Bridging Design Gap between ROTS and ANH

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Aragorn Elessar, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Aragorn Elessar

Aragorn Elessar Envinyatar

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I really don't like the direction that they're taking at Lucasfilm to bridge the design gaps between Ep III and Ep IV. Everything as far as I know is supposed to look like Ep IV designs at the end of Ep III.

Examples: Obi-Wan's lightsaber is the one (or at least look VERY like) the one he uses in A New Hope. He's already wearing his brown turtle neck under his tunic. The ships are the same (Tantive IV, and I think we're also supposed to see one of the Star Destoryers as they appear in IV in ROTS also). Vader looks exactly like he'll be in ANH, etc, etc.

My problem is, of course, they've been rushing all these changes throughout AOTC and now into ROTS. REMEMBER: the gap in time between Revenge of the Sith and A New Hope is longer than the whole span of the prequels (Ep I-III). So everything changes so rapiddly between I-III, and suddenly everything stoppes completely at the end of ROTS?

OK, for things like Obi-Wan's clothing I can understand the argument that he's on Tantooine to watch ove Luke and didn't care much for what he wears (the design philosophy of the Jedi's clothing, as said by the designer in either the DVDs or the webdoc videos, is that they actually only wear the same thing over the years), and that his lightsaber was the one he had at the end of ROTS. But EVERYTHING ELSE? Come on.

2. Urambo Tauro

Urambo Tauro Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I just discovered this thread by accident....

It's an interesting point (and I thought I was the only one who noticed:)). After all, what is it about the Empire that brings design to a standstill? Do they really think they have reached the pinnacle of technology? Is there nothing needing improvement? (Personally, I always thought the holograms should appear more clearly as time progressed.) It doesn't seem to make sense.

"If it's a good design, stick with it!"
    Lockheed Martin's F-16 "Fighting Falcon" is a good example of this. This page gives the following brief history:
    Lockheed Martin's official site claims:
    In Star Wars, the Empire seems to find a good design with the TIE fighter. Or at least, a design they stick with. We get a quick peek in III, then continue to see it in IV, V, & VI. But in V, we are introduced to the TIE bomber. Episode VI reveals the TIE interceptor. We can still recognize them as TIEs, but something's new. The normal TIE fighters might have been made "stronger, better, faster" in the following episodes, but the basic "H-shape" design is retained, even in the new bombers, interceptors, etc.

By contrast, the Republic has a greater variety due to the assortment of cultures. Even the Rebels in later years have ships that look nothing alike. There are X-, Y-, A-, B-wings, etc.

To sum it up, I think the design says a lot about the culture (or lack thereof). The Empire has an image they wish to maintain. Their power and technology may increase, but there's no need or desire to change the look of things. The Rebels are pleased with the X-wing, but continue to try new things. The design tells the story visually-- the uniformity of the Empire, and the individuality of the Republic/Rebellion.

Last edited: May 12, 2006
  3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    The Tie fighters are based on the Jedi fighters, not the fighters you see in the end, who look like Tie fighters from the back...those are V-Wings...the star destroyers you say are also not the same ones. They have a different bridge tower and the shape is a little different. Vader always looks like Vader altho there are some minor differences especially in the helmet.