Brakaka Flocka flame - Rascist or Not?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by LadyoftheGoldenWood, Nov 18, 2012.

?

Rascist or Not?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. LadyoftheGoldenWood

LadyoftheGoldenWood Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    Baraka flocka flame- Head of the state- Hard in the paint

I know how things are here in the US and I think they are wrong. I would like to know what people around the world thing.

Here in America it is ok for black's to call blacks nigger, but if a white person says it; they should practically be stone for it. Even if they are a wigger, but yet wigger is a term white people are allowed to use even though it is derived of a white person acting like white ghetto nigger trash. Wigger is an insulting term for a white person who chooses to walk around with his paints around his knee's, holding them up, wearing an undershirt three size's to big, has his hair in cornrows and talks like a retard. yet that we are allowed to say and it is not racist against the black Culture that started this trend; we say nigger and we are evil, awful and hateful people.

If a white man had made this video, he would currently be the most hated man on youtube; he would be proclaimed as a racist. He would be accused of insulting the President, and objectifying all of black culture into a stereotypical slum of what largely inner city black culture has and is continuing to become in America. Even if it is a truth that more and more black culture is going this way; they would say that a white person making this video is exaggerating the size of this culture group. That he is inflaming all black people, and showing them all as druggies living in slum's and that that only encourages the negative stereotype to tell a black man that is where he belongs.

Yet a black can call another black nigger; we allow the black's to call us wiggers and do not scream at them insulting us when that term is used; they do not become socially out cast for it.

Just as most of America would say it is ok for a black man to make this video, that it is not a racist video; that it is ok for him to portray black culture this way. Some might even go as far as to say it is a celebration of their culture and in fact give the hope that they can raise up out of that. If the President is a good old home boy, they can become like him (something that would never be said if it was made by a white man).

So tell me wide world with people from all over; do you find this video racists or not?? Let the debate begin.

Poll is not public.

(Asking an admin to fix mo to No; misstyped.)

Last edited: Nov 18, 2012
  2. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    When you reverse the roles it doesn't offend white people, why?.. because there's very little truth to it.
    When a white person refers to a certain type of black person as a "nigger", people get bent over it... because let's face it there is some truth to it, depending on where you live and your life experience... it's all too true. I live in a mostly white enclave surrounded by mostly black neighborhoods, and it takes your breath away seeing just how far behind other cultures elements of the black community are.

And btw, our President Obama is whiter than I am... and he only got some 35% of the white vote two weeks ago.
    Imagine that, winning a second term with way less than half the white vote... the country is changing and I'm glad to see the changes. Honestly, I thought having our first black president would perhaps inspire black culture to aim higher.

3. LadyoftheGoldenWood

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    But would you be offended Sparrow if white person had made that video?

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I would not be offended.

Because when you are offended by something it's an act of submission to that person or group of people who have offended you. Why would I allow someone to have that sort of power over me?.. especially an idiot in a music video.

That said, I think it's a pretty cool vid.
    There is a bit of political comment in there somewhere, if you look for it.
    The song has a really neat intermission... the ice cream truck part... and then it just starts back up again like it never even happened. I think the song has perhaps a double-sided message.

5. LadyoftheGoldenWood

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    I would agree with that; I personally do not find it offensive and think it is very well done.

But my dad who is an old hippie thought it was horrible offensive; so I was interested in asking the world their thoughts.

6. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Racist? Not really, heck I don't really think that there is anything in that video worth getting in a fuss about at all.

Now I can, however, appreciate that if you take it in the wider context then the glorification and almost aspirational way that the criminal "black" community is portrayed as the "aim" for coloured youths to aspire to is something that causes great concern for many - esp those of the older generations.

However that isn't an issue specifically relating to this video but more the whole market itself - its an image and media fuelled creation and as such is far greater than just this one single example. It's not racism as such as I view it, but it is potentially damaging when one considers its possible influences.

7. Lego

Lego God amongst men

Ratings:
    +71 / 0 / -0
    Its true, black people are allowed to be racist to white people, but its a crime worse than rape if its done the other way around.

8. Heaven's Cloud

Heaven's Cloud Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I find truth in these words.

The video didn't offend me. I just think it's sad that most African Americans want to be accepted on a societal level as equal to Caucasians,
    and yet the type of behavior in that video is glorified by so many of them. The majority will have no chance at high paying jobs so long
    as they behave in this stereotypical manner, because this type of behavior is generally the opposite of what gets a person ahead in the world.

In light of that, perhaps African Americans are generally allowed to be more racist, but since they are taking advantage of that so often, it
    contributes in keeping them in their generally unenviable place in society. I've found that a lot of racist Caucasians aren't racist
    because they hate people who are darker than them. What they often hate is being around people people who are ill-mannered, ill-tempered,
    and are a bad influence on their kids and community. They don't want someone like that marrying their daughters, their sisters, their brothers and sons.
    They don't want to hire someone like that either, because it's hard to trust someone who talks and acts like a gangster from the hood.

9. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    This raises an interesting issue that I've noticed before. That issue is that appearances make such a difference to how people perceive others. I know plenty of young people who have things like conspicuous tattoos, nose rings, tongue piercings and who wear odd clothes and dye their hair funny colours. In theory, these things shouldn't prevent them from doing a good job at any place of business and yet employers are far more likely to hire someone who wears a less conspicuous and more traditionally acceptable appearance (for lack of a better phrase). Employers assume that people who choose to have such a conspicuous appearance will have attitudes and a work ethic to match or that their customers will be offended by having to deal with such a person. I'm sure that in some cases their fears are justified, but not in all cases. Judging a book by its cover isn't always a good idea. Stereotypes....meh

10. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    They say that putting the image of a dragon onto your front cover can actually help sell books over not having a dragon on the cover.

