Book Suggestions

Discussion in 'General Books' started by Turin, Aug 12, 2003.

1. CupofDice

CupofDice Gamabunta

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0

You actually have the nerve to call ASoIaF boring? You actually have the nerve to put Feist above Martin? Blasphemer!

2. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Klay, I'd like to know why you considered aSoIaF boring, because IMHO, it's one of the most incredible series out there. It's not that I'm mad or anything, but I'd like to have an opposite point of view on why aSoIaF isn't a good book. To me, both the characters and the multi-plots are intriguing, and I could never call it boring.

Anyway... although this appears to be an old thread, if you're looking for a good, non-series book, read "American Gods" by Neil Gaiman. I just read this today/yesterday, and it's excellent.

3. Morelen

Morelen Jer Mom

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I'm hereby recommending The Golden Key, a collaboration by three authors whose names I can't all remember. But it's filed under Melanie Rawn.

Good stuff.

4. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Melanie Rawn, Kate Elliott, and Irene Radford - I read it too. :D

Smokey, that's just your opinion, but forming an opinion without even reading the books seems weird to me. Feist uses too many stereotypes (I only read the first book, but it bored me) IMO of dwarves and elves (and notice eledhel and moredhel are from Tolkien's ME), and although GRRM uses only humans, his characters are so varied that I can't decide whether to love them or hate them sometimes.

5. Elan Morin Tedronai

Elan Morin Tedronai The Forsaken

Ratings:
    +47 / 0 / -0
    Ah, the old "I havent heard of him so he can't be good" argument rears its ugly head again. I've read both Feist's and GRRM's work, and I can without a doubt say that A Song Of Ice And Fire totally owns Feist in every possible way.

Now don't get me wrong, I love Feist's work, but ASOIAF is just a cut above most fantasy novels these days.

6. Klay

Klay New Member

I live within the confines of my overactive imagin
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I found the fact that 'AsoIaf' as you dub it, had no other races asides from humans to be a particular step in it's downfall for me. Sure the characters were interesting, some of them truly facinating granted, but I saw this lack of other races as almost a lack of inspiration on the author's behalf. I figured he could have almost set his book in modern times, with a few minor tweaks of course, and no one would be the wiser. I believe that when a book is classed as a fantasy novel it should contain certain elements of fantasy. George R. R. martin has a few elements of such in his works but not to the creative degree of Fiest.
    Ergo, I would, without a moments hesitation, pick fiest's work over George's.

Ps: Smokey you are a fiend.

7. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Hmm, interesting argument, Klay, but IMHO, I loved Martin's work precisely because of that. His characters are so widely varied without having to resort to other races.

8. Morelen

Morelen Jer Mom

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Hmm...I've always thought that it makes a book less unweildy on the brain i it hasn't got other races. Tolkien did it masterfully, but a lot of authors can't seem to manage it without making it awkward.

:smurf:

9. Klay

Klay New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So then, what you are saying is, you would prefer to read an author who is either unable to create other races, lacking perhaps the literary diversity, and so resorts to writing books about a single race, or you choose to read books that only contain one race because it is easier on the mind?
    That comment only strengthens my argument Morelen. Fiest has the ability to juggle between races, to create a world which can house them with a great deal of authenticity, so by rights what your saying does not connect to this debate on George R R Martin's behalf. What you are saying Is 'mayhap George could create other races, mayhap he could do it well, but he chooses not to, perhaps because he 'can't pull it off' to coin a phrase.
    However on the other hand Fiest has done it, and in my opinion he certainly hasn't failed.

10. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    But it seems to me that when you have other races, they're so typical-ified (yes, I know that's not a real word... :p) I only read the one of Feist's book, the first one about Pug-Milamber (can't remember the title), so I'm probably not in the best position to judge something. However, I had the impression that the Elves were very honor-bound warriors, and that ALL of them were. Dwarves were very hardy.

On the other hand, let's look at the Lannisters from aSoIaF, just for an example. Lord Tywin is a cold, avaricious lord, while his brother Kaven is warmer but still worships him. Then Tywin's children are an odd bunch - a mocking dwarf who has a clever mouth that gets him into lots of trouble and twins that enjoy you-know-what each other. Cersei is far more impatient than Lord Tywin (and IMO stupider), completely blind to her children's faults, while Jaime doesn't care about anyone except himself, Cersei, Tyrion, and his pride. It's amazing how varied the characters are without having to resort to another race.

For me, I prefer characters and plots to races, but then again, that's just my opinion.

11. Klay

Klay New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A mocking dwarf who has a clever mouth that gets him into lots of trouble, it's amazing how varied the characters are.
    For me, I prefer characters and plots to races, but then again, that's just my opinion.[/QUOTE]

I would just like to make a few comments on what you have just said. Perhaps one of the reasons George R. R. Martin's characters did not take such a hold on me, was because I have already come across a character who is almost identical in appearance, manner and dialect to the 'mocking dwarf who has a clever mouth' as you aptly name him. This particular character I found treading the pages of a David Gemmell book. Now, you may or may not have read any of Gemmell's books however, if you were perchance to pick up a certain work of his called 'Ironhands daughter' you would find a character by the name of Ballistar in it. This character is so simular to the 'mocking dwarf' in George R. R. Martin's books that i felt slightly disgusted to find a carbon copy of him. Ironhands daughter was first published in 1994 so, It is possible George had already wrote his debatable novels. So by all means correct me if I am wrong.

Ha ha don't attempt to swindle talk of plot into this debate, I never said that I didn't think plot was important, quite the contrary actually, I think of plot as the cornerstone of a good book. And even if you were not doing such, you can't compare a plot to other races.

However it has been facinating holding palaver regarding such issues of immense interest. I'm sure if your ready to return with a witty rejoinder we can continue our debate but until then, with out further adu I bid you adieu.

12. Morelen

Morelen Jer Mom

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I've never read any books by Feist, so I don't know how well he does it. All I'm saying is that I find fantasy that has a 'historical' aspect (i.e. could have happened even though we know it didn't) is more appealing to me. Like I said, Tolkien did it well, but not everyone can, and if someone knows that they can't pull it off (like me; I generally stay away from elves and sundry because I know that I can't make it convincing), then they shouldn't write them in.

:smurf:

13. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Nope, I haven't read Gemell - which books of his would you recommend?

14. Aemon Targaryen

Aemon Targaryen New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A Heartbreaking Work of Staggering Genius - David Eggers

It's an autobiography of how when the author's mother dies he has to raise his kid brother, but throughout it is funny and memorable. I was surprised how cool it was.

15. Klay

Klay New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Lady dragon heart, I would reccomend nearly any of his books to a person interested in reading a fresh and exciting author, however to narrow your search and to attain one of his better works I would pick one of the following to begin with.

Winter Warriors(Part of the Drenai saga)
    Echoes of the Great Song(Standalone novel)
    Legend(Debatably book one of the Drenai saga)
    or
    Sword in the Storm(book one of the Rigante)

Any of these works are highly entertaining, and I would reccomend that you all immeadiatly flock to your nearest book outlet and obtain one of them. And, if you should find the shelves to be lacking of his books, simply grasp the purveyor of shop by the scruff of the neck and promptly have one ordered...using no form of intimidation of course.

16. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Ugh.

As it appears that the city library contains exactly TEN books of Gemell, most of which seem to be mid-series (and I can't stand starting in the middle of a series), I'm going to have to buy one. Unfortunately, I'm not going to be able to go to a bookstore for a while (you know, school + temptation = bad grades, particularly when the subject is physics....), but I'll buy one of his books as soon as possible. Promise. :D