Best weapon/armour?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by wanderingmagus, Nov 9, 2009.

1. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    If gunpowder/electricity/etc stopped working and someone needed the best armour and weapons available, what medieval weapons and armours would be the best? and this would be for long-term, general protection. Thanks!

2. Onimech

Onimech New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    That seriously depends on who or what you are fighting and how many.

Are we talking armored opponents, unarmored, single, few dozen, animals, long range, medium range, urban environment, wilderness, and that would depend on open wilderness, mountainous, deep forested,

Certain weapons that are perfect for one on one combat are not very useful in open melee at all, and things that are great for fighting humans are not too great when trying to defend oneself from animals. While some things are decent for both but are not quite as good as specialized weapons.

So I think what you need to consider first is your height, build, skills, what area you would stay in, or go to, would you stick to human combat or do you hunt or venture into more wild dangerous areas, or are you seriously just looking for
    ?

3. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Yeah that's pretty much impossible to answer as there are so many variables :) Also, the "best" armour and weapons were always evolving, based on who was using them, and who they were fighting against.

4. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    So if i was a couple inches under six feet, willing to train myself, and living in a lightly forested rural area with risk of both wild animals and bad people, what would be the best all-around general non-gun related weapon and armour? I say non-gun because guns aren't legal where i am, but swords, spears, etc happen to be legal.

5. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    What weapons do the bad people have? Cross/bows? Or just melee weapons, ie swords, axes etc?

I'm assuming you and they are on foot, not mounted?

6. SuperToad

SuperToad New Member

Ratings:
    +38 / 0 / -0
    I'd have to say if you're in a forested or rural area, you'd want a short weapon, non projectile. so maybe a flanged mace or short sword.

7. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    For weaponry, a sword and small shield/buckler, supplemented with a dagger/hunting knife can be lightweight, not big and bulky, but still offer good hand to hand offence and defence.
    An impact weapon like a mace is also viable against both animals and people. Axes too.

I would think a bow would be very good in a wooded area, good for hunting game and picking off people who haven't noticed you yet. Killing a long way away is always preferable to killing up close. Up close, the chances increase dramatically of you being the one getting killed :D

Armour - cooler weather allows padding which is surprisingly effective. Mail is kinda heavy and jingles a bit too so sneaking stealthily through the forest becomes much harder.
    Padding and leather would be a good compromise between weight, noise, movement and protection.
    Anything rigid ie plate or hardened leather ups your protection, but reduces your movement somewhat (depending on the chosen pieces). I have seen a guy in full plate from head to toe do a cartwheel, but he sounded like a collapsing ironworks while he did it so again, stealth is out :D Might not be the best for uneven terrain either. And it's a bitch to get i and out of without help so if you're on your own, very difficult to suit up.

Man, there are so many variables it really is "pick your favourite flavour"

8. wanderingmagus

Ratings:
    +248 / 1 / -0
    Thanks for the detailed info, people. really appreciate it!

Mububban- by the way, what type of "padding" aside from leather would we appropriate? cotton? and yes, less noticable armour would be better, as well as good mobility without compromising effectiveness of the armour.

also, transportation will probably be by foot, although enemies may be using just about anything to attack.

9. Mububban

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Yeah, think quilting material and that's a good start. Wool or cotton, natural fibres. Sandwiched in between thick cotton or linen or even thin leather.

Actually the Faramir / Gondorian ranger getup is kinda what I'm thinking. But thicker/stronger leather armour than what he's wearing. Faramir's jerkin is gorgeous but also very thin. Looks great but would offer minimal protection.

And a bow is always a winner :)

Attached Files:

10. Hellspite

Hellspite Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Interesting mental exercise. I agree that terrain is a factor, as well as whom you expect to face. Let me throw in one more consideration: is there a time factor? If not, well, I favor armed to the teeth. I think a spear is a great all-around weapon -- stabbing, cutting (depending on blade design), the handle can function as a staff. Add some sort of missile weapon, and a hand weapon or two, and you're good to go.

If there's a time factor, as in I have nothing and need a weapon soon, that changes things. The amount of time would determine what I use, from immediate (club or stick, and some rocks for throwing, maybe a fist load) to a day or two (sling, spear, bundle bow).

As for armor, that's harder to answer, since I haven't really worked with any, but the padded armor mentioned previously might be the easiest to acquire.

11. Zane Fireflyte

Zane Fireflyte The Persistant Cat Wizard

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Glamdring, hidden blades, a good jack-of-all-trades knife, a retractable staff, and a Moonknight suit enlaced with mithril.

12. inkworknow

inkworknow Writer, dreamer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I would agree with Mububban. Bows are the best supplement, I think, and a hunting knife or dagger would be pretty essential as well. Both allow the same sort of speed/distance as guns would.

13. psychotick

psychotick New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hi,

Isn't there a type of padded jacket with chain mail included in it? If so that would be my choice. Warm, quiet, able to withstand the scratches of twigs etc, and maybe able to stop an arrow. We already know that fullplate wasn't, that was why the longbow became such an important medieval weapon, and the weight would be a nightmare on foot and in a wooded area. For a second weapon for close in work my thought would be a quarterstaff, maybe with steel ends. It has longer reach then a sword and twice the attacks. A good solid sword strike might break it, but the angle and force would have to be just about perfect. And it makes a good walking stick, useful in rough areas.

Cheers.