best weapon in a battle?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by Greyjoy, Feb 25, 2005.

?

which weapon

1. a short handed blade

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. an axe

7 vote(s)
    13.0%
  3. a bow and arrows

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. spear

6 vote(s)
    11.1%
  5. an iron maiden

2 vote(s)
    3.7%
  6. samurai sword

16 vote(s)
    29.6%
  7. daggers

3 vote(s)
    5.6%
  8. helmet with sharp point on it and shield with also a sharp point on it!

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Fox

Fox New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I said Ninja Sword, not Samurai Sword. What's a ninja sword? It's shorter than a samurai katana, and a little longer than a wakazashi. Whether you think it was invented by Hollywood or not, THEY EXIST NOW, and are quite usable.

Samurai only carried around 2 blades I'm pretty sure. Katana and Wakazashi. Tanto was kept for ceremonial acts like seppuku, I don't think they actually carried that on them.

Oh, btw I was reading a few weeks ago that some generations of ninja actually used full size samurai blades. :rolleyes:

2. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Ninja-ken is the name for a ninja sword which is shorter than the Katana, but longer than a wakazashi, like Turambar said...so they did exist before Hollywood...

I'd also say it would be reasonable to assume that ninjas would make use of the tanto, a)because it will've been cheaper than say a Katana, and ninjas were typically poor, and b)it's a lighweight, concealable weapon...perfect for a spy or assassin. Whichever you believe to be true of the ninja.

3. Meteorain

Meteorain Magical & Mystical

Ratings:
    +150 / 0 / -0
    Im pretty sure a blacksmith wouldn't know he's selling a katana to a ninja. Also who's to say a Ninja will not just steal a katana if he has lsot his own weapon. They are trained in being able to use them (or any weapon or object to kill for that matter), so its not impossible. I also do believe that I probably did mistake the Ninja-ken (ninja-to) for the Katana, so you are most probably right in that aspect. Although it was not unheard of for a ninja to have used a katana.

As for Samurai sword Numbers, they do carry their tanto with them, you just see the main too. Sometimes they even carry an even longer version of the Katana, called the Masamune. Although I am not totally sure again on this. Also the Tanto can be carried instead of a Wakizashi to complete the daisho.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2006
  4. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    These polls are always open to such huge interpretation, and argument. The weapons for any battle depend on who you're fighting, what they're using, and what they're wearing.

Fighting with daggers against full sized weapons will get you killed.

Longsword is anything but slow and can generate massive power. It can also be used with great precision. They ain't slow and clumsy.

Spear is the mainstay of just about every pre-firearm army that ever existed so it must have had some good points methinks.

Axes are easily blocked by hiding behind a wall, tree, or a rhinoceros. If you tried blocking a full swing from a proper war axe with a sword or a shield, you'd be dead.

Samurai sword is to be used in very specific ways, hence the rigorous drilling and training. I've seen katana blades bent sideways from poor cutting technique. Anime have made them out to be the best sword in all of creation. In reality, they're just one of many very good sword designs, depending on the application.

Bow and arrow are hard to use, but that's why it's fun :)

5. Kakashi

Kakashi The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +306 / 0 / -0
    very good points mububban. :D

6. Running Wolf

Running Wolf Join the Madness

Ratings:
    +231 / 0 / -0
    Samurai sword, a Katana. Nice weapon I really love it.

7. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    hmmm...

Well, the Japanese always were a bit ambiguous about what's a Katana and what's a Wakizashi. You've got sho-katanas which are shorter then dai-wakizashi... I think a Katana is defined by a hilt that stretches 3 hands - whereas a Wakizashi has a hilt stretching about a hand-and-a-half. Because the wakizashi is meant to be a one-handed sword, it's a bit shorter (although it can be wielded as a 2-hander).

As to Samurai carrying around 3 swords... it's sure that a "set" comes in three: Katana; Wakizashi; Tanto. A tanto is a knife about half the size of a Wakizashi. I am, however, not sure whether it is in the standard kit of the Samurai.

