Book Club Re-Opens

Discussion in 'General Books' started by LyannaWolfBlood, Jun 25, 2008.

1. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    The Fantasy Forum Book Club has officially re-opened. This time we're planning to widen our scope and discuss a wide range of books, rather than just fantasy. Books are nominated by members and each month we vote on our book of the month. New members are always welcome, so if anyone wants to join please PM Nienor and she'll let you in. If anyone has any questions feel free to PM me or use this thread to ask them.

2. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I'm just bumping this thread to say that the book club is being revived. Anyone is welcome to drop in and join us in the TFF Houses section.

3. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    So will the books be as I suggested; free PDFs/ebooks?

4. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    I think that's a good idea, assuming we can find enough free ebooks that people want to read. I'm no expert in this area though, so I'm not really aware how much is out there and would definitely need help from you guys to find stories.

5. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
  6. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    If relaunch is to work the threads need to be unlocked so everyone can see them... may even tempt some non-tff members to join too.

I quite often pop in briefly to tff, have a quick look around without even signing in unless I want to respond to something. The book club doesn't show up as you currently need to be signed in.

7. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I'm discussing getting access to a preview version of a book that I found very good (the preview version). I also have two fantasy stories, a Twilight-like story (same story, characters, ... but I find much better) and a 50-page story written by trazzberry01 (a member).

EDIT: Just got an email giving the go-ahead for the book. It's the new and improved preview version, and the idea of the book club was met with great enthusiasm by the author. The book (preview version) is very good, and the cut-out parts really weren't missed when I read it. It's basically like reading an abridged version of the story.
    Could this be the first book please Lyanna?

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  8. kircr

kircr New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi i have a ebook i have recently published on Kindle and was hoping some people with an eye for fantasy adventure would go a long and read my first few sample chapters. Any feed back good or bad is welcome :eek:)

9. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Just secured a few free copies of "The Time Traveller's Apprentice" for Kindle (There's a Kindle app for Mac, PC, iPod Touch, iPad and iPhone).

10. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Nice work in getting that, Druid :). We normally vote on which book to read but that looks a good option to me.

I know; I'm working on it but Nienor's not responding. It is definitely an issue that needs sorting out though.

11. WildPony

WildPony New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    There are also a bunch of books you can get from the free bean library. I'll get the precise web adress and maybe we can look through some of those as well. Just one thing, I can't use any of those kindle or Ipod books -- only pdf, txt, html, word. Sorry, I know this makes it complicated.

12. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I don't think that I can get it for too many people, but I basically need a few email addresses to send to the author, and the people'll get it as an Amazon gift.
    I'll post this in the TFF House Discussions.
    So please could I have 4 e-mail addresses to send to the author. (LWB? ~Elladan~? Wild Pony? WM?)

13. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    ^ I don't have a kindle so wouldn't be much use to me unless it was DRM-free (ie suitable for eBook format conversion)

Limited availability would also seem to run against the purpose of a book club which should be encouraging widest possible participation and sharing of views?

14. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    You can download a Kindle app here which allows you to read books in Kindle format on your PC. There's a Mac one too.

Limited availability is definitely an issue though. We can't choose a book unless everyone can access it.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  15. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Kindle does have several apps for free use so it can be used on more than just the kindle and the PC - however as far as I know all their stock on the Kindle store is sold with DRM to limit it to Kindle services. I also think that most items can only be used, at the same time (ie downloaded to) 3 devices at the same time - so you can't split a book between too many multiple services (I think though since I only use one device I might have slipped up a bit with those last specific details).

Regardless there is, linked above in my thread, several free book archives open for use without DRM limits so certainly access potential for some titles through the ebook format (or just basic text on a computer screen or even printouts). And lets not remember bookclub can still function with hardcopies of books as well.

16. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Yeah I know you can read it on your PC/laptop but not the same as a book or a reader (screen refresh does your eyes in!)

I reckon we should go for one of overread's links ~ perhaps a classic, I don't think we've done one of those have we? Should be readily available on eBook or at the library or whatever.

17. Overread

Ratings:
    +342 / 1 / -0
    Be good to get a few classics unearthed - not just the big ones, but some of the lesser spoken of titles. I think fantasy is one genre where its very easy for an author to disappear into if you don't hit it big.

18. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I was in the original versions of this, and would be interested again, but I probably won't have time for every single book, and despite my kindle hatred, I would welcome the idea of downloaded books to alleviate the drama of securing a copy of some titles.
    So I guess I am saying I will give it a go.

19. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    This book was only for a beginning. I'll ask the author how many books I can get. There are loads of free books as well.

@~Elladan~: The Kindle app is actually very nice to read on.

20. Sevi

Sevi Pocałunek!

Ratings:
    +100 / 0 / -0
    Can I join too? Should I send a PM to Nienor?