Biblical Old Testament Weapons

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Gûd Daedheloth, Dec 16, 2003.

1. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Not trying to start a religious debate here or anything, but what kind of swords would have been used by the Israelites around the time periods of Kings Saul or David? I'd always assumed something close to a one-handed or a bastard medieval style sword. I could definitely be wrong, though. Anyone care to enlighten me?

2. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Thats something I have always wondered myself Gud, I don't know if there have any found, I would assume that they were probebly somehting similar to the egyptian weapons, because of Isriael's long slavery there, the blacksmiths would have learned there trade from them and when the need for weapons came they probebly used the same designs with maybe a little variation. But I don't really know, I definetly do not think that they had medival type weapons. This is a good topic I am gonna do a search and then report whatever I find, see if I can find some artifacts.

3. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think they would have been one-handed weapons.

4. lordmaille

lordmaille Master of the Maille

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Short swords were used primarily. They would be made either of bronze, or iron.

5. Broknpotre

Broknpotre I know kung fu...

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    My personal favorite Old Testament weapon is the jawbone of an ass. Hehe. Samson was always the coolest judge anyway. Always reminded me of Conan.

6. Khamul

Khamul Roaming

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    I think spears would have been more common than swords, but I really don't know.

7. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Spears, clubs, and knives made of stone would be the primary weapons back then. Those who could afford it would have bronze armor and weapons. Goliath of Gath was described as having enormous weapons, including a spear that probably weighed 60 pounds! He was probably over ten feet tall though, so that is not entirely unreasonable. (there are two measurements for a cubit, one is 18, the other is 21. No one knows which is referring to Goliath when they say he measured 6 cubits and a span in height).

8. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    hmm, Tall guy.

9. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That's where fantasy started, right there! :D

10. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Bullcrap tilion, but yes ya'll are right bronze woulf be very prolific, but what I am wondering about is the designs, like somebody else said they would have been fairly short, because shield and spear were also weilded at the time, and because they might not have had the knowledge of tempering a blade so that it keeps it strength at longer lengths, I am gonna keep on searching for artifacts and I'' post any pics.

11. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Look up Robert Wadlow, 8 feet 11 inches tall when he died. would have grown taller but he died prematurely.

12. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Actually a cubit was the distance from someone's elbow to the tip of his middle finger, so of course there were large variations in the measuring systems.

Thanks for the weapon info, guys!

13. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I know. I've seen pictures of him. But the difference between 8 feet 11 and ten feet is quite a bit, a human body can't get that large. And even if it can he would have all sorts of health problems and not be able to do very much, let alone fight in a war (Wadlow death did have to do with his length; his length and large feet made it that he didn't have much feeling in them, he developed blisters before he could feel them and attracted an infection in one of them). Furthermore, the dead sea scrolls and the old greek version of the old testamant state 4 cubits and a span instead of the 6 cubits and a span most are familiar with. That comes down to less than seven feet. A giant ... nah. We just like tales with an underdog in it. It was however large in those times and he would have wielded weapons greater than normal people. Maybe a sword the size of a great twa handit swordis or a schlachterschwerd.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2003
  14. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Tilion I can give you biblical proof of Goliaths height but I am not gonna post it here, it is not the proper place PM if you would like to know what I am talking about.

I'm still searching for any pics, I'll post what I find.

15. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    First i'd like to see where you got the information the dead sea scrolls say 4 cubits, if they did then the errors would have been corrected long ago, but they haven't. Somebody probably just made that up, much like the made up verse in the Qu'ran which people claim predicted 9/11. (some made up verse saying an Eagle will come and cleanse the lands of Arabia, and the verse says Qu'ran, 9:11. The Qu'ran does have books like the Bible, so that's like saying Bible chapter 8 verse 12. so it is a pathetic fake in the first place).

Second, there is absolutley no biological reason you can't have a human that large. Maybe 30 - 40 feet might be unreasonable, but a 10 foot human at 500 or so pounds is not a biological impossibility. Robert Wadlow may have had a disease, but he isn't the only human to be over 8 feet tall. And as stated before, if it is referring to a cubit as being 18 inches in length, that would make him 9 feet 6 inches.

16. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    He killed 1000 Philistines too. That would be an awesome movie right there...

17. Gûd Daedheloth

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, and R-rated! Another cool judge was Shamgar, but he only killed 600 Philistines with an oxgoad. Doesn't quite beat Samson. :) Shamgar's story (as it is - only one verse) is in Judges 3, right after the great story of Ehud and King Eglon.

18. Elvenblademaster

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Don't forget David, what was it the people chanted and sung when he returned from battle, "saul has killed his thousands but david has killed his ten thousands." They might have been exagerating a little.

19. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would like to see proof of another human going beyond 9 feet without any physiological problems...

Last edited: Dec 25, 2003
  20. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    No matter what I put you won't accept it. Besides, maybe Goliath did have some physical problems.

But still, this is not a debate about how tall people are so PLEASE stop posting unless you have something to contribute to the topic at hand.

Search tags for this page
old testament bible weapons

old testament weapons

pictures of old testament weapons
weapons in the old testament
weapons in the old testiment

weapons of the old testament