Best Writing Software?

Discussion in 'General Computers' started by Window Bar, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I have used Scrivener, and it looks amazing, but I just find the tutorial much too long, as it's a rather complicated program.

It does seem great however, for writing any kind of text, as well as organising it all. It also has a very nice set of interfaces (on mac).

2. gumboot

gumboot lorcutus.tolere

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

One thing that really bugs me about the windows version (not sure this plays out on Mac) is that when you compile a section of a manuscript, there's no way to assign the chapter numbering to take into account the rest of the manuscript.

To explain further, you use the numbering codes in the compile interface, but these are consecutive, beginning at the beginning of the compile selection; so the first instance of that number tag is ALWAYS "1". If you're compiling the entire manuscript that's fine, but if you're compiling a section it means your chapters will always commence with chapter 1. It's infuriating, because I want to be able to compile individual chapters into PDF to send to people who are giving me feedback, but I can't do it in Scrivener; I have to use Word. It is, in my opinion, a massive flaw in the software. This is one thing where new software often overlooks those nuances that a long-established program like word has worked out years and years ago. For example in word you can assign the page count to begin at any value you like (so for example for navigation I use a table of contents, but I don't want that first page to be part of the document when I print etc, so my page count begins at "0").

It seems an obvious thing that the number tag used in compile for Scrivener should allow for both "begin count from beginning of manuscript" and "begin count from beginning of compile".

3. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    I think that there's a way to do it (on mac). I finished reading the tutorial two days ago and have started a project in it.
    Compiling however is what scares me the most about the whole program. Too much stuff that changes without you seeing what (though you can preview it once the changes are done).

4. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    best writing software EVER

pen&paper pure and simple

5. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    That's hardware.

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. gumboot

gumboot lorcutus.tolere

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    As Druid pointed out it's hardware, but it's also terrible. It's totally non-transferable, cannot be manipulated, and extremely vulnerable.

7. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    lets try to not be a capt. obvious here :) guys

ok, do you think is non-transfable, here some technology news for you guys called e-paper, aka electronical paper, and I trully believe that it is future, some may be familiar with amazon kindle, which uses e-paper as its screen, and you can use same paper to write -> creating and electronic notebook, which works as any notebook, only it saves your work as pdf (in most cases, it uses special format which later can be coverted as pdf), and it`s all in your handwriting, and you can easly add notes and sketches etc :)

I believe that future depends on e-paper, and I really do like that concept, truth to be told, so far I have ordered only lcd based n

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  8. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    *cough* called e-ink *cough*

9. gumboot

gumboot lorcutus.tolere

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

You're talking about digital paper, not electronic paper.

Electronic paper, or electronic ink, is a display format such as used in the Kindle, and cannot be used to input data, but only to display it.

Digital paper is paper with a dot pattern printed on it which can be used in conjunction with a digital pen to record pen movements and convert them into digital files. While it certainly has some useful applications, there's very little future in it for serious writing, in my opinion. To begin with, handwriting recognition leaves a lot to be desired. My handwriting can vary enormously across a single long session of writing. Handwriting recognition software can't handle this. Really it should be called print-recognition software.

Secondly handwriting something so it can be converted into text is a total waste of time. Anyone with touch typing ability can write vastly faster than anyone could ever hand write. Not only would the actual entry take longer, but you'd then have to re-read the entire document to make sure there weren't any conversion mistakes.

Typing is, and always will be, better than handwriting.

10. anonymous

anonymous the king

Ratings:
    +115 / 2 / -3
    I will disagree, as in fact, I am currently studying not digital paper, but electronical ( at least in my country it is called so), idea is same as any touch screen, you have charged pen (usually negatively) and when it touches (kind of hard to explain in english) screen it leaves mark, which is input data :) :p you can write on modifed electronical paper (that basicly is positively charged sheet).

typing is not better, and for a fact, there are several handwriting recognition softwares, it is not better it just different :)

handwriting increase persons IQ, and abilities to react, it uses your brain, and it trains it, thats why people who may write (good and accurate) with both hands tend to get better mark is subjects such as math, physics etc.... :p while typing just ruins your hands, and eye-sight, if I had the resources (and amazon would be such a b**itch, and ship items (which I need) to my country, and would be using my digital/electronical notebook :) and would use it to write this text in my handwriting heheh, not sure if it would be so easy as with keyboard, but more fun and healty for sure

11. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Writing on an electronic device is worse than typing, as the surface is slippery, it also ruins your eyesight and you always write bigger on screens.

