Book Fans vs. Movie Fans

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mavurik, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Mavurik

Mavurik New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Earlier today I was reading about the Tolkien Estate and how Christopher Tolkien won't allow the rights of the Hobbit to be sold so that Peter Jackson can make a movie based on the book. In my personal opinion, I think this is ridiculous and that Christopher might be taking things too far, as he's cut all ties with one of his brothers and his family just because his brother went to a premiere for one of the movies. All of this over a story. I wonder what his father would think about that behavior. Anyways, I'll get to the point.

I know many people have read the books over and over and over again and are extreme fans. I myself was introducted to Tolkien through reading the Hobbit, which is one of my favorite books. I'm now reading The Fellowship of the Ring and plan to finish it this time (I've tried reading it before but stopped due to things taking up my time). I also plan to finish The Two Towers and The Return of the King before it comes out here in Japan in February.

Before I say anything, let me tell you that reading the books is like a movie itself. I can't help but imagine every scene in detail as I read it and the books are on a level that no movie nor producer could ever replicate. I've never enjoyed reading fiction so much before.

However, what bothers me is there seems to be an ongoing argument between hardcore fans of the book and fans of the movie. Why are people being so ignorant? Fans of the book are mad at PJ for cutting out certain scenes, telling things a little differently, etc. Old fans are mad at new fans for not being serious enough or philosophically evaluating everything that the books are about. Please. If you want to evaluate the books and debate on various topics, do so and enjoy it. Nobody's stopping you. If you like the movies because you think Legolas is hot, that's your thing. Why get mad at other people because of what they like? I doubt you'll change people's character by judging them or telling them they're not as big of a fan as you because they don't study all of the book's themes or read them 5 times a year.

Because of the movies more and more fans are being introduced to Tolkien everyday, and I hardly see that as a bad thing. If someone can read the books and experience something even close to what I have, I don't see why it matters how they were introduced to the books. All that matters is that they were, and I thank Peter Jackson for giving me more fans to talk to and making Lord of the Rings something that everyone can relate to. Because of the movies, Lord of the Rings is socially acceptable now even moreso than it was before. Face it, before the movies came out you hardly heard about LotR outside of Dungeon and Dragons circles.

If you look at the facts and logic, making a movie out of the Lord of the Rings trilogy that includes every little detail to make all the hardcore fans happy would probably be one of the most boring movie experiences of all time. If you want a movie with all of the details, every character, history, and scene included then please read the following lines very carefully:

Make. Your. Own. Movie.

That's all that has to be said to those hardcore fans that can't be satisfied. As for me, I'm a fan of the books as well as the movies. In fact, I LOVE the movies. I know that Peter Jackson worked as hard as he could to make the movie as close to the books as possible in a way that would be accepted widely by people and still keep the movies enjoyable. He has made three movies that run at least 3 hours long, and they are so good, to me at least, that at the end I want more.

I'm not a fan on the level of extremeness as some people but I'm getting there. I'd like to think of myself as a big fan even though I haven't read every history of middle earth or book published by Tolkien. As for the movies, I understand that PJ had to make certain changes and it doesn't bother me at all. Any movie director that can do what Peter Jackson did with the Lord of the Rings DESERVES respect and has earned it, whether you want to give it to him or not. Not only for his consideration to the fans, but for all of the hard work, blood and sweat that he put into creating these movies. I'm pretty sure that almost all of the complainers could never make something hardly as close to what PJ has done in their entire lifetime. Give the man some respect and stop the stupid arguments.

2. Shinagani

Shinagani New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The Silmarillion:
    The Penta-Trilogy

Directed by: Shinagani

Oooo....I like the sound of that, excuse me I gotta go call New Line....

3. PrinceOfMirkwood

PrinceOfMirkwood Elven Assasin

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    go with that! lol i'd actually love to see a silmarillion movie. feanor strikes again!

4. Legend

Legend Made in NZ

Land of the Long White Cloud/Aotearoa/New Zealand
    Ratings:
    +28 / 0 / -0
    Well said Mavurik, I personally love both the book and the movies(especially EE DVD).

5. Aranel

Aranel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Mavurik, I couldn't have said it better, I agree with everything you said.

6. Curufeanor

Curufeanor Master Noldori Elvensmith

The Halls of Mandos in Valinor, on my throne where
    Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I like the books and the movies cuz they r both great and always will be (to me at least). And I agree that the Silmarillion would be a cool film, althoughI think it would be better as a made-for-tv, 10-20 part, 1-2 hour long mini-series, cuz it would obviously not make a movie-in-1.

And as for the Hobbit, rejoice Mavurik cuz the Hobbit will soon come under New Line licensing (as soon as '05) after a deal with the current owners, cuz the makers of the old cartoons have the MOVIE rights, NOT the Tolkien estate. It WILL either be made into a year-long made-for-tv mini-series or another 3 hour long movie, and will feature many members of the LOTR cast, such as McKellen, Bloom, Rhys-Davies, Serkis, Weaving, among others... however, Sir Holm currently has no plans of reprising the role of Bilbo.

