Book vs Movie Characters

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by Strider, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Meldawen

Meldawen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I agree, and that is the reason they made the changes they did. I think that What they did in the movie worked well.

Although, I'm hoping that when the extended version of the ROTK comes out, they will make the ending more like the book.

2. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ya me too, I was just so relieved when in the end it showed faramir and eowyn togther, I did not want her to be dumped again......!!!!

3. celebrimor

celebrimor Elven Jewel-smith

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    yeh hopefully *crossing fingers*

4. Cactuskim

Cactuskim New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi Elvenblademaster,

I'm not sure where you got the Idea that Thranduil had dark or Black hair, but you are wrong.

If you read unfinished taless and the appendix's of the LOTR trilogy, it is clear that the 'Elven king' of the Hobbit is Thranduil... He becomes king at the death of his father in the battle of the second alliance, and is still king during and after the war of the rings. the only discription of his appearance is in the Hobbit, and it clearly states that his hair is 'Golden'.

As for any information in the War and Weapons book, the only thing that can be trusted in that book is the pictures.

the Sindar elves were related to the Teleri, and they tended to be fair haired more frequently than not. It was the Noldor elves that tended to be dark haired. of course there were frequent exceptions to the rule... Glorfindel was a Noldor and definitly Blonde. Luthien was Sindar and had black hair. Etc...

Tolkien never tells us the color of Legolas' hair, (The line in FOTR where Frodo looks up at Legolas really doesn't tell us anything, because it was a dark moonless night, and Legolas is being slightly back lit by the stars and Frodo only notices that his "HEAD" appeared dark... Never said Hair... and in that lighting everything would look 'Dark") and the debate will probably rage on forever. I think that in view of the fact that his one parent had Blonde hair, and his mother was most likely either Sindar or Silvan (Which both tended towards lighter hair colors) making him a blonde was a reasonable assumption on Peter Jackson's part.

Cactuskim

5. OrcShaman

OrcShaman Star Trek addict

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    hehehe, i bet there weren't any fat elves in JRRT's books. But in the movies.... i mean, look at Haldir :D :D

6. Cactuskim

Cactuskim New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    LOL, you had better run fast OrcShaman before any of the Haldir fans see what you just posted.

Of course, I have frequently had similar thoughts in regards to ugly elves and Dear Haldir *Ducks flood of rotten vegtables that are thrown her way* Ooopps! I've done it now!

*Carefully ties up running shoes and looks at OrcShaman in an apprasing way* I don't actually have to out run that angry mob, I only have to out run YOU! :p

Cactuskim

7. OrcShaman

OrcShaman Star Trek addict

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, sometime truth can be disturbing :) :) :)

8. Bard

Bard Erchamion

Ratings:
    +22 / 0 / -0
    other than the homosexuality, then you are pretty much right missy.