Books you refuse to read

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Emelie, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Prince_Kheldar

Prince_Kheldar Beard Lover

Ratings:
    +36 / 0 / -0
    I have to say, Emelie, it makes me sad that you won't try Pratchett's books because of the covers. I cannot say how much I have loved them through the years. When my mom bought me The Wee Free Men as a kid, I thought I'd never be happy with any other book ever again (I have to admit, I still suffer from that; most recently after finishing A Dance With Dragons).

As for books I refuse to read. Silmarillon. I KNOW! It's an amazing book by an amazin author, but still, no matter how many time sI have tried to read it, I can't do it! It always ends in me putting it away in fear of actually torturing myself to death by going on. It's sad, because I really want to read it, but I just can't. It's the same with Hrurin's Children, too.

Knowing myself though, I will probably try again in a few years. I always do that, I don't want to gice up completely on things. Like The Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks. I couldn't make myself read it, then two years later I swallowed all three books and begged for more. Sadly, the same can't be said about tea. I have tried liking tea since I was a child, and I just can't do it. And chocolate on my slice of bread in the morning. How can anyone like that? Really?

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I tried one of the Shannara books (can't recall which now) but didn't get all that far through it. I just found the character names to be rather annoying and - eh - just didn't fit.

As for The Silmarillion - I found one can read "bits" of it fairly well. Just pick random chapters and start reading there (since many of the chapters are near full tales on their own). That also gets you over the Bophor son Darrin son of Dorris son of Jack, son of Begelgefai etc.... early parts ;)

On the Terry Pratchett front - get them in Ebook or the new (and I hate these ones personally) black covers - away goes all the cover woes :)

3. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    I don't think there's any book I wouldn't read once, that sounded vaguely interesting, but there's plenty that I'd never read again.

Chief amongst them are The Sword of Truth series (Goodkind) and anything Shannara (Brooks) but the pinnacle of never-to-be-read-ever-ever-again is the Gormenghast series (Peake). Reading the latter very nearly bored me to death.

4. Calidore

Calidore New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Funny how it works--I found LOTR a major struggle to get through the first time, but I had no problem with The Silmarillion. In fact, I liked that better. If you find the opening slow going, try starting with the story "Beren and Luthien." You'll be missing some of the background, but IMO that story is where Tolkien's interests and writing clicked, and it's absolutely magnificent.

5. Árëlin Milloway

Árëlin Milloway Toast Tiger

Ratings:
    +169 / 0 / -0
    I'm going to join the Discworld bandwagon. I've tried reading several of the books so many times, -I've lost count of how many times I've read the first quarter of The Colour of Magic yet I cannot get myself to like the books. I don't know why, I quite like Pratchett's style of writing, and I really liked Good Omens (which he wrote with Neil Gaiman, might just be why I liked it.) I just cannot imagine reading a whole book (or twenty) of his silly writings. Which, with time, has turned into my rigidly refusing to ever read any of the Diskworld books.

The Simarillion is my closet book. Have never gotten into it, no matter what. I've read hundreds of snippets from it, but there are just too many names...! *whines* I'm definitely not *refusing* to read it, I just seem... unable to.

I guess the last Eragon book... Ehr, Inheritance book is the only one I have ever really refused to read. I got to a point in the second (or was it third?) book where I thought to myself "Oh, they're brothers, that's the plot twist? Screw this." and never opened the book again.

6. hatchet13

hatchet13 The Nasty Tusken

In the middle of the Dune Sea - Tatooine or Austra
    Ratings:
    +6 / 1 / -0
    i still refuse to read Mr Fussy ,I'm waiting for the movie.
    images.jpeg

7. belowforty

belowforty New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I guess my choice for refuse book is quite different but truth is that I don't like "twilight series". The only good thing about the book is the main plot that is a love between a vampire and a girl. Frankly speaking I like this plot but the story around this plot is really poor. I don't understand what she really wants to say in the novel.

8. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    I may get hung for this but the books I would rather BE hung than forced to read:

Game of Thrones Series
    Twilight Series
    The Hunger Games Series

I've tried to read them, so help me I TRIED! But I just can't stomach the "drama queen" drama, the nauseatingly gushy "love story" or the (in my humble opinion) poorly written, childish stattico style.

*hides under a rock*

9. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Where does GoT fit in?
    I do find it overly one-sided (on the power side) and always fitting one side's plans, but I still enjoy it.

I liked the french translation of Twilight enough because the style was much better (and it got me to the cinema with 7 very nice girls).

And I haven't read the Hunger Games, but have been told that I must.

10. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    Where does GoT fit in?
    I do find it overly one-sided (on the power side) and always fitting one side's plans, but I still enjoy it.

how manybooks have you read, one sided, geez I find it amazing :D

I refuse to read no book, except twilight - dont want to waste my time, beause I believe you can learn something for a book (except twilight, I hate it for making wapires gay sparkling pu**ies )

11. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Can't learn anything from The Host (also by Meyer).

12. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    and yet, you didnt answer my question

13. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    For me the style in which GoT was written was melodramatic at best. I think I reached my nausea limit right about when Stark's wife is wondering if her son going with him is "her punishment". It's probably just me, but Martin's writing voice makes my flesh crawl.

14. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    To answer your question cat, I'll have to say that the reason I said that GoT was much too one-sided is because it lays all the power on one side then on the other. That one side always has the upper hand by far.

It is impossible to write a book that is not one-sided, even if it tells the story from the enemies points of view, both seeing their cause as good, because there is always somebody else that sees something in a different way.

15. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    yeah, it is realistic :) i`ll call it that

16. Crouton

Crouton New Member

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I never refuse to read anything. I believe no one has the right to judge a book, film, TV show etc unless they have watched or read it. If not then their opinion isn't really valid to me. I KNOW I hate the Twilight series and The Hunger Games series, because I read each and every book. So now I have a good understanding of just why I don't like them and what makes them so bad. My hatred isn't invalid.

17. Black Tattoo

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Another added to the list - "The Purifying Fire" by Laura Resnick.

Not a very long book that took me a LOT longer to read than it should have. Fantastic ideas and a few clever twists, but in my opinion horribly written. Simplistic and occassionally contradictory to itself. Not high onmy recommendations list, to say the least.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2012
  18. Disco Jezebel

Disco Jezebel Speak Your Right Words

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I have never turned a book down, but after reading the 'Twilight Series' I wish I did. On, my behalf I did read those books before it was a fad. I have a weakness, when I start a series I have to finish it. Out of all of them that series, made me want those hours of my life back the most. *sobs for Lost time!*

19. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Well its good the twilight books are an easy read, very simply written, I read the three first book of the Shannara series..... Now there's time i want back for sure.. booooring and crappy. Wont ever try to read them again.