Bush opinions

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by carolinethepirate, May 30, 2006.

1. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    She has announced her candidancy. Personally, I do not think the DNC will back her. They know that there is too much debate around her to pull off a win and backing her would be very rising for the DNC. I like her. I think she is a good politician. I do think that there is a lot of residual angst left over from the Clinton presidency/Whitewater/Monica Lewinsky/etc.

However, that means nothing in connection about whether a woman would make a good president.

2. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    I would totally back Obama. Although there is some question as to whether the general public would not vote for him based on a few things; he smokes, his race, he is a relative political novice.

3. Sorcha

Sorcha Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +77 / 0 / -0
    Yeah. I would hope the first two wouldn't make a difference, but they probably do :( I heard somewhere that the novice-ness could go either way. Some would see it as refreshing. I honestly haven't heard enough about him...but this election I think will turn out to be interesting. :)

Boy my politics have changed since the last election. :D lol

4. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Uh...it was a man teacher. And by teacher, I mean professor in college. I'm not in fifth grade. Personally, I'd rather not have a President with PMS, okay? I don't know about you, but I like feeling safe.

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Oh man, way to poke the hornet's nest :D

6. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Why does it make a difference if it was a woman or a man teacher? To be honest, I hoped that it was a man, because I would certainly hope that no one would deprecate themselves with such an ignorant statement. Whether you are a graduate student or a first grader, having a teacher voice such sexist ignorance is beyond the scope of acceptable. I can wager that had the university(or college or what have you) been aware of his sexist remarks in the classroom he would have been severely reprimanded. As well he should.

Surely you jest about the PMS. Again, I have to ask myself if you are serious or if you are just someone who like to stir the shitpot. I can honestly say that PMS is nary a flicker on my radar screen in regards to presidency. I can't see how that would make a person feel unsafe?! I can't ever recall making an unsafe or unwise decision that was cyclically based. Do you turn in to some crazed lunatic during your cycles? I sure hope not, because if you are drastically affected that smacks of a hormonal imbalance(which happens to both men and women, and incidentally, the rate of men seeking hormone therapy is up over 1900%) which you need to seek medical and perhaps psychiatric treatment to correct. I say that in all seriousness.

Furthermore, on the subject of PMS, women, and uneducated generalizations; I think a woman with PMS would be no match for a man ruled by testosterone, which is designed to make him aggresive, assertive, and competitve in the face of an opponent. That is not exactly the recipe for a level-headed 'safe' president is it now? Not to mention, that due to presidental restrictions, political patterns, and historical data, any president would likely be over the age of 50. So PMS, for the most part, is not a factor in the equation.

As an aside topic; do you perceive yourself to be lesser than a man? Different for sure, but unequal?

7. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Being politically naive could potentially lead to diplomatic incidents. He's already ticked off a few countries (Australia included) with ill-informed comments. The less egg on the face of your nation's leader, the better.

And as sexist, racist, and old fashioned as it is, I can't see a woman, or a black male, or a black woman being president either. Personally I'd vote for the best candidate for the job regardless of gender or colour, but that's just the way I've been raised. In my experience, the patriarchal views of western society still hold true to a large degree. Note how there may be several women mid-managered, but not many CEO's in companies. Condoleeze Rice may be a high ranking government official, but I doubt if people would want her becoming President. The glass ceiling is getting closer to the top floor, but it still seems to exist in business, politics and everyday life. I think Jendra's PMS comment is a perfect example of it. Here we have a female member who thinks a woman would make a bad leader because of her menstrual cycle.

Society is notoriously slooooow to evolve and change its views in a real and genuine "to the core" kind of way. Like I said, changing attitudes may raise the glass ceiling and even poke a few holes in it, but it still largely seems to exist.

8. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Yes, it does and it is a damn shame. I can not belive that people of our generation subscribe to and perpetuate such ignorance. :yak:

9. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    The PMS comment was a half-jest. And no, I don't think the professor should be "severely reprimanded" because what he said makes sense.

I would vote for the person best for the job as well, however it is very unlikely that the President of the United States will be anything other than a white guy. That's just the way people are wired.

10. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    So the PMS comment was half-serious as well then? Would elaborate on your thoughts regarding that? How is it that your teacher's(professor? which one?) comments made sense? Again, I would love to hear your thoughts on that.

I do agree that it is most likely that a white male end up as president. However, that has NOTHING to do with who is most qualified. The comment that you made about people being wired that way made me chuckle. Obviously, some are(you) and many are not(me) and I sincerely hope that as our elderly population and their generally outdated and often sexist, racist, and elitist opinions filter out of the voting population that the majority of people will vote for the best candidate regardless of gender, color, race, creed, or any other ignorant bigotry.

11. Nynaeve

Nynaeve <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +89 / 0 / -0
    Nicely said Tin! Preople need to look past appearences, and vote for the person who can actually do the best job running the country.

12. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Hear hear. However society takes so damn long to change some things. 50 years doesn't sound like a long time in the length of human "civilisation" does it? But it was only in the 1950 - 1970's that black Americans and women started getting some of the rights they were long denied. The mid to late 1900's!!! So in some respects, the fact that a mere 50 years after the civil rights and women's rights movements came to attention, and we're now seeing a black man and a woman running for President of the United States, is in itself a pretty rapid move forward considering the previous thousands of years where women and blacks were more property than people.

