Blog fantasy serial

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EstuansInterius, Mar 12, 2009.

1. EstuansInterius

EstuansInterius Ira vehementi

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I've written 50 MSW pages of a sci-fi novella, and not a single person has read it. I have become a little apathetic about it, although it still has a place in my heart, and at one time, I lived for this story. This is mainly because I don't receive and criticism, encouragement, or anything. I can't blame people; I don't read much sci-fi myself. Still..

Anyway, I'm wanting to try a fantasy serial, and I think publishing it every once in a while on a blog for people such as yourselves to read would be an excellent idea to gain some readership and some community. I promise to return the favor to other authors on these forums (I'm sure you're there, and I've seen some of you). All I ask is for a little criticism. But if my story really isn't your thing, don't sweat it.

I'll start posting installments once I get five people who are interested to speak up I'll put them on blogspot.com I think.

I'll post the very boring preface here if you'd like to see what you're getting into. It's dull, but it does a decent job of introducing the universe. I can also outline my characters if you all would like.

My plan is to add something at least every week. Sometimes I might add large sections daily, but that won't happen unless I become more enthusiastic about the piece (and that'll probably only happen if you all become enthusiastic about it). An average of between 1 and 3 posts a week seems reasonable. Once things get going, 2 is probably most likely.

Oh, and by the way, this isn't fan fiction, but I didn't really know where to post this...

So... who would care to know more? I know it's unfair of me to ask such a question without providing any information, but I don't have the opportunity to post anything more right now.

2. ScreenXSurfer

ScreenXSurfer Better Than You

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I'll read it and help you with it, if you like.

3. EstuansInterius

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    Thank you :) If things go well, I'll begin posting in one to two weeks. I've still got a few things to work out, but I'm trying not to do too much planning in order to allow the story to grow from itself.

Edit: Ok, things are coming along. Here's a basic outline of how I'm going to structure it: Each chapter rotates between focusing on one of three protagonists. Each chapter will be composed of a varying number of posts. Each post should be at least two Microsoft Word pages, and I'll try to post twice a week. Four to ten pages would be reasonable expectation for each chapter.

The story is told in the first person omniscient ;) 'Cause I can do that in a fantasy universe. The narrator is only a minor character in the plot (I expect) and for the most part doesn't interact with the characters. Though each chapter will focus on one protagonist and they start out isolated, they'll later on come into contact.

I should have my first post up within a week.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2009
  4. Jingojolene

Jingojolene Wayfarer, heartlander

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I think it's important to write for the love of writing, and not for the readers - although I completely empathise with how apathetic having no criticism and no general response on the quality/content of your writing can make you.
    Nobody ever reads anything I write unless I forcefully pressgang them into reading it xD it can be annoying but I love writing too much to stop simply because nobody else wants to read what I enjoy creating.
    I think the help from ScreenXSurfer could really help keep you enthusiastic about the story because you can both critisize and help each other.
    I'd be glad to read and comment on your work, also :D Just let me know where to find it by messaging me or something because I'll likely forget - I'm quite scatterbrained :p

5. EstuansInterius

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    What's been happening actually is that I've gone back to the story that no-one reads XD I have gotten people to read parts of it. Anyway, that one is sci-fi, so, although I posted it here just in case, I don't know if I can expect you to be interested.

6. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +106 / 0 / -0
    Whatever you do, don't lose heart in your story. Even if not many people show interest, the few who do are enjoying it :D I'd like so read some myself.

7. EstuansInterius

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    After months, I've started writing it! My goal is weekly installments. Each installment should be about half a chapter, but some chapters will be three installments long, and some only one. So far, the prologue has been edited, expanded, and posted, and the first chapter has been completed and posted. The second chapter is now underway. School work means that I cannot always guarantee a post on time, but I'm aiming for one a week, and during breaks, I should be able to catch myself up if I ever get behind.

Also, the more people read it, the more I'm likely to post :)

You can view the story at...

storyofarthe.blogspot.com

I'd love feedback and criticism. As an author just starting out, that stuff is very important to me. I also acknowledge the fact that it'd be unfair for me to request it without offering it, so if anyone has anything they want me to read, go ahead and ask. I can't promise that I'll have time to read everything, but I can try.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2009