better actor for frodo baggins

Discussion in 'Movies' started by RagnarRocker, Dec 4, 2003.

1. Nathan

Nathan Wielder of the Flame

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I couldn't remember exactly, I didn't bother to look. I'm lazy.

2. Glaurung

Glaurung Getting families together

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Elijah was not my first choice for this role. I too imagined Frodo as an older, more reserved and less emasculated character. It was not until now that I knew who I would wish too replace Woods. But I do think Fiennes would have been an interesting and perhaps excellent choice. The Master/Servant relationship would have become clearer to the wider audience, and I believe Fiennes could have delivered a grittier, more defiant performance than Elijah and his "Cat vomiting' face that he chose to use whenever the ring exercised control over him. PJ more than made up for his Casting of Frodo with Gandalf, Boromir, Merry and Pippin and Gimli. I enjoyed Bloom's Legolas but he was not close to my imagined one, and though I have great respect for Mortenson's performance I think he need to show more strength/confidence after fulfilling his destiny - to show that a real metamorphosis had occurred. I personally think his 'rousing' speech sounded thin and reedy compare to that of Theoden's prior to the ride of the Rohirrim.
    But that's just my two cents.

3. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Defiance. Exactly. That's the thing that often seems to be missing from Wood's performance. Frodo wasn't just a helpless victim relying on other people to protect him and fight for him.

4. Elvenblademaster

Elvenblademaster New Member

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    Ya your right, but a lot of that was because PJ always had people saving him. At amon sul weathertop in the book Frodo scared the WK away with "Elbereth El Gilothniel" and strider just set a couple of them on fire. Then at the crossing of the river, frodo road Glorfindels horse , he was not saved by Arwen. Strider did not save him from the troll, strider did not save him on the bridge. Strider did through himself of hundreds of UrukHai to save him either.Frodo was much more indepent in the books, he was fifty years old for goodness sakes.

5. The Archangel

The Archangel Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    aye, very true. wood made frodo into some sort of wide eyed kid, which was not what i pictured at all. i didnt picture a reserved english gentleman either though, more a sorta twenty five year old human, but a bit shorter.

6. Ranger_of_Gondor

Ranger_of_Gondor Gondorian Defender

Massachusets(The mostly Anti-Bush state. Hooray!)
    Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0
    I think PJ selcted the cast perfectly. And that was sorta how I pictured Frodo.

7. GondorianRanger

GondorianRanger Lord of Valathil

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    im with ranger_of_gondor (luv the name). i pictured frodo exactly like wood. Plus, you guys are making it sound like you were expecting frodo to be some kind of warrior. Hobbits are not warriors, they love the simple life, and dont care about weapons or wars. you guys have to remember, frodo is a hobbit, not to be confused with a human. At amon hen, it is exactly what happens, just in further detail. Frodo was being chased by uruk-hai. Aragorn was protecting frodo from them. The way they portreyed hobbits in the movie is exactly like they do in the books i think. Hobbits are vunerable, they are not used to battle, or rather the rest of middle-earth. So the bottom line is that the writers, and director, showed how hobbits really are, to me that is. The simplicity, the overall feel. Frodo took a huge risk in taking the ring to mordor, and i think that they showed how dangerous it was.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2004
  8. Glaurung

Glaurung Getting families together

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    No not a warrior, but remember hobbits were also a tenacious and stubborn folk at times. I think a young Sir Anthony Hopkins would have made a great Frodo - pity he was about 30 years too late for the rings films. But maybe not - can you imagine. "That Lobelia kept intruding, so I ate her liver with some Longbottom Lima beans and a nice dash of the Old Vinyard".

9. GondorianRanger

GondorianRanger Lord of Valathil

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    lol, nice. But im sure if the LOTR movies were made earlier, hopkins would have been a supurb casting choice for at least one character or another.

10. Lessien Seregon

Lessien Seregon Elven Princess Warrior

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    All of your points are very well brought forward, but another point to remember is that when PJ was casting he had to think about the chemistry and friendship between each character. I think it would be weird to see Fiennes play Frodo opposite Sean Astin. In Return of the King you see the true friendship between Frodo and Sam. I believe that Elijah Wood and Sean Astin portrayed that perfect friendship beautifully and I couldn't picture any other actors playing those roles.

11. Lessien Seregon

Lessien Seregon Elven Princess Warrior

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Those last few scenes in Return of the King really made me cry!

12. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Hmm. Good point. Now when you talk about it, I'm having difficulties imagining that too. But then again, if Fiennes would have been casted, Frodo would have been an entirely different character anyway and that would require that Sam would have been portrayed a tad differently too.

Anyways, I'm beginning to think that Fiennes is too good-looking to play a hobbit.

13. Midnight

Midnight New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fiennes's Frodo would be a lot more reserve as per book but I can't imagine Fiennes shedding a tear for Gandalf after the fellowship leaves moria...... stiff upper lip etc.

:)

14. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Actually, considering some of Fiennes' previous characters (Heathcliff in "Wuthering Heigths", the killer in "Red Dragon" etc...) Fiennes would be the one who pushes Gandalf in ;) :D [/sillyremark]

15. Midnight

Midnight New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    That has got me thinking of a different version of the film at the bridge.

Fiennes's Frodo : Gandalf, let me help you
    (runs to the edge as gandalf struggles to maintain grip with fingers .... weight of balrog tugging on his foot)
    Fienne's Frodo prise gandalfs fingers off the rock.
    Fiennes's Frodo: Thank you for saving us

;) ;)
    Totally different feel for the movie .... don't you think ??

16. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    Add a Schindler's List Nazi Officer accent you get a perfect Frodo :rolleyes: ;)

...and the ''Most Succesful Thread Hijacking'' award goes to... asap!!! :eek:;)

17. Case

Case Warg rider of the 4th age

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fiennes as Frodo? Yikes, I can't see that. He's too "brooding" to project the carefree fun Frodo early in the first film.

Of course, by ROTK, he might have been more suited.

IMHO, there isn't a single actor I would have replaced. Had Stuart Townsend remained as Aragorn, now that could have been scary.

I also heard a rumor that when Miramax still had the rights to LOTR, they were considering Sean Connery as Gandalf. Now THAT makes me shudder. Can you imagine:

"I am the shhhervant of the shhhhecret fire!"

18. Midnight

Midnight New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Fienne's Frodo with nazi officer accent ............ hahahaha, excellent! :)

19. curunir's bane

curunir's bane Kwisatch Haderach

Ratings:
    +14 / 0 / -0
    That's exactly what i was thinking.

20. Case

Case Warg rider of the 4th age

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Hehehehehe.....I like Connery, but thank goodness that rumor never became reality.