According to the rumours, the preliminary script included Gimli and Legolas in the Battle of 5 Armies, and the possibility of seeing what Gandalf did while Bilbo and the dwarves took the Mirkwood road (a face-off with the Necromancer, aka Sauron).

Check out the LOTR Spoilers and Rumours forum for more details.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2004
  7. Ymina

Ymina New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I am personally more of a fan of the books than the movies. (Obviously because so much was left out from the books to make the movies.) And if I needed any imagery I can look at any of my Alan Lee or John Howe books. So imo, if I had to choose I would choose the books over the movies, after all its JRR Tolkein's work not Peter Jacksons

8. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    im a fan of both i like the movies but the books will always be better

9. berennluthien

berennluthien New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I have grown up with Tolkien. My dad read them to me when I was young and I have continued to read them ever since. As much as I love these books and will continue to read them, I also greatly enjoy the movies. There were a few changes I did not like, but I understand the film-makers reasoning behind these changes, and well dealt with it. I agree, if you don't like the movies don't watch them, but a lot of "hardcore" Tolkien fans- I would claim to be one myself- love the movies as well. To each his own I guess :)

10. dwarf tosser

dwarf tosser "What the Deuce?"

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I still think that maybe Christapher might not be reaciving any money for it. and that he probibly wants a cut that greedy bastard. Even if PJ does make the movie. it will inspire people to read the books, right?

-dt

11. berennluthien

berennluthien New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Actually Tolkien Estates is receiving a % of the money from the movies, and even more of a % of related merchandise. It is, from my understanding, that Christopher Tolkien did not ever want any movie made based on the books and he wants people to remember his father's LOTR, not PJ. IMO he is a grump old man...

12. Curufeanor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well yall, from what i hear along the many RotK EE spoiler forums is that many of the scenes omitted/deleted from the movies (the entire 32 min Last Alliance sequence, the lost Buckland/Old Forest/Barrowdowns scene, the Nazgul/Gandalf @ weathertop scene, the Escape from Moria scene, the lost Arwen/Helms Deep scene, and a few others along with omitted RotK scenes) will be released with the Collector's Edition RotK EE DVD set (the one with the bookends) on the special features disc.

As it turns out, notice the Ent Draught scene in TTT:EE --the trees around merry and pip in the beginning of the scene look more like trees from a forest in the Shire ! =) But according to the other forums, there wont be any Goldberry, but rather Tom WAS supposed to lead them str8 to the Barrow Downs when they got lost.

Just thought u book fans (like me) might want to know =)

13. mrtoxic

mrtoxic New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Personally I really hope Ian Holm does it for consistensy's sake... he was great as Bilbo.

14. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm sure WETA could pull off a digital Ian Holm. hahahaha

15. Curufeanor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    hahahaha observer, lmao.

Seriously though, i think Ian Holm should come back, although he'd make Bilbo look kinda old (remember Bilbo was the same age as Frodo in LotR (50 years old), when he set out for Erebor.

Hey, i know:
    i look kinda like a hobbit--im short, my feet are hairy, and for the part i wont even need a wig = i could be Bilbo !! Vote me for Bilbo !!

16. mormegil

mormegil Art House Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    curufeanor, you got my hopes up when you were talking about the ROTK EE DVD having all of those extra scenes but when you mentioned tom bombadil it then made it sound like just rumors :(.
    i am a huge book fan but i love the films cause it brings characters and scenes i love to life and despite the discrepencies it was amazing seeing them on the big screen, cudos to PJ!

17. Curufeanor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    i just said they were possibilities, but when u see TTT:EE with Old Man Willow swallowing up Merry and Pip (in a sorta Shire-looking forest), it kinda makes u wonder if there WAS in fact an original sequence that went with the scene, cuz Old Man Willow seems just a little TOO out of place being in Fangorn Forest, dont u think?

and Treebeard quoting (closely but not exactly) Tom just seemed wierd...

But there was a buckland scene that was removed, and more to the Bree scene than we saw, as well as many scenes that never made the cut. So why waste all those scenes that we saw in the trailers but never saw even in the EE versions ? So its safe to say that they will probably include these sequences to the final EE film's special feature DVD. But who knows...

18. Curufeanor

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    So in other words keep ur hopes up, and maybe PJ will come through for the fans... sort of a last ditch effort to win over movie and book fans alike ! =)

19. mz-readaholic

mz-readaholic Use The Force

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    when it comes to lord of the rings i like both. but everything else i like the books better. movies never do justice to the books theyre based on. and it doesnt matter if i see the movie first or read the book, i always like the book better. except 4 holes and lord of the rings that is. they were good movies.

20. Sïalla

Sïalla New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Movie fan :D I usually also prefer the books, but LOTR is one of the rare cases where them made a really good job with the adaptation. I think even with the scenes that they changed from the books they did it well.
    Maybe it was because I saw the movies first, but for me the books don't really manage to bring the whole LOTR world to life so well as the movies.