Calling all archers....

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Mububban, Oct 29, 2003.

1. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Hi to all fellow archery enthusiasts. I started this thread to A) discuss our experience with archery, and B) to try and make up for deleting some really good posts that were unfortunately in the wrong section! Life is all about learning....

Anyway, to get the ball rolling, I've been doing archery for about a year now. I've always been interested in historical weapons like swords and bows more than guns, and joined a medieval re-enactment group to learn sword fighting.
    One of the games we occasionally play is called Combat Archery, which is like paintball with bows and rubber tipped arrows. The first time I played I was hooked, so I went to a local archery club to really learn the skills well, but never practise with sights because we don't use them when you're running around in the bush!

I use a 30lb recurve, which is the maximum strength for safety reasons, which is just beautiful. No brand, I picked it up second hand, but it's strong, light and deadly accurate! We make our own arrows (http://www.thefantasyforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1729) and I always shoot with a finger glove.

I've had a go with compounds but personally I find them less satisfying. Archery is never easy, but I like the extra challenge of using a recurve more than a compound. And besides, we're not allowed to use compounds in CA anyway so there's no point for my style of archery.

Learning archery the way I have, as well as target archery I've learnt to shoot on instinct over a wide range of distances and terrains, to draw and arrow and nock really quickly while on the run and under fire, and I've learnt to hit running targets. I've got no interest in actually killing an animal (or a person!), so to me, combat archery has taught me archery safely and in the exact way I've always wanted to learn it - as "real" as can safely be done.

What's your story?

2. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I shoot at my wood pile just for fun. I have a very simple bow, it's just composite curved with a string on it. I really don't have much respect for all those wimpy sites, it doesn't take much talent.

3. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    hey mububban i do some archery i use a thirty 5 pound bow its a byz replica bow btw do you ever go to competitions

4. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    No I've never done a competition. When I was learning the basics of archery I used a pin for a sight and actually racked up some pretty decent groupings for a beginner, but I'd never be able to find the time to practise enough to do competitions. And like I've said, my archery is all about hitting moving targets while on the move myself, so now when I go back to practise, I'll pace around (safely of course), and then snap off shots at different targets, like the 15m, 30m, then 50m, back to 20m, then 30m again etc.

Mind you, the group I practise with contains a 14 year old boy who is the state indoor target champion here in West Australia. He's got a lovely compound bow and the boy is a machine!

5. Glorfy_of_Imladris

Glorfy_of_Imladris Mysterious Glorfy

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I've been practising archery for almost my whole life. When I was really young with a homemade bow (just a piece of wood with a rope :p); and when I was a bit older I bought a 31lbs bow.

I'm not in a group, but sometimes a participate in a competition. And I've won already several times :D
    Here's the link to a picture of the trophy :p :
    http://www.thefantasyforum.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=261

6. Haldir

Haldir Archer Extraordinaire

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well I'm a target archery. Sight n all... I have a 38lbs recurve (all mod cons etc). I set up the club (our website) in my college here. I started archery about 8 years ago now but I had a break of about 4/5 years in the middle there. I stopped shooting but my Dad was always talking technique etc with me so I built up a lot of knowledge. This led me to being Head Coach in my club and to teach kids archery during the summer.

I've tried Clout shooting once with a Mongolian recurve-absolutely class. I'm going to have a weapons room in my house (when I buy/build one!). The walls will be adorned bows (longbow, mongolian recurve (or similar)) then of course come the swords! :) Anduril's only the start. Hehehe... I want one of those Atrim Leafblades.

Oh and of course I'll be buying the Lothlorien Bow and perhaps the Mirkwood one if I like the look of it. :p

7. Fern

Fern New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had a 60 lbs recurve when I lived in Canada (Netherlands now). It was about 30 years ago and, if I remember correctly, 60 lbs was the minimum needed if you wanted to use it as a hunting bow.

I used to set up boxes filled with straw in my back garden for target practice (using simple points) and I shattered a lot of arrows by missing the ctns and hitting something solid.

For actual hunting I used the razor tips, an expensive hobby because most arrows fired dissappeared in the bush never more to be found.

Rarely shot much I have to admit I put my beautifull bow on the wall and changed to a 308, much easier.

8. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've got a 45 lb fiberglass Bear recurve. I shoot a cardboard box in my backyard.

9. darkdragon

darkdragon The Black Prince

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I use a 45 lb. compound w/ a draw length of 31 inches. I also have other bows I use including a Re-curve that belonged to my grandfather. That bow is over 60 years old, and functions as if it were new.. I have been involved with archery for over 20 years and still learn something new every day.. I have heard they are comming out with new re-curves and am looking forward to seeing one of them...

