Butterfly Knife

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Harrison, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Does anyone have one? I've messed around with my friend's and plan on buying one.

2. Voroturiön

Voroturiön New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have one. Its quite fun.

3. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yes, most sharp things are fun.

4. Skyanide

Skyanide The Big Meanie Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Balisong or butterfly knife? Actually people quite often refuse the two.

5. Broknpotre

Broknpotre I know kung fu...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    You mean 'confuse the two'? :) If you did mean 'refuse the two', then I'm confused. Hehe. Personally, I always make the distinction by calling the double Chinese shortswords Butterfly Swords, and the Balisongs Butterfly Knives. That way, I make sure that people know which one I'm referring to, even though many places use knife instead of sword since they are so short.

6. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I am refering to butterfly knives.

7. Scrinlord

Scrinlord Dark Lord of Guppies

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Well they are both fun to play with.

8. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Yes, sorry (nice typo) I meant confuse. I know most people confuse balisongs with butterfly knives/swords. The people I know who have the swords (mind you, that is only two) refer to them as knives, they are only about 16"-18" long.

Personally, I have a balisong, which I don't carry often because they are illegal in Canada.

9. Broknpotre

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I've got one of each, and I learned to call the balisong 'butterfly knife' before I ever heard the balisong word. Actually, the style I practice (Wing Chun Kung Fu) uses butterfly swords as the official weapon, and we've always referred to them as butterfly swords instead of knives. So I've never had a real reason to stop calling a balisong a butterfly knife.

Anyway, to answer the question that started the thread, I enjoy playing around with the balisong, but I don't find it to be very practical. It's true that it is a very fast weapon, both to use and to extract from the closed position. But the grip is a bit weak and the blade is not rigid enough for my taste. I'd trust a solid knife or a good folder more. Although a balisong is easy to look flashy and impressive with.

I think that in a lot of places, balisongs are illegal for the same reason switchblades are illegal. They are easy to conceal and extract very quickly.

10. Skyanide

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    It is funny that now that thumbposts are common on many folders, that balisongs are still illegal.

I used to have my balisong as personal protection when I used to hitch-hike in my teens; it was quick to open and flashy enough to be intimidating.

But I have to say thay my Gerber Paratrooper with the thumbposts opens way faster than my balisong (or most switchblades I've seen) does. It just took a little practice, and isn't illegal to carry.

11. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I had a butterfly knife some years ago, my mother took it away when she found out about it.

12. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    That stinks I lost my butterfly knife at customs (GRRR Customs)

13. Broknpotre

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hehe. The first folding knife I ever bought was a cheap but pretty fearsome-looking knife at a state fair. I opened that thing so much that it loosened up enough for me to flick it open without even using my thumb. It turned into a manual switchblade, pretty much. Of course, that made it dangerous when you opened the lock, since it liked to fall on your fingers. Unfortunately, I broke it trying to use it as a throwing knife.

14. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My mom gave it back to me when I turned 15. I even managed to learn that butterfly trick (don't know how to say it in English) after nearly losing my fingers.

I must have it around here somewhere, I pretty much stopped to play with it after my Daughter was born 1.5 year ago but I still used it as a letter opener.

15. Harrison

Harrison The Best Beatle

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I just got my butterfly knife.

16. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    oooooooooohh, nice upgrade.

17. LIL LOCO

LIL LOCO New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have one, a bench made full stainless steel handle and high carbon steel blade. If you are trying to learn how to use it try the jeff imada book. Ive mastered it you could even ues it as throweres but wouldnt recomend it.

18. Kurgo

Kurgo New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    There are fewdownsides to the butterfly knife and almost all of them had happened to me.

Flip it of of your pocket trying to flick it open just to pass it to the person in front of you. Not a very good idea if you ask me. Train trian and train some more. Then get some salve for your knuckles.

Once open there are not much of a hilt to keep your fingers from the blade. So do not sharpen the first few inches as you could end up with less fingers to flick your pride and joy.

The blade is not very secured to the handles. On more than one ocassion the blade snapped out of the handles.

Last but most defnitely not least. Make sure the handles are closed when you get a good grip on them. a millimetre gap is enough to pinch the palm of your hand.

That said it is awesome if someone can play with the knife.

19. I. R. Shogun

I. R. Shogun Midnight Demon

Ratings:
    +304 / 0 / -0
    I learned how to play with mine on the balisong extreme website, for a while I carried it everywhere but dropped it aftercoming into possession of faster more practical folders. That and most of the tricks I knew while impressive took far to long to be practical compared to the draw time I could get on my Boker Magnium which also required less upkeep. Although I recently stopped carrying the boker due to problems with some of the bolts, and I found myself being alittle too agressive. So now I carry a CRKT M-16 model with no clip, and a frost cutlery tanto style knife, though I'm thinking of dropping the latter because I don't like how loose the main bolt is.