Whilst we all know that its what inside that counts, the outside cover to anything is always our first impression and when one has many to choose from and only limited time to make the choice then they've little time to get really under the cover and find out the person inside. So judgement made upon the persons presentation does indeed often appear high on the list. Plus its important to remember that these days most jobs are over subscribed for applications; barring very unsociable jobs an employer often has to just select one of sometimes many identical (on paper/personality) applicants so often very minor things are used to help work the numbers down to a few to choose from.

11. Heaven's Cloud

Heaven's Cloud Active Member

Ratings:
    +43 / 0 / -0
    I totally agree. In a lot of cases, the employer may even be a little on the wild side as well. (most people are, I think) However, when it comes to making business decisions,
    especially in businesses where the hiring party has superiors of his/her own, then it's best to hide as many piercings and tattoos as are possible during job interviews :D

12. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    Good to know but damn! XD

13. LadyoftheGoldenWood

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2

There is also a differance in having 'odd' peircings or dressing differently. And dressing with your paints hanging below your waist withyour full underwear and but in clear view, and in shirts that are way to big for you with or without a comb sticking out of your hair. This is the look of a ganster and a peson who generally choses to keep them self in a lower calls brackit.

If a person is not willing to pull their paints up to their waist and wear a shirt that fits for a job interview; then that says in the first place that they are not interested enough in getting the job.

There is a differance in 'odd clothes' as you put it and just dressing like a thug off the block.

14. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    You are proving my point by making assumptions based on appearances. ;) I'm not saying that your assumptions are wrong in every case, but they are unlikely to be right in every case either.

15. LadyoftheGoldenWood

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    So let me say it this way.

If you where running a small store; dress code or not. Would you want to hire someone who put no effort into their appearance for a job interview. Who held his paints up every where he walked; practically mooning you if the boxers slipped and a shit that looks like it is three to four size to big. Who also was making no effort in attempting to speak English in a none ghetto manor.

Would you hire them or not?

16. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    So what exactly are this person's qualifications for the position described? I notice that you didn't list any of those and I would certainly need to know that to make my decision.

Perhaps this person showed up to the job interview like that because he/she would get the crap kicked out of them if they travelled from home to the job interview dressed in a nice suit. Perhaps they don't own one because they're too expensive to buy. Perhaps this individual would be amenable to wearing a uniform or another style of clothing if offered the job?

My point is that people don't ask... they just assume based on their first impression. Socioeconomic status puts a lot of people at a disadvantage right from birth and that's a BIG hole to climb out of.
    I'll illustrate with an arbitrary and extreme example: If I was born in a ghetto and had the choice of joining a gang to have someone watching my back or face death because if I didn't someone would kill me, would I do it? For the sake of argument, let's say that I would. If my gang then demanded that their members dress a certain way (for identification purposes) and that if I didn't somebody would probably knife me in the street, I'd be hiking up my pants at that job interview too.
    I prefer to look deeper... people and situations are often much more than they appear to be in my experience.

17. LadyoftheGoldenWood

Ratings:
    +96 / 1 / -2
    Probably high school drop out worked at gas station or fast food place.

Here is the thing; you can always put clothes in a back back pack and change in a restroom close to your interview if your worried about being beaten up. You do not have to have an expensive suit to own and dress in a manor where your paints are not around your knee and your shirt could fit two more people under it.

Wrong; by the time you are going into an interview; they have already gone over your qualifications because they go threw the applications before calling anyone into an interview. They know your qualifications first and how you present your self to an employer matters a lot. I do not have fancy clothes by far, but I would always wear my nicest clothes and do my hair; why? Because appearance in how we present our selves to be fit to work in an interment matters.

See, you say you would be hiking up your paints for an interview; but they do not hike them up; they hold a fist full of them at crotch level and then let their butts with their underwear hang out.

As for uniforms; I see them all the time at a fast food restraint; white, black or Hispanic; the dude's with their uniform paints strapped down with a belt half way down their butts all saggy and baggy shirts barely tucked in the slowest, most impolite workers who get my orders wrong and do not understand me when I speak English and or act like I am putting them out or they are dong me a favor to wait on me. I do not care what the color of their skin is; but more often then not I have complaints with service when people dressed like that are behind the counter.

18. S.J. Faerlind

Ratings:
    +298 / 2 / -1
    In the end it comes down to whether I think the person can do the job and whether they are willing to portray the image I want my business to convey. If expectations are clearly outlined and an employee fails to meet them, consequences would have to follow. I certainly wouldn't want an employee of mine giving customers poor service or having their butts hanging out at work...lol. I wouldn't care how they dress or what they do in their off hours as long as they met the expectations I had for them on the job. Those expectations would include a dress code and what I expected with regard to customer service in any company that I owned. Does a person's personal appearance at an interview reflect their future job performance? Not by a long shot in my experience anyway.

At 38 years old, I've worked with plenty of people who were totally respectable in appearance but who had the worst work ethic I've ever seen. I've seen impeccably dressed and styled people be rude to clients, text on their blackberry's while the phone was ringing and read the newspaper while other employees were run off their feet. If somebody has a poor work ethic, their appearance is irrelevant. On the other hand I once worked with a lovely girl who had this crazily dyed hair..it was EXTREMELY weird-looking actually. She was one of the most dedicated and conscientious employees I've ever had the pleasure of working with and the clients loved her.
    Clothes are just another part of the mask we wear to impress other people, it's what that mask covers up that matters. There may be no more to the person than what you see, but you have to look deeper than that to know for sure.