wretched pain and torment, breath choked and backs broken, worse than any blade could rend.

Seemingly consigned to his fate, with the last of his strength, the man turned over to look back down the hill. The figure had followed him up the rise from the meeting tent, footprints of black ash marking the path beside his own red crawl.

It reached him, looming without height. Its grim white teeth closed, cutting off the thin trail of red mist that seeped into the air. Teeth closed, lips parted, it smiled.

The injured man, seeming to be a soldier, gasped for breath and coughed a red torrent, somehow he managed a single choked word. “..why?”

“Because.” The figure said, in tones more human than his own. “It was written.”

In this last moment of confusion, the man wept red tears and choked on his blood.

---

No!

Yanked out of her trance by her own revulsion, Fall gagged and vomited on the floor of her apartment. Fighting the inevitable hangover from the Sion, and exhausted by the vision, she crawled weakly to her pallet, crying herself to sleep over the fate of the men in the desert.

Fall had never experienced a vision like that before. Her meditations more often than not yielded only a sense of peace, or vague impressions and feelings, not a vivid vision of events. Certainly not events such as that.

When she woke, she told herself it was a bad nightmare, that the resin had been poorly made. There was no reason to suspect otherwise after all. She’d been reading ancient manuscripts for years, and the figure in her vision that seemed to be death itself seemed eerily familiar. Her brain probably formulated this hallucination around an ancient story. What kind of normal person hallucinates that? Maybe what they say about me is true…Fall thought bitterly, consciously refraining from talking to herself for once.

She went about her business as usual, although with either a slight hangover from the Sion, or nausea from being unable to get the vision of the bleeding man from her head.

As she was tending to her plants in the greenhouse on the top floor of her building, many of which she sold, she heard the loud slam of the gates again. She felt all the blood drain out of her face, as she heard the printer in her apartment start. The news feed had already come. This was something else entirely.

In a daze, she brought the basket downstairs, and set it in the corner. This city under quarantine, the printer said. Quickly spreading plague. Thousands dead. Saidri armies destroyed.

She laughed bitterly, and with a tinge of hysteria. “Well,” Fall said with dark humor in her voice, “It seems I’m not crazy after all.”

16. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Well, we could always have certain characters portraying their experiences in different parts of the world.

We don't have to have all characters intereact with eachother. We can show how it affects people different in different parts of the world, and how each person copes with such things.

On the Dirgible idea, I think that's one of the best things you can have ain a steampunk setting, because they look so damn cool. Maybe they found out that the plague does not affect/reach the surrouding after a certain height, and hence one can use a dirgible. Yet on that though, it can be extrapolated that the plague is somewhat airborne and you would have to have the cities "protected" somehow from the air, and it would need to be filtered.

Possibly the locations the people are in have an unknown reason for being free of the plague? Or, maybe before the collapse of civilisation across the globe and hence the loss of advance technology they were able to make some sort of protection that encapsulates the city in a plague free zone, and filteres the air from outside and supplies the city with plague-free air?

17. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    I haveta go but I wanted to share my thoughts on the plague. I was thinking that it was a supernatural sort of plague, brought by this shadowy figure guy. That the society seeks to explain through more natural means, as a regular old plague.

Just a thought :D

18. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    The plague is spread by 'the red mist' which behaving as mist/vapour does, hugs the ground, so any city with walls, good plumbing and a tight gate should withstand it unless theres a lot of it. Hence why dirigibles work.

I'm leaning towards having it starting as steampunk, rather than resorting to it after the plague to keep the influence of modern technology and culture out of it.

Also, I like your character sorcha, although i was thinking of doing a psychic myself and now it might be a bit crowded....

19. Sorcha

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    lulz great minds. :D I don't think it'd be a bad idea, actually. After all, if one psychic/mystic person saw this, is it surprising another did? Powerful "disturbance of the force" as it were.

I think it'd be kew if we all started off in different cities...remaining so is up to yall :D

20. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    So I actually have nothing to input at this point... one of you give me a shout by PM once it gets off the ground, please? :p