better actor for frodo baggins

Discussion in 'Movies' started by RagnarRocker, Dec 4, 2003.

1. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    after spending much time reading the silmarillion and the trilogy over and over and contemplating these beautiful and sad stories, i figure ralph feinnes would have been a much better choice for frodo

the rest of the hobbits were all well cast imo but frodo just seemed off, he was a gentleman in the books, not a kid, and if he was portrayed by an older man like feinnes it would have also made his master\servant relationship with sam seem a lot less gay

2. Nienor

Nienor Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Frodo was 50, but he had stopped aging at 33 when he first got the ring from Bilbo. And 33 for a hobbit is younger than 33 for a human. Elijah Woods looked about the right age to play Frodo.

3. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    respectfully, i couldn't disagree more

hobbitts might live a bit longer than humans but i don't see any references in the books to them aging more slowly, and the ring doesn't halt aging entirely

there is some talk of many hobbits experiencing a kind of extended childhood called their tweens during their 20's but that doesn't sound very different from what a lot of humans do even today

4. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    uhmmm, I kinda agree with nienor, Hobbits come of age when they are 33. I think it's pretty safe to assume that they age somewhat differently. If what you say it's true then indeed Jack Nicholson would be a better Frodo than Elijah wood.

5. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think Tolkien never really referred to Hobbits aging more slowly because it's kinda obvious due to the way he describes them and writes about them.

but hey, that's just our interpretation. everyone should feel free to have theirs.

6. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    well there's always the bonus that fiennes wouldn't have to fake an accent :)

but seriously

the impression i always got was the whole concept of a 'tweens' was cultural, and not based on dalayed hobbit maturity, but i could be wrong

i guess i see frodo as an indiana jones type, but more scholarly than action oriented

7. Mavurik

Mavurik New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I don't have the book to quote with me exactly but I do remember reading in the first few chapters or so that Frodo was "well-preserved" like Bilbo which doesn't imply halted aging, but does imply that he didn't look as old as he really was. Since Hobbits lived to old ages like 100, 120, etc. I can easily picture in my head a 50 year old Hobbit looking about the equivalent of a 35 year old human. Plus I think Frodo's possession of the ring does in fact halt his aging process, if I read correctly. Bilbo was over 100 but he didn't look it due to the effects of the ring. Frodo was 50 but in my mind I figured he looked much younger, perhaps around the age of 30. Elijah Woods as Frodo doesn't bother me becaause even before I saw the trailer for the first movie Elijah Woods looks almost 99% of what I pictured Frodo as looking.

8. Hermione

Hermione Silent Arrow of Legolas

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Why on Earth do you think anyone would be better than Elijah Wood he is the best actor there is and i think that Peter Jackson chose his cast very well.

9. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    I didn't picture Frodo that way, but I think Elijah does a great job and looks the part enough to suit me.

10. Isis

Isis New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i agree that the casting for frodo was good, but i have to plead ignorance and ask, who is ralph fiennes?

11. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    he was the killer in red dragon, and he was in the english patient.....all in all a superior choice, for a decent retelling of the story that is, but i guess elijah wood appeals to a preferred demographic

12. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    I agree with you completetly. I don't believe that a hobbit in his ''tweens'' can be compared with a human teenager.

Pippin was said to be one of Frodo's best friends and he was 27. Firstly, would an adult hobbit and a hobbit ''teenager'' really have enough common to be best friends? Doesn't sound very likely. Secondly, if a 27-year old hobbit has not reached maturity, than he is definetly not fit (both physically and mentally) for participating in the mission to destroy the ring. Pippin did quite well however.

Back to Frodo. ;)
    Ralph Fiennes as Frodo? That's a great suggestion. He could have given an excellent portrayal of Frodo - self-disciplined, intelligent, well-educated, a bit distant and reserved - the traditional English gentleman.

And welcome, RagnarRocker

13. Crack of Doom

Crack of Doom New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I think Tom Cruise would have been a great choice.

They wouldn't have had to do any forced perspective or body doubles then.....:D

14. RagnarRocker

RagnarRocker New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  15. Sabishii

Sabishii Sindarin

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Elijah Wood's not fat enough to be a hobbit!

16. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    what about oprah?

17. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    You're scaring me Finrod. I just got this hideous mental picture... *shudders*

18. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I'm sorry Lady. Maybe Oprah isn't such a good frodo after all.

hmmmm.....how about Galadriel?

19. Nathan

Nathan Wielder of the Flame

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I think Oprah's presence as Galadriel would certainly be felt.

And if anyone cares, I'd like to contribute to the thread though it's rather old. Someone mentioned Pippin's age. When Pippin goes to Minas Tirith, he feels much more comfortable in the company of Beregond's son than with Beregond (rather, as friendship goes). Beregond's son was nine, I think, and Pippin told his age but said he's more as a 12-year-old in human terms.

20. asap

asap New Member

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -0
    12? Nice try, Nathan ;p ;). But actually, yes, you're making a good point, he does say that he is ''still little more than a boy in the reckoning of my own people''. But than again, he's treated like an adult in Minas Tirith both by Denethor (I don't think D. would accept a boy as his liege) and by Beregond.