Best/worst/weirdest casting

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by Anakin, Jun 29, 2018.

1. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,116 / 3 / -0
    This also applies to television. I’ll start with what I think is great but also really weird casting. Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan Kenobi. Just from looking at ‘Trainspotting’ Lucas decided to pick an actor who’s a skinny, a skinhead, drug-addicted a$$hole in the film. But somehow he concluded “That’s my Obi-Wan Kenobi!”. Huh? What was he smoking? But he was right. He was perfect to play the character. Talking about ‘Trainspotting’, you have Robert Carlyle playing Begbie, a loud-mouth stealing idiotic scumbag with a Napoleon-Complex who they cast as Rumplestilskin for ‘Once Upon a Time’. To be fair he’s a great actor imo who’s underrated.

• Winner Winner x 1
  2. Padmé

Padmé King in the North & King Anakin's Wench

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    McGregor as Kenobi was madness when we first heard about it. Everyone in Scotland knew him but he felt like a local lad. I know some people who worked with him before he was famous, so to hear he was going to play Kenobi was just weird.... BUT it turned out to be excellent! He was the perfect man for the role. I think the only other man up for consideration was Kenneth Branagh, who would also have been good, but was just a little bit too old. Same thing happened with DiCaprio as Anakin, was just a bit too old to play opposite Portman.

The weirdest casting I can think of never happened... which is Nicholas Cage in Tim Burton's Superman. We've seen the photos but damn.... I actually wanted that film. It would've been so mad. "Not the Krypto-Bees!"

Tim also had weird ideas for where he wanted Batman to go back in the 90s. Wanting to have Batman Forever be about a much older Batman played by Clint Eastwood! More madness, but I kinda like that kind of nonsense lol I'm sad we never saw them.

3. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2
    Best casting would be the very first Star Wars movie. The original cast had a kind of magic that happens only once in a great while. I daresay the movie would've been near unwatchable if not for that mostly unknown cast of actors. A perfect ensemble!

Worst casting... every last movie that brain-dead, ridiculously overrated actress, Cameron Diaz has been in! But also, Keanu Reeves in that Dracula movie... that comes a close second.

My favorite unexpected, or perhaps just a bit weird casting choice goes to Guy Pearce in, Memento. A strange movie that needed just such an actor in the lead role. One of my all time favorite movies.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +644 / 3 / -1
    Best - Sigourney Weaver. Esp in her early roles such as the Alien films. To my eye she was the tough woman who wasn't eyecandy. Which, let me be clear, doesn't mean she hasn't got beauty, but that she wasn't a "page 3/playboy" type gal. She had personality and strength and even faults and rose to fit the role very well (even in the 4th film where it seriously stretched things).

Worst - Orlando Bloom in a lead role. He's a decent actor and he does a detached elf really well, but he's not a lead. He lacks any gravity to his characters. They don't pull you in and make you think he's a leader or the focus; instead he feels like a sidekick personality.
    (ok worst is overstetching it there are way worse I just can't think of them).

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,116 / 3 / -0
    Lol I do think Orlando Bloom was overrated in the times of the Lord of the Rings and Pirates films. His acting voice imo is also silly. He uses this husky voice to sound more “edgy”, while in reality he has quite a high pitched voice. Also I have to agree on Keanu Reeve’s casting in Dracula. I really like the film and I like him, but his accent was terrible.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    My sister was obsessed with that film when it came out. She was about 16 and I was 8. She shouldn't have been showing me it at all but she did, and even at 8 I couldn't stop laughing at Keanu. She nearly threw me out of her room because I was offending her :D

Also agreed with Orlando Bloom. That's another train I just never felt inclined to hop on. All my friends loved him but I never got it. He's very average, and that's being kind.

Oh another classic; Sean Connery in The Untouchables. I love old Seany Boy, but damn.... the man cannot do an Irish accent to save himself :D He was still great, I mean it's Connery after all. The death scene always got me, but his accent was just atrocious. Proving once and for all that Irish and Scots cannot naturally imitate each other's accents because they're 'close enough' lol Actually he was Peter Jackson's original choice for Gandalf! Sean didn't have a clue what the script was about so declined :D Would've been interesting though. Gandalf certainly would've had more of an edge to him.

Brilliant/ inspired casting: Gary Oldman (in anything) in JFK. His portrayal of Lee Harvey Oswald is amazing. And from terrible accents to brilliant ones, Gary absolutely nailed the American/ Russian hint of Oswald's accent. Just spot on. But I love Gary in everything, to be fair.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2
    Gary Oldman is an actor's actor. There are precious few actors that can go from Sid Vicious to Rosencrantz to Beethoven and still have a long career in the business.
    Would've loved to have seen Sean Connery as Gandalf!

