Books you refuse to read

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Emelie, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I was thinking, is anyone interested in doing a sort of "agreement". We read one of the books that we refuse to read, and then come back and say if we were right not wanting to read it, or if it actually wasn't as bad as we thought?

2. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I think that's a good idea Emelie, although I'm not sure I could do it myself as I'm struggling to get anything read at the moment.

I wouldn't start with the very first ones as there's no particular reason to read them in order and I think the first couple are the weakest. "The Colour of Magic" put me off Pratchett for a couple of years. My favourite are the City Watch books, starting with "Guards! Guards!" which I think would be a better starting point. Any other suggestions for good starting points?

I think "satire" is a better description than "parody" BTW; the Discworld books are far closer to something like "Gulliver's Travels" than they are "Bored of the Rings" (which I couldn't finish either).

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  3. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I would suggest that you better do not tell yourself to finish a book when you start reading one. You can never be sure to fullfill that promise to yourself. When there is a block while you read a book, there must be reason. Do not force yourself to do something you are not willing to. Give it some time, perhaps later on, you will see things with different eyes.

Concerning OCD I have a funny anecdote - I started practising TM and Zazen already in my childhood and now begin to have insight in those meditation practices others usually begin with. There are things with music, noises, voices and I am used to listen to the silence of my inner self which can be sometimes quite loud as well. But when I first practised one of those with music I really got startled and alarmed because of the loudness.
    *lol*, but I think when you begin with the things someone should begin with - that would be a good idea and could be of help.

4. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Won't [ever] read The Da Vinci Code or the Cherub books

5. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    True, shouldn't make me finish books, but it's hard not to think that way.

Interesting! TM and Zazen, I've always been interested with meditation, you like those methods? I have my own quirky ways of meditating, sort of, at least they work for me, even if it's not a known thing haha.

6. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I read The Da Vinci Code several months before it hit big and I thought the book was horrible.

Twice in the book the writer resorts to bullshit resolutions to puzzles... "it was so simple it alluded us" was used once too many times. Also, Dan Brown's portrayal of history is so bad it deserves nothing but ridicule. To somehow have Leonardo da Vinci and Sir Isaac Newton set up as wayward feminists is way beyond ridiculous... neither man thought much of women while alive. Newton was either asexual or homosexual and what brief accounts of the feminine sex have survived in his writing... none of them speak well of his attitudes toward women.

7. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    Twilight books. Mostly because of all the bad things I've heard about them and the story very much seems not to be "my thing". Haven't seen the movies either. Oh, and I strongly dislike Pattinson.

8. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Oddrun, I have been waiting for someone to bring up those books. Those are the ones that feels like they are most hated, and people refuse to read them, probably because the hysteria surrounding them.

But it's all about personal preferences, I don't really mind the books, and have read them. But I would read most things involving vampires, even sparkling ones. Although I'm not a big fan of the sparkling, the first time I saw the movies i was expecting the sunlight to show something skeleton/demon like. Ahh the disappointment... But the thing with those books is that they are very easy to read and even though many finds Meyer a poor writer, she still got something special, otherwise the books wouldn't have been such a hit.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  9. Oddrun

Oddrun I speak languages.

Ratings:
    +200 / 1 / -0
    I don't mind vampires but I think Twilight is just too "girly" for my taste :p And it's not like I hate it (I haven't read it so I can't say), it's just that I don't feel like reading it.

10. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Yes I agree with you, it is more of a love story than it is fantasy/vampires. So if one is into love stories + supernatural creatures, its a hit!

11. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    Add me to the list for Twilight and Harry Potter...no interest what so ever.

12. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Yes, I like these methods. They help me a lot finding my way through my life. I am very interested in your methods but perhaps there is another possibility of discussion without hijacking your own thread ;) ?

13. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, mustn't hijack my own thread haha

I found another book/series I wont ever read, atleast not more of.. the Shannara books - Terry Brooks. I was so goddamn disappointed in the first two, I just couldn't manage to continue reading them.

14. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Really? I read the elfstones of shannara a long while ago but remember I really enjoyed it. :/ I'm tempted to pick it back up again just to see if memory serves me well.
    Also, I enjoyed Harry Potter, but then again I'm still young and always appealed to me.
    But then its not my favorite series I've read or anything like that.

My ex-girlfriend made me read all the twilight series (yes made me. ) annnd I didn't really like it. Don't have a burning hatred for it but don't think its anything above mediocre as far as stories go. Lets not get into sparkly vampires though.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2012
  15. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I've read The sword of Shannara and The elfstones of Shannara, tried to read The wishsong of Shannara, The bit that highly annoyed me is how he finish every book and continues on with a completely different story in the next one. If I read a series I want it to be a continuing story with the same people or atleast continuing on a story. Not a lot of stand alone books.
    And also I felt that the two books had the exact same theme somehow and were predictable. I've heard others speak so highly about them, so I just got so disappointed =/
    I can understand how others can like them though.

Well the good thing about you having read Twilight is that now you can actually say that you don't like them and people wont get to say "You can't say that if you haven't read them!" ;)

16. Tym

Tym New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I'm not really a big fan of Terry Pratchett. I read three of his books and I just didn't like them, so I just stopped trying to like them:p

Hmmmmm I did have an aversion to crime, but then I read it and I love it:p Yeah, the only novels I wouldn't read are the ones that are marketed as twilight...with more muscles. Like do you know the ones with a cover almost entirely taken up by someone's six pack?:p
    (Yes I may be jealous)

17. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Haha I can agree with you Tym, books with pictures of someones sixpack isn't really that appealing. I don't like covers that have pictures at all.. I prefer the more classic ones!
    And good, another one that doesn't like pratchett's books! :D *not feeling so lonely anymore*

18. ShadowStar

ShadowStar New Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Harry Potter (Not interested in books or movies)
    Eragon (Purple prose is unhygienic)
    Twilight (Vampires should be bad ass and should not under any circumstances sparkle)
    Lord of the Rings (as well as the Hobbit) (Not so much refuse as I can't bring myself to read them, even though I've got them)
    Anything scary by anyone (Over active imagination + scary books/movies = nightmares and scaring for life)

19. Calidore

Calidore New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Thoroughly agree here. Brian Lumley got it right with his Wamphyri.

20. Tym

Tym New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ahhhhh I now what you mean. Like the re-realesed version of books that are one solid, rich colour, with the name of the book in this realy rich tone of colour. Lol, my library got new versions of The Catcher in The Rye and I was like "WOW!!!".
    Oh and I heard, well read, someone mention Eragon having purple prose...God bless you. I thought I was the only one not seeing the hype:p