Book vs Movie Characters

Discussion in 'J.R.R. Tolkien / Lord of the Rings' started by Strider, Feb 13, 2004.

1. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    I know there are a lot of threads dealing with the differences between the books and movies but this is for specific characters. I'm doing a presentation in class comparing three characters. The main purpose of the presentation is to show the differences of them.

I was thinking of doing Aragorn, Frodo and Faramir.

So I was wondering what are your thoughts on the differences between these characters. Or if you have better suggestions on characters to do.

2. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Actually instead of Faramir I would do an Elf like legolas, that way you you have a Man, a hobbit, and Elf. because Aragorn and Faramir were very similar as Frodo noted in the book. Instead Legolas you could maybe Elrond or Glorfindel.

3. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    hmmm but was there that big of difference between book Legolas and movie Legolas?

4. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    It would really be hard to say, because little or do details are given about Legolas. He's pretty much your basic elf. The only thing I can think of is that in the book, he has dark, hair and blonde hair in the movie, but that's not really relevant is it?

5. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    yah, couldn't really give a long speech on that. Glorfindel...there isn't much to say other than the fact that he was non-existant in the movies. I did see an actor listed as playing him once though...it wasn't an official site so I was wondering if that was some mistake.

See Faramir and Aragorn are easy to do because they have major differences. Frodo is even a little tough other than he is a whimp in the movie and has an attitude in the books.

6. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well I'll tell ya right now lady_of_shallot, Legolas did not have dark hair, he was a green elf of the Laiquendi, a silvan Elf, they all had Blonde hair to verying degrees.

And differences between movie Legolas and book Legolas are almost limitless. He did not and could not Bring down a Mumak all by himself, he did not wear armour and a sword at helms deep, he was not a superelf as he was portrayed in the movie, he cairried oly one knife not two. There is much more but it would take a lot of studieng.
    As for Glorfindell in the movie , I don't know if he was in the cast list or not, but in ROTK when arwen comes to Gondor, there is a tall Blonde Elf with Elrond who looked for all the world like a spittin image of what I would picture Glofy as.

7. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The whole Legolas issue is very much up to debate. I also imagined Legolas with brown hair and will continue to do so.

The whole super elf is true but then my teacher would expect me to go into why that is impossible for an elf to do that but it is a possibility. I do only have a week to put this together plus a million other things to do *sigh*

8. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    No elf had brown hair. It was either black or blonde. I hope you do well on your assignment.

9. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Did they ever state it was black? Elves that didn't have blonde hair were most of the time said to have dark hair that I've seen. You can have a very dark brown. I don't know...but he isn't blonde!

thanks!

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  10. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ok dude, the Elves that are said to have dark hair are described as haveing raven black hair like Feanor. Why do think Legolas had brown hair when tolkien spacificly sais it was blonde. I don't have the book here but when I get home I will look it up and pm you.

11. javelin98

javelin98 does anyone read these?

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Hey, what about the movie adaptation of Tom Bombadil? He was very colorless in the film... practically invisible, I'd say...

12. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    hahahaha or just plain nonexistant.

13. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    Kinda depends on your definition of blonde doesn't it. I always considered his hair to be blonde myself.

14. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Well, I only mentioned it because I remember reading in the Fellowship where Tolkien said something about the light on Legolas' dark hair. I'll go back and check that, but 'dark' never made me think 'black', although it could mean that.

15. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yah he never stated it was blonde! Here is Legolas's descirptions

"There was also a strange Elf clad in green and brown."

Thats his opening description of Legolas. No mention of hair colour at all or much detail that matter. If he had mention it was blonde all those artist who drew pictures of Legolas before the movie came out would have been all blonde, instead its half and half. The debate of Legolas's hair has raged on for decades and will probably never end. It's been debated many times on these forums even. It's all a matter of personal opinion. And when I read the books I thought brown.

Tom Bombadil...would be a short speech indeed with him ;)

and its dudette :p

Last edited: Feb 17, 2004
  16. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ok Legolas' father Thranduil, and his grandfather Oropher, were sindarin Elves, like Elrond. Although Elrond was sindar, noldor, edain, and maiar. He had dark hair, black if you will. Now Thranduil and Oropher were also sindar so it is likely that they had dark hair (but I guarantee you when they make the hobbit it will show thranduil with blonde hair not that I agree) But legolas was half silvan and half sindar, because his father married a silvan Elf. So the question as to his eye and hair color is dabateable, in the movie it was sometimes hard to tell what color his hair was wether it was blonde or a light brown, blus his eye color changed countless times with no specific patern. I don't think the changing eye color thing was a mistake because, when we first meet legolas in the movie at the council of Elrond, his eyes are blue. Orlando bloom has blue eyes. I beleive PJ did that on purpose. So it is possible that legolas had dark hair and it is also possible he had blonde, it is also possible that it changed back and forth.

17. Meldawen

Meldawen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think Aragorn and Faramir are very good characters to use. There is a lot of material for Aragorn... in the movie he was portrayed as being very reluctant to be king... all the way to the end, yet in the book, he was not reluctant... the way I see it, he was facing his destiny with confidence and eagerness, only waiting for the right time for his claim.

With Faramir, in the book, he did not go through such a journey. He helped Frodo and Sam right from the start and was not at all tempted to take the ring. The book also went into detail about his healing and the growth of his relationship and subsequent marriage with Eowyn, where in the movie they did not include any of that.

The difference with Legolas to me were really simply in the amount of communication and interaction he had with others. The movie gave the impression that he was a very quiet type and very much a follower... yet in the book, he was much more vocal and seemed a wiser individual than in the movie, and the book gave the feeling that he was indeed of the royal house and a leader in his own right.

18. Meldawen

Meldawen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    If I recall correctly, the eye color changed because Orlando was having difficulty with the contacts and needed to give his eyes a rest from them. And remember, they did not shoot sceens consecutively... like with Worm Tongue- they shot the sceen with Wormtongue and Saruman, with him dabbing a cut with a hankerchief on the corner of his mouth, before the sceen where Wormtongue was thrown down the stairs outside the great hall. They figured that when he did fall down the stairs he would probably have cut his lip but when they actually then filmed the scene he didn't have that cut and they forgot to make it look so. (there's a great deal of interesting information in the collectors dvd editions of the movies.)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2004
  19. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Well in the weapons and warefare book it says that legolas' eyes were different colors his hair too...

20. celebrimor

celebrimor Elven Jewel-smith

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I dont like how PJ portrayed faramir as being a mean person like his brother (going ring crazy).... but it wouldn't have been such a good movie if they did it like the book, people would get bored they need to see some stuff like that in the movie