My old man spoke Gutter Scots, or Gutter Glasgow if you're so inclined. Not on bit like an Irishman.:D

When I was growing up and had friends over, my dad would say something to them and I could tell they were only picking up every third word or so, and just dumbly smiling at him. Later they'd say, "Sorry, but I couldn't understand what your dad was saying". I told them that they should stick around and see what happens when he gets pissed at me. He sounded like an angry Viking who had a penchant for rolling his r's.:eek:

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    I actually got rid of my rolling r's :D When I was about 10 or 11 I heard a video of myself and was mortified by how, well, Scottish I sounded! lol So I sorted it out. And that's why to this day everyone thinks I sound either Irish or American (not to Americans, just to Scots who don't know any better lol). Got it constantly in school. "Where are you from?".... "Five minutes down the road!".... "Yeah but where are you parents from then?".... "Glasgow!".... "Have you ever lived abroad?".... "No!".... Although the latter response is changed, everyone assumes it's because I moved to Belgium but it was happening a decade before that :rolleyes:

Oh another Scottish actor I need to shame on the 'can't do the Irish' department is Gerard Butler in P.S. I Love You. The film was cringy anyway but jeez.... was waiting for him to click his heels and do the full 'top of the morning to ya!'. Dreadful lol

For best casting, can we say Arnold Schwarzenegger as The Terminator? He was just bloody born for that role. Poor Lance Henriksen though lol He was originally intended to be The Terminator but ended up being '2nd cop' at the police station. Would've been interesting seeing him as the terminator, it certainly would've changed the dynamic of the film. You'd see him and Reece hunting down Sarah, not knowing what either of them were up to, and only at the moment in the nightclub when they both find her would it become clear one was there to kill her and one to save her. The original concept was that the terminator could blend in, be anybody, but with Arnold, there was no pretending :D You knew this giant Austrian man-tank was not there for a picnic.

Another 'what could have been' casting was James Cameron's original idea for the T-1000 which was to have Michael Biehn (Kyle Reece) return and play him, so he would've been the evil terminator hunting them down. You can still see evidence of this in the special edition where there are scenes of Sarah dreaming that Reece is talking to her in her cell. That was going to result with her seeing 'Kyle' again like in her dreams, but then realize it's actually Arnold who is there to save her. Would've also changed the tone of the film as you would have Sarah running from and trying to kill 'her love', and John's 'father' trying to kill him. A really interesting idea but they decided to go with Robert Patrick, who was great in the role, but I love the idea of 'evil Kyle Reece' just a little bit more.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Overread

Ratings:
    +644 / 3 / -1
    Arny has a lot of charisma as an actor so even when he's "just another muscle character" he actually takes to the role very powerfully. He's a bit like Patrick Steward in that you can almost always instantly recognise him as being the actor and yet at the same time that never gets in the way of the role he is playing.

Some other actors blend into the background so much that you don't really ever notices them for who they are; whilst others stand out so much like a sore thumb (I'd say Jonny Depp manages to do that a lot in all the Pirates films save for the first one - then again that's mostly because my impression is that after the first film the writing team didn't actually know what the heck to do with him so sort of left him on set dancing around like a drunken fool the whole time.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    lol well I think they let Johnny pretty much take control of the role of Jack Sparrow after the surprising success of the first film. Famously the producer Jerry Bruckheimer tried to have Johnny fired from the film when he saw what he was doing with the character. He thought he was destroying the film, but after the rave reviews I'm sure he quickly realized the almost mistake he made lol So likely that had something to do with them letting Johnny do what he wanted, within reason.

Another surprisingly good casting decision was of John Travolta in Pulp Fiction. I can remember hearing my brothers discussing this film before it was released, I was maybe 8 or 9, and neither of them could understand why Travolta was in it. BUT turns out it was a great decision. He was fantastic as Vega and it promptly kick started his career. Though I still think his best work is in the 80s film Blow Out.

Actually I could add Samuel L Jackson from Pulp Fiction as well. He owns every scene he's in.

11. Sparrow

Ratings:
    +335 / 3 / -2
    I can't roll my r's to save my life. I do however put on a great Scottish accent when I have enough drink in me.

Most people don't realize that the old Scottish accent, the more guttural hardcore highland speak, is fast dying out. It's been a long spell since I've visited Scotland, and I imagine it's all but gone now. Folks watched Braveheart and actually think that's how highlanders spoke back then. If the movie were made true to form, it would've had to be subtitled.:)

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    Yeah real Highlander talk requires translation. I can remember as a kid whenever we would stay around Loch Ness, which was always June-July, and I'd go into shops or pubs and you'd hear the locals talking.... I'd have trouble deciphering if it was English or Gaelic. Normally it was something in between lol If you go to the islands you'll still hear some of the old accents. Likely because they're more cut off from everyone else.