The Wakizashi was traditionally carried "always" - except whilst asleep maybe. As soon as a Samurai would go outside, he'd equip his Katana. From that moment on, this is is main weapon. Wakizashi would serve as backup. Dual-wielding has been rarely reported. The set of two swords is known as "daisho" (long-short)

About Ninjas carrying Swords... read this Wikipedia entry

8. Fox

Fox New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    I've already read it.

Most of what you say is accurate, though I read somewhere that Musashi Miyamoto had a style using both blades at once. Of course, it's always hard to say what did and didn't ever happen, as there is always the individual who chooses his own ways. Even in Japan, where tradition was very strong.

9. OrcShaman

OrcShaman Star Trek addict

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Actually, about the samurai swords, there were two "sets" (?) , depending on the situation the warrior was in: the combination katana/wakizashi was used usually when the samurai was on foot, both weapons being held in the obi. The tachi/tanto combo was used when mounted, with the tachi hanging from the obi pretty much as an european cavalry sword, instead of being put through it, as the katana was.

About the ninjas, there wasn't such a thing as a special ninaja sword. Like all the non-samurai citizens, they were forbid to have/carry swords, that's probably why they used such a great variety of non-conventional weapons (kama, manrikigusari, nunchaku, etc). Also, the fact that, when they could get one, they would of used a short sword was due to the fact that most of their fight took place in tight quarters. Actually, at least in the warring states period (that's what i've red more about :D), when many samurai became ronin (some of them even became farmers), the wakizashi became very popular amongst those pauper warriors, because many of them couldn't afford a katana.

EDIT: sorry for the chaotic text and bad english, but it's 3:06 AM here and i find it hard to think:)

10. Anduril

Anduril Flame of the West

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    That's very true about a "ninja" sword. And it's also worth noting that historians are divided on whether or not there were special ninja "guilds" like the movies portray.

And you can duel wield. The katana can be used with one hand or with two.

11. Richard Rahl

Richard Rahl New Member

Ratings:
    +21 / 0 / -0
    Perfect time to be in "da club" :D

12. OrcShaman

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    Here's some ninja facts:

- they were not uber-OMFG-pwnzor-warriors that could of held theyr breath underwater for 5 days and could of hide in a 10 cm bush;

-many japanese clans had their own ninjas, some of them recruted from the ranks of the samurai

-there were places, like the province of Iga, where independent ninja families existed (allthough some attempts to destroy them were made)

-the ninja were not just assasins, they were also used as spies or for propaganda porpuses (somewhat like a secret service)

-for instance, the famous Hattori Hanzo (http://www.samurai-archives.com/hanzo.html) was in the service of the Tokugawa clan. Also, Tokugawa Yeiasu used Iga ninjas as undercover bodyguards (they were allaround his castle, as gardeners, cooks, stable servants)

-NO, PIRATES ARE NOT THE ARCH ENEMIES OF THE NINJAS. If you believe that you deserve to be tar-and-feathered then covered in banana jello and thrown into a cage filled with hungry chimps!!!!!!!

13. Soul of white blood

Soul of white blood Moon guardian

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Samurai sword of course, great slashing weapon it cuts everythign you want if good :p

14. Axiron Stormholder

Axiron Stormholder The mouse that killed Tom

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    Samurai sword

15. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Not having a weapon and shield combo in this poll was a serious oversight if we're meant to take this poll seriously. An iron maiden? Sheesh....

I voted axe. A big 2 handed axe as tall as the wielder. Huge leverage, huge cutting power, feared and respected in the hands of a skilled user.

Samurai swords are a great weapon, but don't go thinking they can cut through anything. Everything has its limits. Read the thread "Myths of the Katana" for some good information and myth debunking.

16. OrcShaman

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0
    I really can't decide : iron maiden or spiked helmet?
    Imagine the distruction:)

17. Lady Athena

Lady Athena Art House Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    I have better dexterity with swords!! :devilbat:

18. Yehir

Yehir Wise Fool

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0
    I'd choose a bow. I'd have to be good enough not to let anyone get too close, otherwise...

19. remsfan

remsfan Nightrunner

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    An axe!!!

20. Matthias_Thulmann

Matthias_Thulmann Archmage of the Elves

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Bow and arrows stay away form death and kill foes hehe