Best & worst

Discussion in 'The Sword of Truth' started by clouded_perception, Apr 6, 2007.

1. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    What is, in your opinion, the best or worst book in SoT and why?

My fave is Faith of the Fallen, no competition. My least favourite is probably the Pillars of Creation (90% of it had nothing to do with Richard and Kahlan!)

2. Eleriel

Eleriel Internet Dragon Slayer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    My favorite was Temple of the Winds, although I really have no reason for it being my favorite. My least favorite... ah, that one's pretty difficult to decide. It would have to be a tie with the Pillars of Creation for the same reason you stated, or Chainfire.

3. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Yeah, Chainfire wasn't the best... Phantom was pretty good, though. I just love the idea that Richard is a captive in Jagang's camp and Jagang doesn't even know.

4. Eleriel

Eleriel Internet Dragon Slayer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Phantom was good, but just sort of different from the others. I can't really explain it, heh.

5. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    I'd have to go back and re-read, but I think Faith of the Fallen is probably my favorite also.

There's no question though, my least favorite is Soul of the Fire. Read like smut and didn't even have a good story.

The chimes had a lot of potential, but Goodkind ruins it by focusing on some stupid little village where everyone acts like they live on the Showtime network at 3 a.m.

Mathius

6. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Oh, yeah, that society did suck.Realistically a system like that wouldn't last more than a couple of generations without unrest.

I actually liked Wizard's First Rule... if you ignore the huge pile of cliches that constitutes a beginning and keeps popping up through most of the story (The bad guy is the good guy's father... COME ON), the torture, and the scene where Darken Rahl eats a child's genitals. Good, apart from that.

7. Mathius

Mathius Member

Ratings:
    +31 / 2 / -0
    Terry Goodkind seems to have a very dark and possibly perverted nature. I can get passed that for the most part. I saw that in the first book, and as an individual, I'm ok with reading it and it doesn't effect the story for me. To a certain extent it adds to the evil of his characters.

But Soul of the Fire was over the top. Every person, every individual was focused on sex, or some other perversion.

Kahlan was made to sound like some sex-crazed nymphomaniac.

Also, I had to ask myself if all of the characters in this book aside from the main ones that have continued in the series were mentally retarded. I mean seriously, how old were these kids supposed to be in this novel? They were old enough to be put in the army, but some of the ideas they had were just something you'd expect from someone with a 6 year old mindset.

I honestly have to say that if Faith of the Fallen wasn't as good as it was to bring me back into the fold, I think Soul of the Fire would have made me put his series down for good.

Mathius

8. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    He does seem to have a sex fixation, doesn't he? There was Denna and Drefan in WFR, those damn Sisters of the Dark in Stone of Tears, that incestuous general with a nipple fixation in Blood of the Fold... the list goes on.

What gets me is how, in SotF, that Haken kid gets all the way to the Wizard's Keep and back again without dying, despite being a moron.

9. Kakashi17

Kakashi17 New Member

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    The best books in the series are 1,2,6 and 8 the first one being the best of the best. The worst books are 4,5, and 7. The thing about this series is when the books are good, you cant put 'em down. But the amazing thing is some of the books are so awful I can't beleive its the same series. And I hope goodkind can end the series well b/c frankly this all seems to be getting a little rediculus (that thing thats hunting richard, and 6, and jajangs neverending army) And for the love of god have a battle againt the IO with richard leading it! If Goodkind thinks he can do this series without richard being in the midst of the epic battle l am going to burn all of my books.

10. Blackness

Blackness Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    I just started reading Wizard's First Rule and all i can say is brilliant :D if other books are like this than i'll hzave to read 'em all :D

11. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Blackness, a lot of them are equally good if you're willing to sit through a couple of shockers. I actually liked WFR a lot, despite being an enormous pile of cliches.

Kakashi, my theory is that he's been trying to meet some tough deadlines, and that's why a couple suck.

12. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    After reading Eragon, i lost my feeling for cliches :p

13. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Haven't read eragon... I've been warned against it, most strongly.

14. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
    Don't read it... It's just like a massive mountain of cliches bundled up in a book...

15. clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    But if I don't read it I won't have the right to bitch about it!

Ah well, there are plenty of things to bitch about...

16. Blackness

Ratings:
    +145 / 0 / -0
  17. Kristof

Kristof New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    /me dusts off the covers of this one. Hmm... 10 months. For shame.

Personally, I will have to say that the best books of the series is a toss up between Stone of Tears, Faith of the Fallen, and Chainfire. The last one was odd, but the scene with Cara and Richard did it for me. She is the single pillar that his entire world rests on in that book, and most of the series... and to see him nearly lose her and the depths that he would go to to keep her was moving.

As for the worst... Probably Soul of the Fire or Pillars of Creation... they were just so hard to get through.