10. Thorn

Thorn New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well, before I moved to Texas from Baltimore, MD., I shot a 50# longbow, with a draw length of 32 inches,, handmade from oak and strung with sinew (tho I used commercially made wooden arrows). I would have brought it with me, but since I moved here in march of 02, I didn't think the Army security would look too kindly on a bearded long haired chap with a longbow and quiver of arrows trying to board a plane.

11. Lonearcher

Lonearcher Nocturnal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    It's great to see that there are so many other archers here.

I've been shooting a bow for most of my adult life now. I currently have 4 bows; my favorite is a Damon Howatt Hunter recurve, it pulls 55# at 28", I also have a Yellowjacket longbow (laminated) that is 45#, an old Ben Pearson recurve that is 35#, and an old handmade kids longbow that I believe is osage, but it hasn't been shot in many years.

My wife has a PSE compound and a Martin Hunter recurve that is 40# at 28". I've shot her compound a couple of times and that's all it took to convince me that I don't one. Too mechanical.

I've shot in a couple of 3-d contests that were a lot of fun and I'm planning on joining a local archery club near my home in early spring. (their memberships run from Jan. - Dec.)

12. Lainovion

Lainovion Royal Guard of Gil-Galad

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Wow, it is great to see many archers here. I too have always beeen interested in archery. When I was a kid, I always used to make simple little bows from a limb, and fishing line, lol. Just recently, I purchased a Bear Whitetail elite compound bow second hand with a 55# draw. I use it to hunt (turkey mostly). Combat archery sounds enjoyable. Tell us more about it, such as what rules apply, etc, or give us a link for more info.

13. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
  14. javelin98

javelin98 does anyone read these?

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've been trying to find more time to get out and loose a few at the butts myself! I've owned two bows for about twelve years now -- a 55# recurve and a 68# compound, both of which give a real good upper-body workout. I actually prefer shooting the recurve; something about it feels more elegant and balanced.

My backyard bumps up against a hillside, so I was able to put a couple of bales of hay up for target practice without too much fear of sending a shaft into the housing project on the far side. Unfortunately, my yard is only about thirty feet by twenty-five, so it's impossible to get any long-distance practice in. I'd love to find a club, but my work schedule is so insane these days that I hardly have time to eat, much less go out and shoot a few arrows. One of these days, things will slow down...

15. urbanharlequin

urbanharlequin Golden Marshall, 3rd Wing

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used to have graphite shaft, many an eon ago, and when I shot into hay bails the bladed shaft would sink almost all the way in. what a pain the quiver when I tried to get them out. anyone else have that problem? and what kind of shafts do you twangy stringed fellows shoot with? I was stationed on a military base where they had bails set up for us servicemen. even still security followed me around when I would take my bow out. He, He, He! But I don't have my bow anymore and it may be a while before I get a new one. I miss it ALOT! Crap! why did I start this, pardon me while I go in my room and weep openly...

16. Haldir

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well If they were normal bails of hey like I've seen at my cousin's farm then I'd expect my arrows to go right through.

We have 4 or 5 inch thick extremely tightly packed straw butts and even still my arrows go half way through often enough.

I'm using Easton ACCs (Aluminium Carbon Composites). Small, thin fast arrows. Getting them out can be a problem alright. Need a good quality Arrow Puller to do the job else very very sore hands! :p

17. Lonearcher

Lonearcher Nocturnal

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I prefer wood (Port Orford Cedar) shafts. There's nothing quite like building your own arrows, putting in the time and effort to do so really brings me closer to the sport.

18. BowCrafter

BowCrafter Bowcrafter/Archer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I craft my own bows. Any tips on how to make a good recurve or even a longbow? I usually just make them out of tree limbs, but hey, im learning. Thanks.

19. Haldir

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    You can buy the wood and get books on it... There's a company in England that sell them, the wood and the book. Probably the people I'd be ordering from if I was gonna make one-which I've been thinking about.

Quicks

Have a look at their catalogue. They've strings, all the wood, a small book on making longbows (very cheap actually-must buy one!).

20. MorHoon

MorHoon megiltura

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I used to shoot a few arrows myself, a few years ago... I made my own bows and arrows at that time...
    My yard is pretty big also and there are allot of trees I could shoot at, and use as materials... my best bow ever was a hazel-tree long bow, about as tall as myself... now that was a bow... I could barely extend it, but when I used to release it... now that was power... hazel-tree wood is really ellastic and a bow made from it, that is thick enough will have allot of power...
    The hard part was making arrows, I used to search for straight pieces of wood for arrows, only to shoot and brake or lose them...

A fun thing to do is make flaming arrows, now that is great as long as safety measures are made.

Now I evolved an obsession with swords and sword mastery so I didn't really shoot a bow in quite a time...