Books you can't remember the titles to

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Mahogany, Sep 30, 2011.

1. Mahogany

Mahogany New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm new to this forum and I'm kind of on a mission. When I was in high school, I read a lot of books from the library and many of the stories stuck with me. However, the titles and authors didn't. I'm hoping that here, among other fantasy readers, someone would have read the same ones I did. I also titled this thread like I did so if anyone else have books they can't remember the title to, feel free to post. :)

All right, I have two books that I can't remember the titles of.

The first one is actually a series. It's about this Irish boy who finds out that he's a part of something called the Word and the Old Ones - they always said that you can hear the capitalization of those words when spoken. He gets special powers because of it and has to deal with the typical baddies wanting to destroy the world. In one of the books, he had to get his friends involved and all four of his friends went through these trials that pinned them against their greatest fears and they grew because of it. And then he had to wipe their memories to protect them. Oh, and the boy is part of a large Irish family - I want to say he has eight siblings - and both of his parents are in the picture.

The second book is set in a world where people control these floating, musical spheres. These sphere - which I think are golden, but they might've been other colors, as well - float along in the sky and no one knows where they come from. What they do know is that through some innate magic humans have, they can control the spheres and have them naturally float around one's head. The spheres can make music, and the more spheres, and the bigger they are, the more respected you are. The main character of the book is a boy who can't hold onto a sphere. However, he finds that he can still control them and create music, they just don't float around his head. He meets this girl who doesn't have spheres, either, and she's a bit emotionally messed up (though I can't remember precisely why, if the book gives those details to her past). They become friends and he falls for her, but she leaves the village one day. He goes in search for her and along the way, catched the eye of a professor at a college. He spends some time there, learning more about the spheres and growing as a person. He finds her again and she reveals that she's been trying to find where the spheres come from. (Apologizes for spoiling the end right here.) They find out that gnomes, hidden under ground, make them and send them up on the air currents. The last thing I remember about the book is that it had a list of how to pronounce certain words, which was extremely helpful.

If anyone has an inkling of what the books are called, I'd be really greatful for the help. I've tried Google searching and going to the library to look for them, but if you don't know the title and just a vague description, it's very difficult to find them.

2. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    The first one reminds me of Artemis Fowl, but it's not, and I have no idea about the second.
    Do you know if these are old(er) books, or relatively new (older = before 1980).

3. Mahogany

Mahogany New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Oh, the first one, the series is definately written after 1980. I want to say the second book was as well, but I don't know for sure. And I read these in 2001 - 2003.

4. Sierk

Sierk New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey Mahogany,

I am sorry, but I do not know the books you are speaking of. Hopefully somebody will knowthe titles sometime soon.

I however have a similar request of a series i once read. I can not remember when exactly I read this series, but it must have been at least 8 years ago.

The book is about mages who can channel a certain kind of magic. For every mage this magic has a different colour and they use some kind of crystal on a staff to channel and steer the magic to their will. At some point the main character (Jared I believe) bonds with an eagle (or some other kind of honorable bird) and with that obtains great power. Another distinctive thing about this book is the big modern city like land that is connected to the midieval old part where Jared starts. In the city magic is not known and instead they use staves that can spit fire. At some time in the book the two different worlds collide when the people from the modern city attack the midieval land.

Anyone happen to know this book? I have tried searching for keywords on Google with little effect.

5. Sierk

Sierk New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Woah! After entering every single possible combination of keywords several days now I finally found it!

It's the Lontobyn chronicle written by David B. Coe.

:D