I like the good ol' pen-and-paper just as much as typing. The first because I make fewer mistakes (like typos) and prefer the feel of it. The latter because it is faster, and is very simple to edit what has been written.

But we digress. This thread is about writing software. You can start one about typing vs. handwriting in the debates board.

12. NBalchemist

NBalchemist New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Before I got my laptop, I used my dad's computer, which had MS Word 2000. My laptop came with MS Works, which I'm not fond of compared to Word 2000.

Now I'm thinking about getting 2000...

13. Nightfox

Nightfox Assassin

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    I use Open Office Writer and I would never change that. It's easy to use and you don't need to pay for it. Open Office is also able to convert/save files into other formats like .doc. I don't know, if Word can save into .odt, but I think, it can't.

14. Druid of Lûhn

Ratings:
    +64 / 0 / -0
    Since a while back you can use Google Docs (now called Google Drive) which is quite good, and Pages online will be coming soon, which looks pretty cool.

OpenOffice/LibreOffice is very good as a free option.

15. Firiath

Firiath Halfling barbarian

Ratings:
    +790 / 5 / -0
    I actually like working with MS Word (2010), but that's probably just because I'm used to it. For larger writing projects, however, I only use Scrivener. When I used it for the first time and it said the tutorial might take more than an hour, I felt a little overwhelmed at first, but it's actually not as complicated as it looks (although I'm sure I'm not making use of all the features you could use). I'm using it to write my thesis - or what one day might become a thesis. As it currently consists of bits and pieces Scrivener is just right to keep everything organised.

Sometimes, in the rare moments when I want to give creative writing another try, I use typwrittr.com, which is totally simplistic and wonderful for distraction-free writing in a relaxed atmosphere.

16. Milo A. S.

Milo A. S. Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I change platforms between phases of work. I found it to be the easiest way to work. Sounds confusing...
    MS Word (on PC platform) is probably the best option to bundle the story in the beginning and end. It gives the most options from design to link pictures. After all it has 15 years of advantage on any of the competition.
    BUT there are a lot of things that the competition has...

Google Docs is by far the fastest platform to run the story. You just tell your story to the computer and it writes it for you. It will work even with a thick accent like mine. I learned not to go and fix mistake while telling the story. There will be many mistakes (the program is not perfect) and trying to fix them will break the flow of work. In the end of the chapter there is plenty of time to fix anything that needs to be fixed.
    Great about the platform is it's understanding of the contexts. it will know to change between shit and sheet or feel and fill by the context.
    The biggest flow on that platform is that it doesn't place capital letter in the beginning of the phrase. (I fix it later on MS word).

Pages on Apple iPad is a great platform for adding long names and repeated information. The iPad has an option for shortcuts. So instead of typing long names again and again you just type the shortcut. Sometimes long names will repeat over the chapter many times.
    Example:
    instead of typing 'Daenerys of House Targaryen, the First of Her Name, Queen of Meereen .... Mother of Dragons' you only type 'doh' and the iPad will fill the full name.

In the end, for editing i go back to MS word.
    After all it has a lot to give that other platforms still don't have in them.

Hope it helps... :confused:

17. Richard Falken

Richard Falken The Best Epic Literature Ever Written.

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0
    It is incredible how often the subject of text processors pops up.

I am old-school so I use vi or vim for writing the manuscripts.

LibreOffice is good for organizing the documents that are designed to go to the press, at least when they are not overly complex. It supports the usual bells and whistles. You can organize styles and header classes and automated indexes and so on with LibreOffice. It also supports dynamic header and feet generation, links and multiple file formats suitable for press. This is also the software I use for sending technical reports for printing.

When working with electronic formats such as epub, html or xhtml, I code those formats manually using vi or vim. I use Sigil as an epub validator and the w3c online validators for html and xhtml code.