Book Club Nominations

Discussion in 'General Books' started by LyannaWolfBlood, Sep 7, 2011.

1. LyannaWolfBlood

LyannaWolfBlood Ella Dictadora

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    It's time for this month's book club nominations! This month, all nominated books must be available free online - OR and others have compiled a list of free ebooks here. Please post your nominations in this thread by Sunday, 11th September. All TFF members are welcome to join in :).

[Note to Mods: I'm posting this in the General Books section because some newer members cannot post in the Book Club House.]

2. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Hmmm I've no idea what to nominate - I'd make a general say and put my backing behind any fantasy author of lesser note (ie not Lovecroft or Howard) lurking in the "free" archives. I'd like to get a feel for some of the older fantasy that might well have been the spark/inspiration for much we read today, but which has gotten left by the wayside simply because it wasn't a top seller (and from what I can tell just add Tolkien to the two I mentioned already and you've pretty much got most of the fantasy authors of modern note from the older generations).

3. bloodfiredeath

bloodfiredeath Die by the Sword

Ratings:
    +92 / 0 / -0
    I just had a quick look, and find myself overwhelmed...but tend to agree with OR (but I am happy to read Lovecraft or Howard!! :p)
    There are a lot of excellent classics from Authors like Bram Stoker, Mary Shelley and so on in there that appeal to me, a bit of Gothic horror/suspense is always welcome.
    Probably need to spend hours in there looking to be honest.
    And I am always of the opinion that everyone needs to read Ray Bradbury works!! (Which sadly are not free).

4. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Suggestion: Start next month's nominations as well, so that we can order books ahead of time, and basically we'd be doing the voting for the month after while reading an entirely different book. This way, we can order cheaper, used copies from Amazon and have enough time to actually read the copies before they're due, if that makes any sense.

No nominations yet--still going through the free eBook sites, and I'm likely to buy a hard copy anyway.

5. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    "The Time Traveller's Apprentice" by Kelly Horrocks
    Another ten or so people can send me their email address and she can send a Kindle version to you (Kindle app for Mac, PC, iPhone, Android, iPad, iPod Touch), and the only condition that she's asked for is for you to:
    1. write a review on Amazon Review
    2. tell lots of people about it (who'd have to buy it of course)
    We're quite lucky to be getting this for free, and I've read this book, and found it very good!

6. ~Elladan~

~Elladan~ A Elbereth Gilthoniel

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Baen also offers free eBooks (mainly Sci-Fi & Fantasy)

http://baen.com/library/authors.asp

Since we seem to be lacking in actual titles recommended (other than Druid of Lûhn's suggestion) I'll suggest two, both by David Weber:

The first is fantasy, "Oath of Swords" (Bk 1 of his War Gods series)
    http://www.webscription.net/p-297-oath-of-swords.aspx (ignore the price, the download is free)

The second is sci-fi, "On Basilisk Station" (Bk 1 of his popular Honor Harrington series)
    http://www.webscription.net/p-304-on-basilisk-station.aspx (again ignore the price, the download is free)

I've read both of these, the Oath of Swords many years ago ~ my vague recollection is positive but then I thought the Shannara series was 'okay' then too. Having reread the Shannara books in the last few weeks I now think they're pretty sh## so no promises on Oath of Swords either!! The Honor Harrington series is quite enjoyable if you're into space battles and the like.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  7. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    My nomination is by a fantasy author I've heard impressive things about but never read - Lois McMaster Bujold's "The Warrior's Apprentice". This is the amazon.co.uk blurb:

The book can be found at http://www.webscription.net/s-13-lo...px?CategoryFilterID=1&ManufacturerFilterID=0&

I think this is a good idea - maybe the book with the second highest number of votes this month can be next month's book? What do the rest of you think?

8. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Sounds like a good idea to me

9. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    Seems reasonable.

I'll second the LWB's Bujold nomination too ~ I've read the complete Vorkosigan saga.

10. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Does this mean I can now nominate things that aren't necessarily ebooks? ;) Or should that wait until the month after?

(Second the Bujold rec btw. I've been seeing her name tossed out on the Westeros lit forums, and I'd like a chance to read her stuff--though I'm likely to buy the book rather than read it online, as my eyesight is terrible, and while writing/browsing internets haven't really given me raging headaches thus far, I suspect that staring at and reading an entire book will.

Either that, or I'm going to nominate The Little Prince, and hunt down and disembowel anyone who dislikes it even a little bit.)

ETA: I just saw your rep thingy, and I wouldn't have seen it unless I'd noticed that my user title was "Waiting for GoT" several months after the season finale, and went to go change it. >_> The Little Prince is AMAZING. I knew you had excellent taste. ;)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2011
  11. Anduil

Anduil New Member

Mekta land of dreams! you can find me in Pireaus
    Ratings:
    +11 / 0 / -0
    Question : when the first book is decided we have one month to read it right???

12. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    no idea what to nominate out of so many books, so I'll go with Druid's choice.

13. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    @ Anduil: Usually we spent about a week choosing the book (nominations in the first part of the week and voting in the second) and then spent the rest of the month reading.

Hmm... I'm not sure. I don't personally have an issue with buying books, but OTOH I don't want to exclude people who do have problems getting hold of the books. I think I'll open that one to the floor... opinions?

This is a excellent option too ;).

14. Overread

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    I would say run a few months with books which are free access to help get the numbers up and then branch out. Part of the problem is that when you hit books on the second hand market the US market has a big advantage over many others (they've simply far more stock).

15. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I can't see it ever working for long if we have to go out and find/buy a book every month or two. Especially seeing as I'm still a minor and depend on my parents for transport.
    I'll stick to ebooks.

16. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Most books are available as ebooks nowadays, so you could buy it as an ebook if you have a Kindle, etc. or order it online from Amazon and have it shipped to your house. If you're a student, you can get a year's worth of Amazon Prime for free, which gives you free 2 day shipping. Or there's also the library.

17. ~Elladan~

Ratings:
    +225 / 0 / -0
    More book nominations / participants needed if this is going to work...

18. WildPony

WildPony New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Sorry guys I couldn't post this weekend. Just want to say that please, I can't get access to many hard copy books too read. So if we could try and keep it to ebooks it would be great.

19. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    Just a reminder to any lurkers that we will be discussing Lois McMaster Bujold's "The Warrior's Apprentice" next month, so anyone interested can access it here.

20. LyannaWolfBlood

Ratings:
    +230 / 0 / -0
    It's time for another round of nominations. Please keep posting them in this thread as I don't want to clutter up General Books with too many Book Club threads. Also, I'd like to know if you want to keep going with free e-books or switch to allowing all books.

If we allow all books, this is my nomination: Ben Aaronovitch: Rivers of London. Review from The Wertzone