Books you refuse to read

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Emelie, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    I have a long list of books that I must read, but I do also have some books that I never ever want to read.

Do you have any book or series that you never want to read? and why?

I for example, wont ever read any book written by Terry Pratchett, I don't know why, but I've always felt an aversion to his books. Just by looking on the covers (Yes judging the book buy it's cover), the way it's a parody and the thought of the whole elephant, turtle thing... It just doesn't feel "real" to me, which of course is weird, cause it's FANTASY, but still. It's one of those things, my brain just doesn't want me to read them. Even though people try to persuade me more often than I like.

(Hope there's not already a thread like this, i tried looking but found nothing similar)

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    I'm going to have to pause and come back to this once the shock wears off.

People who've not read Terry is fine - but one who refuses to read --- gah you need to NEEEED TOO!
    If you don't like the covers they've gone all minimalist now with new black covers on most of the series (which are always being reprinted). Personally I far far prefer the old covers, but if its the cover that scares you go for the new black ones

3. Saeriel

Saeriel A Paranoid Android

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I refuse to read vampire books now -.- It makes me sad, since vampires are still my favorite supernatural humanoid, but anything like post-2000 with Vampires in it I refuse to read ever since Twilight.

Other than that there's not really anything else I can think of that I absolutely refuse to read ^^

Also, I find the new covers - the black ones - nicer than the old ones. I know what you mean about them ^^

4. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Harry Potter because I just can't handle it haha
    and that's really about it...

5. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Vampires are somewhat dealt a bad hand by most of the vampire centric books mostly being located in the romance and "sex" section (not that the last part is even actually mentioned on the bookshelves of course).

6. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I cannot read Eragon or anything in that series. I'm no author but his writing style is really terrible to me.. I've read the first few chapters or so and I'm sure the concept gets better as it goes on but it feels really childish to me and unappealing.

7. Saeriel

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Meh, honestly after the first book it just gets worse and worse imo, not that the first was all that brilliant.

8. Forgotten Realms

Forgotten Realms Human Version of Drizzt

Emerged from the Underdark into the Light
    Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    I have not found the book I cannot read up to now.

9. Silvermune

Silvermune New Member

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    Well then, glad I never got too far into it if it just gets worse and worse.

10. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1
    I'm with you on Pratchett... I just don't get the whole Discworld thing. He is a great writer though... I'm just not into parody. I loved The Hobbit and LotR, but I won't touch Tolkien's other work. And above all I will never ever read another Wheel of Time book. I count every minute spent on the first four books as a complete waste of time.

In addition... I will never read another Jane Austen book, nor anything by Terry Goodkind.

11. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

Then you've never read a book by Sara Douglass. :)

12. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    Haha I was expecting to come in here to see Sparrow say 'the bible' but i guess i was wrong

13. Saeriel

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I kind of feel bad saying this, but uh, that. I forgot to add it; I have attempted to read it before. Well; I find any religious text taxing, but the bible in particular.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  14. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    @Emelie If the cover is your only problem then rip it of and read at least one Terry Pratchett book because you have nooo idea what you are missing.

I refuse to read any Stephen Kings books only because I find them very veeery scary and since while I read images are forming in my head, the images from his books are disturbing. But I do want to read his Dark tower series, Ive heard its not just scary things.

15. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    I m trying to finish the otori myths but not cause i don't like it but time is killing me....

16. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    I loved those books!!!!

17. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Yes i like the first very much! Takeo Otori!!!! :D Its really bad to return home tired and try to read... I usually fall asleep in my bed without put the book in safe place!

18. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +251 / 3 / -1

I've read the Bible several times, some passages dozens of times.
    I've read several books about the Bible, how it came to be and those men who decided what made the final cut and what ended up on the cutting-room floor. You don't become a real atheist without first seriously considering the possibility of a God. The road to atheism runs through Jerusalem... as we like to say. :)

19. Emelie

Emelie Queen of darkness

Ratings:
    +62 / 0 / -0
    Overread - Sorry for the chock :p I do like the new covers for the books! they look so much better, but it's still the whole parody approach of the book I don't like much, just like I don't like books like "Bored of the Rings" (lord of the rings parody).

Forgotten Realms - That's great, one should keep an open mind! I've come across a few I couldn't manage to finish, which is amazing, considering when I start to read books I must finish them (some OCD perhaps?)

Sparrow - Finally someone that feels the same about the parody aspect of Pratchetts books :) . To bad about Sword of truth though.. One of my favourites.

Sevi - Ouch, ripping something from a book would be painful :D If I ever decide to read them, it will be the ones in the new covers.

Anduil - Don't you ever bring them with you? reading while sitting on the bus is a great way to pass the time. And hopefully you wont fall asleep there :D

20. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Early Discworld books are not a strong Parody so much as a quirky world; latter books might be more a parody of real life, but honestly its presented in a manner which I think works to build its own world. Discworld might be based partly on our world, but its very much its own thing like any fantasy story.