Although I think some Scottish accents from Glasgow or rough Edinburgh require some translation as well lol I was reminded of this recently when I rewatched Trainspotting on Netflix to find..... it had been dubbed! Same actors, still Scottish accents but they were speaking clearer. I had no idea about this. I know that in the US they released it with subtitles because no one knew what the hell they were saying lol But I never knew about this. Looked it up and sure enough, they dubbed it as well! So I'm a bit annoyed it's some crappy version on Netflix. Will need to get the dvd out to hear the proper version.

13. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,116 / 3 / -0
    If you don’t mind you two I’d like to go back on topic.:p
    Weird casting goes also for Michael Keaton as Batman. The studios were baffled that Burton wanted to cast the same actor who played Beetlejuice as Batman. But in the end he’s still my favourite Batman. Fans complain about trivial things like Batman doesn’t kill and then say Christian Bale doesn’t kill as Batman. What about Ra’s Al Ghul?
    Okay, he didn’t directly kill him, but he could have easily saved him, but he doesn’t.

14. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    Actually I know another weird casting. I was watching The Butler with Forest Whitaker a few weeks ago, plenty of odd cameos like Robin Williams as Dwight D Eisenhower, John Cusack as Nixon, but the weirdest was Alan Rickman as Ronald Reagan.... colour me baffled! :confused:

15. Overread

Ratings:
    +644 / 3 / -1
    Oh here's another Jeremy Brett as Sherlock Holmes in the ITV adaptation that ran for the entire published series. Not only is the reproduction very faithful to the original stories (I started reading them and was surprised at how close they stuck to the original plot lines); but Jeremy really captures the character of Holmes and makes most others (esp a lot of the "alternate*" Holmes series) pale in comparison.

David Burke and in the latter series Edward Hardwick as Dr. John H. Watson both also rose to those roles very well.

The trio certainly capture and encompass "Holmes and Watson" to me

*I find many of them simply act as a very smug, and bombastic personality who often does odd things as he "thinks and deduces" whilst the true Holmes never did "odd" things but very sensible things that were simply not done "at the time"**.

** Remembering that he's fictional and that actually most of what Holmes did was already being done by the police of that time. At least the bigger, well funded police units.

16. Keyser Sushi

Keyser Sushi Verbal Carp

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    Okay, here's a few of mine: Every role in the original "Jurassic Park" was miscast. Seriously. Every. Single. One.

If you haven't read the book, let me just say -- Alan Grant was supposed to be a big stocky beardy guy who was very outdoorsy. Y'know, a regular paleontologist. Ellie Saddler was a grad student, early 20's. The old man who runs the park was a nasty old guy, more Donald Sutherland than the Aloha Santa Claus we got. Didn't give a crap about his grandkids. The two kids...the ages were reversed, Timmy was older than Alex, in the book, not the other way 'round. And although I love Jeff Goldblum, Ian Malcolm was really not as dynamic a personality in the book. He was just a weird little genius who wore a lot of black and was sort of a git.

Evidently I'm the only one here who thought Ewan was perfect for Obi-Wan the moment I heard he was cast? LOL. I remember I hadn't seen Trainspotting previously, so I went and saw it and I thought, "yep, that guy's gonna kill it," and he did. Obi was always my favorite character in SW, the reluctant, penitent old monk who's trying to clean up the disastrous mess he made. Seeing Ewan in Trainspotting, and how he played that kind of tortured character it clicked for me immediately. Is that weird?

17. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Top Poster Of Month

Ratings:
    +3,116 / 3 / -0
    No, you’re not the only one luckily. The casting was weird, but still perfect. Why can’t it be both?

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    Eh no? I think he was perfect casting as well. The reason I thought it was unusual is because I'm Scottish and he was known as a local lad around the area I grew up. So to hear a local guy was cast as Obi-Wan Kenobi in the new Star Wars movies was indeed weird. Especially since Ewan was most known for playing the junkie Renton in Trainspotting at that time. The leap from that to Obi-Wan was unbelievable, but he was perfect casting, just we didn't know that back when we heard the news in 1996-1997.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Keyser Sushi

Keyser Sushi Verbal Carp

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    It most assuredly CAN be. I just never thought it was weird.

No, I got that. I’m saying it made perfect sense to me in 1996-97.

20. Padmé

Ratings:
    +2,707 / 0 / -1
    Fair enough, just very strange given most people outside of the UK were going 'who the hell is Ewan McGregor?' when he was cast. Can remember it well. And even Scottish people were equally baffled because he was only known for Trainspotting and a few smaller films that hadn't made it out of the UK before his career blew up.