Calling all regulars!

Discussion in 'RPG Theme Suggestions' started by Crusader, May 17, 2008.

1. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    Sounds interesting, I'm in when we get things started. I'll try to come up with some ideas in the next day or two

2. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Hah, I got an invitation.

Even if he called me a whore. =(

So... general plot of the story? I might even manage to restrain myself (for once) and make one character instead of like 5...

3. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0

Well it was just an idea to start the creative juices flowing. just tell me what you like and dont like and maybe add your own ideas in a short story and we can mix them up:

the basic premise of my 'pitch' is the RP takes place in this one city under seige from an invisible threat. *OMG ITS A SUTTLE TERRIST THEME* So the whole thing happens within the walls of the city, intrigue as we discover the nature of the blood plague and if walls can even stop it, civil unrest as people starve and mobs fight in the streets, the leaders fight themselves and the whole city is ablaze with fury.

But no one notices whats happening beyond the walls, because theres nothing there, no people, no animals, no wind or rain. Just ash, ash and blood.

4. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Oh man, confining to within a city is le seriously going to restrict things. Whilst it will most likely promote more interaction, it cuts of other possibilites.

Although it seems it's there are many isolated cities?

It seems that there is a sci-fi theme to this being set in a fantasy mode. It seems like one of those instances where a natural apocalypse has managed to wipe out most things on the earth, and there are few communities still surviving, and then occasionally they send out small groups to scout the unknown or travel to other cities. Is that what it is?

5. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Perhaps, Id decided to drop the 'post' from apocalypse.

Myabe there are other cities and venturing out may take place but it would be a while down the road after the mystery of the blood plague was solved.

6. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Maybe we can be in modern times, but all our tech has been lost due to civilisation collapsing due to the plaugue? That could answer for the steam punk mode of the RP.

7. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    interesting, fits in with the unwritten aspects of the pitch.

8. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Maybe consider setting a definite time limit for the RPG? I think after 2-3 months alot of people start getting bored and stop posting. This way there is a time frame for ending the RPG.

9. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    We could make it episodic in nature, keep short chapters that we can shift styles and themes between to revitalise it.

10. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    We might even get to finish a RPG for once. =(

11. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Chapters seems like a good idea, so lets begin discussion on chapter one, and the results of that can determine what chapter 2 is.

So is everyone okay with the blood plague thing? if so we need to find a good setting for it and we should be rocking soon.

12. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    So will it be different characters for each chapter? or keep the same characters, but different events and settings?

And as far the blood plague, it doesn't get much better than wide-spread diseases.
    as far as a setting... i think it would be cool to have a urban-like area, but of course mostly deserted.

13. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Depends how the chapter goes, if the setting is comepletely different its unlikely for the same characters to be there, but we could keep them on. So who knows! The later chapters will be dependent on how the story unfolds in the early ones so we can't really speculate on whats going to happen just yet.

So setting, we have urban, steampunk (maybe), anything else?

14. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I don't think I've ever finished a RPG. Not counting my demise in RPG #9. lol

15. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    People are pushing for #9 to get finished. One way or another.

16. holly st.Raven

holly st.Raven Romlux

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Umn, I have one fairly developed setting that is not quite steampunk, but It should work quite ok for what you have asked.
    In short, it is based somewhere in the middle of fourth, or even somewhere in fifth millennium. Around the year 2450, earth was invaded by far superior alien civilization that had somehow turned humans into mindless drones. The reign of unknown alien civilization lasted for at least a millennium, and earth has been teraformed to the point that nothing even remotely resembles the continental mass that had existed before aliens came. The alien reign ended with a fall of great meteorite that brought semi-sentient energy entities, that would be later called ‘spirits’. Nine clusters of spirits merged together to form fully intelligent entities and expunged the aliens.
    Left on their own, it took a few generations before humans (and humanoids created by genetic experiments) shook of the thrall and started banding into primitive cultures. Of course, since most of alien tech was around the cultural development was much faster. Of course, they could only use some tech, and even that imperfectly, and had no way whatsoever to reproduce it, so they are forced to combine it with technology that is mostly clockwork and steampowered. Than also, sharing habitats with spirits, and eventual symbiosis with some of them, led to development of something we might call magic.
    That is short of it. Since I’m writing a novel in that setting, I think I’ll keep the long version to myself, I’m sure you folks understand.

17. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Might be a good idea.

Me either lol. I know part of mine comes from the slow, slow pace a few weeks in. Having to kick people into posting. And yes, I'm just as guilty about that :D

Either way the more I think about it, the more I really like the premise of the blood plague, etc.

One question though...what's steampunk? lol

18. Meteorain

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Ah Steampunk....not easily defineable...so I'll do it the lazy man's way:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steampunk :p

It's basically fantasy which has some elements of "technology" mixed in, without going as far as modern age guns and what not. i.e. Steam power era technology (although there are variations).

19. Crusader

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Actually steampunk has no relation to fantasy its just often mixed.

there are many '-punk- sub genres the primary examples being steampunk and cyberpunk, others include sandlepunk, dieselpunk and so on.

The basic premise is in setting, the 'punk' term means that the setting is usually grim, criminal or some kind of underworld setting, though this can vary wildly. depending on the choice.

The first part usually denotes technological level, so steampunk involves steam powered technology.

the most common style of steampunk is almost art-deco/victorian mix with everything made of brass and boilers.

But obviously you can fit steampunk themes into anything, its a common addition to fantasy that replaces technological progress with something a little more novel to reamin thematic.

Heres some cool steampunk stuff off the web:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2008
  20. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Oooooh. Fun!! :D

I like the idea of urban...but what environment? I have desert sort of in my head, but I can see the story going with other settings.

Are the characters going to all be in one massive city, or a smaller one, or in separate areas or...?