Calling all archers....

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Mububban, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Christophe of Grey

Christophe of Grey Cordwainer to Royals

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gamigar,
    WHAT???? Your bow doesn't come WITH a horse? LOL! $150 is a very good price. Typically those bows go for around $400 up, depending upon the model http://www.horsebows.com/. The ones I've seen are actually fiberglass limbs usually covered with leather. These bows are supposed to have very little hand shock and shoot like a higher poundage bow. That is, a 30 pounder shoots more like a 40 or 45 pounder.

2. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I was actually looking at that site extensively yesterday. The bow that I'm looking at is wooden wrapped in leather. It did shoot very smooth now that you mention it. I had to arc it a wee bit. But that's probably because my arms weren't quite strong enough to control the bow because of the draw weight. The guy that I was talking to about it said that it was around 50lbs but I'm not sure about that because my dad's compound bow is set to 50lbs and I can hardly draw that one. Anyway, it shot very well and I just loved shooting it.

3. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Gamigar,
    Sounds good! You'll get used to shooting the bow even if now it's a bit hard to draw. Be sure you ALWAYS use good technique and form. Shoot for as long as you can and when you get tired, stop shooting. It's real easy to fall into hard-to-break bad habits when we get tired. It's better to stop shooting and rest. Besides, shooting a bow of 50 pounds pull will be a good work out for you. Then you'll get buffy and the women will love you for it! (Little known side benefit of archery!) LOL!!! One thing that's important here and considering the poundage of this bow, be sure you don't pull with your arms. That sounds weird, but what I mean is when you reach full draw, hold the draw with your back muscles. An easy way to enforce this is to stick your chest out. I shot with a guy last year who was a former college champion. He told me he used to put pieces of tape on each of his shoulder blades near his spine. His objective on each draw was to make those pieces of tape touch. That seems a bit extreme to me but it serves the same purpose of sticking your chest out. Keep us informed on your progress with the new bow!!

4. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for the advice.

5. Cheesy Goodness

Cheesy Goodness The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Glad to hear about another archer enthusist joining the murder (check the archery 101 thread ;)).

You're muscles do infact get bigger. I was kinnda scrawny when i started this stuff, but I could get a 45 pound reflex bow back (I had short arrows at the time, so I wasn't drawing the whole length of my arms). Now it's incredibly easy for me to pull back the same 45 reflex the entire length of my arms, and I do notice a diffrence in how big my arms are. Granted, it's not too much because I've only done it for a few months, but I read somewhere (it might even be on this board) that the arm you hold the bow with gets stronger than the arm you draw with. Can't say that's true, but it's possible.
    I shot my neighbor's compound bow (there's nothing like a primitive bow though) that was set at 30...i could have pulled it back with one finger...I laughed at him :). So assuming that you just started archery a while ago, and considering that you can pull a 50 pound back now, I would say go to something like a 40-45. That should be perfect for you, then keep ungrading to a 50, then a 55 and so on. Now to get a string for the 55 recurve :).

Keep a hold of those arrows Gamigar...I've been shooting for a few months and I still lost an arrow today (from about 50 yards but...).

Anyone try shooting carbon arrows? I just got 4 from my dad for my birthday (a little late but o well), and they seem to fly the same, but much much more durable. Anyone else have them?

6. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    We have 8 of them!!! I like them, they're durable. I know what you are saying about the muscles. A few days ago I couldn't even draw my dad's compound bow but I tried and tried until I finally could and the next day I found myself outside shooting it at a target. I didn't actually just start archery, I just started getting serious about archery. I've been shooting my $12 dollar Wal-Mart bow for a long time. I agree that there's nothing like a traditional bow. I'm getting my friend (Holy Avenger on these boards actually) into archery.

7. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    cheesy,
    Hey Cheesy. Been to PayPal lately? (gig!)
    You are right. On the wreck of the Mary Rose they found what they believe to be archer remains. Their bow arms were significantly deformed, read here larger, that what would be their draw arms. So archery = getting buffy = being more attrative to women. Have we heard from the women on this yet? Are they out there? Are they reading this forum? Do they have an opinion? OK, I'm married, so that makes the last question OBVIOUS!!!

Running and ducking........

8. Cheesy Goodness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Christophe-
    I've been thinking about it constantly, but the account holder (mom :)) hasn't had a spare minute latley...sorry...i swear i'll get to you, especially with something like this!
    So, you're saying better archery=the woman...hmm...im now looking for a 120lb bow right now! lol

It's really hard to get good with diffrent length of arrows and diffrent tip weights are screwing me up a lot...gonna have to look for more arrows in the woods tomorrow...machetes ahoy! lol

Gamigar-
    Did you get that horse bow yet? I've always wondered how one shot first hand...even though I will never see you in my entire life :D

9. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    No, I probably won't get it until this weekend. I go to work tomorrow, I'll cash my checks after work, then I'll have enough but I probably won't be able to go to the archery store until Saturday. They shoot awesome! I just loved shooting it, I didn't want to stop.

10. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    cheesy,
    Well, there it hangs acting as my spare arrow holder at the moment. Just let me know. However, after Aug 6th you will have to wait three weeks as it's Pennsic time then I go to sunny, did I say SUNNY, Phoenix for some training.

Gamigar - let us know your thoughts on the bow after you get it and shoot it some.

11. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yyyyyyyyyyyyyessssssssssss!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! My dad just told me that after work we can go to the bank and then over to the archery store for the bow!!!!!! Wooooooooooohoooooooo!!!!!! :banana: :banana: :banana:

12. Cheesy Goodness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    sweet!
    We will of course be expecting pictures ;)

13. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Naturally, I'll have some up tomorrow evening.

14. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I just got back from the archery range. I got my bow and shot it for a while. I unfortunately forgot to bring the digital camera home. I'll have some pictures up soon.

15. elvenwarrior1016

elvenwarrior1016 Elite Galadrim Warrior

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  16. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That's cool.

17. Christophe of Grey

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    elvenwarrior,
    Beautiful bow. How does it shoot? I'm wondering particularly about bow shock as it has those large limb tips.

18. Lonearcher

Lonearcher Nocturnal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Elvenwarrior, welcome to the murder! :D Nice looking bow, how does it shoot? Give us some details, such as draw weight, what kind of arrows, etc. How long have you had it and what kinds of shooting do you participate in?

I'm mostly a 3-d shooter and hopefuly a soon-to-be bowhunter, Christophe is a combat and target archer (I think that's right, correct me if I'm wrong here CoG), Mbubban is a combat archer I believe, Gamigar is into informal target shooting, and Cheesy is a pyromaniac who lives next to a hay field. :D These are only the ones I'm fairly sure of, the rest of you guys and gals will have to speak up and let us know what your up to!

If you read some of the other archery postings you'll most likely realize that some of us are perhaps "not quite all there". :eek:

Last edited: Aug 2, 2004
  19. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    If by Informal Target Archer you mean that I'll shoot most anything that won't ruin my arrows and some that will then you are right. I go to work tomorrow but I'll have 2-1/2 hours before I can actually do anything so my dad said that I can bring my archery stuff and set up a target in the back yard of the factory to shoot for up to 2-1/2 hours!!!

20. Cheesy Goodness

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    Sadly I havent lit anything on fire yet...that doesnt involve archery...lit lots of other stuff on fire tho :D
    I took Cristophe's advice about the dowel rods and made a make-shift arrow that ill hopefully light the hay-bale on fire with...I know i've been saying that for months but i have one that's starting to mold and stink...not too fun.

We're still waiting for pics Gam O:)