I reckon I'll see it in my/our lifetime, but it might take another 10-20+ years for it to happen. Elections only roll around every 4 years, the right candidate has to come along at the right time with the right backing.

Australia looks set to potentially have a female Prime Minister in the next 10 years perhaps perhaps maybe possibly. Julia Gillard is the deputy opposition leader and seems quite popular. So far I havent heard her say anything really stupid or politically naive. And my girlfriend loves her hehehe. The more capable women are seen in roles of authority, the more Joe Public will get used to the idea. Same goes for politicians and business folk of all colours, races and creeds.

13. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I read something funny today, it's in dutch so I'll have to translate it:

"Allen Jasson (55) was not allowed on the plane of Qantas, an Australian airline company. The reason was his T-Shirt of the American president Bush, which said "Worlds number 1 terrorist". According to Qantas the man insulted in that way ohter passengers and riled up the security on the plane.

The Australian Jasson lives in the UK and wanted to take the flight from Melbourne to London. He refused to take off his T-shirt, cause according to him it is just a matter of freedom of speech. He said that he also wore this T-shirt before when he traveled with Qantas.

"I'm not going to step in without my T-shirt. I've decided to come up for the right of freedom of speech." Jasson said against the Australian press. Qantas stands with what they did. In a statement the airline company mentioned that a T-shirt with the intention to insult other passengers, is not tolerated."

Well that's crap, I agree it is a matter of freedom of speech. If I want to wear the same T-shirt nobody is gonna take it off me. He didn't wear it to insult other passengers, but no doubt he wore it to insult Bush....But that is also freedom of speech, if he doesn't like him and many with him, why shouldn't he be allowed to say/show so....

14. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Yeah that story made me laugh. I think the guy is being an arse, Qantas and all airlines have to be sooooo careful these days about anything to do with air travel. Remember if you make a JOKE about the word bomb in an airport these days, you're arrested for questioning. So wearing a shirt with just the word "terrorist" on it could upset or offend other passengers, so the airlines won't tolerate it.

I think it's stupid to make such a fuss about a shirt, if someone sat next to me with it I'd just look, laugh and move on, but some people are incapable of doing that, so why risk offending a whole planeload of passengers for one guy trying to make a statement? Now he's stuck in Australia, and all those other passengers had a trouble free flight.

But I digress.....

15. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    He had the right, but wearing it got him no where.

16. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    But thats the problem isn't it...I mean in the statement Qantas gave it was not because it said terrorist afteral he was not referring to himself, it was about insulting other passengers...well they should just mind their own business. If I wanted to wear a tshirt that says "I have the greatest penis in the world" are they gonna throw me out, because male passengers will get jealous?:D

17. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    In the end, it did nothing productive but soothe his ego.

He needed to be able to say what he wanted, but he shouldn't have said it in the first place.

18. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Rights rights rights. If you want me to give you a lift in my car and try to light a cigarette, I will ask you not to. If you continue, I will kick you out and you can walk.

If you wish to use any airline's facilities, it's in your best interest to not deliberately be an a-hole about it, unless you actually have your own wings sprouting out of your back, and can fly yourself home for free.

But this really had nothing to do with President Bush.

Can any Americans or others who saw the State of the Union address give us your impressions?

19. Tinuviel

Tinuviel New Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 0 / -0
    Back to our regularly scheduled program....

About the State of the Union address; well, what can I say, the crazy blinking that Nancy Pelosi was doing right behing Bush was completely distracting me. I swear I think she was trying to communicate in some sort of blinking code. CNN clocked her blinks at *85* per minute. Holy cow!

Overall, I found the whole presentation to be rather uninspiring. I think that it is great that after six years he has finally decided to address some domestic issues, but I think the most pressing issue at hand is the Iraq War. I think it is long overdue for our government to take note of environmental and climate chancges, how it affects us and what our role is in causing it, but we are at war! In a time of war, when in the majority of the citizen's eyes we shouldn't even be there, when a president is proposing a dramatic increase in troop deployment to fight this war, where is the war talk?! It seems as if he has nto real strategy and that is frightening.

I do hope that measures are taken to reduce our dependency not only on foreign oil, but oil in general. I think that efforts to quadruple our production of alternate fuel sources is admirable if not slighty unlikely. I think it is terribly important to our nation- and the world- as a whole, but I think that many politicians do not want to take on that enormous project so they pass it on to the next guy and hope that their term passes before the general public realizes just how grave it the situation really is.

I am undecided about the insurance tax break. I think that it could either level the playing field and help more Americans obtain health insurance while we work on a complete competant(ha- I can dream)health care overhaul. More likely, this will be a band-aid that allows the gov't to put our healthcare issues on the backburner. We will see.

20. Jendra

Jendra Jendra

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I completely missed the State of the Union Address...wish I hadn't. Don't have a TV, though...I watch it every year with my family, but being at college with no TV makes that a bit hard.

Grr.

Okay, yeah...regularly scheduled program, lol.