Best 'functional' blade for the money?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Doombringer, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I own both of these swords.

The sword of war is no lightweight, but it feels very reasonable for the size and length of the blade. It's not some quick, whimpy type blade which many sword companies make, this here is a Man's sword. It's light enough to be swung single handed, but probably for only one or two strokes before you find yourself slowing down.

The 2121 is one of Del-Tin's most popular blades. It's like a smaller version of the Sword of War. Do not expect a feather weight though, I think mine personally weighs a bit more than the quoted 2.5 pounds. You have to expect that with hand made weapons. But mine is an excellent weapon, perhaps one of my favorites out of all the swords I own.

What I personally like about Del-Tin swords is that you feel you can truely do some damage with these swords, they tend to be historical in weight rather than trying to get a really close point of balance to make it easier on the bearer. The biggest complaint I have heard is about the viking line, those swords they said are heavier than most viking type, but they are probably extremely sturdy.

Scabbards are priced by whoever makes them. I make my own wooden leather covered scabbards, so it's cheap for me. About 5 in fact. Some were for swords I already sold, but I have two remaining.

2. Turgon883

Turgon883 New Member

Ratings:
    +27 / 0 / -0
    Thanks for all the information!
    Right now I'm leaning towards the Sword of War. Mainly because the two non-funtional swords I have are about that size. Hence I would then have a similar functional blade. That's cool you make your own scabbards! I found out Albion does sell scabbards but they are either custom ($500) or Campaign scabbards for Albion Mark swords ($225). Both are out of my price range for right now. I'll probably get the sword (when I get enough money), and then look into a scabbard later...By the way, I heard it mentioned somewhere that the Sword of War "sags" when held horizontally. Is this good, bad, or normal?

Thanks Again!

3. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    It's expected for a sword with nearly a 40 inch blade to sag when held with the flat of the blade pointing up and down. It does, but not much. If anyone has seen the Ulrich sword in person, that blade REALLY sags under it's own weight.

But the Sword of War has a very stiff solid blade, and is not at all "whippy" when swung. I've found I had to repeen mine, which is not a difficult task at all. If you get one, and there's some minor creaks and looseness in it, it can easily be fixed. Del Tin solid wood handles either shrink or expand slightly when in a different atmosphere, and it's pretty common with his swords.

4. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    I know a good website for a swordsmith, he works on the isle of skye, just northwest of scotland, if you can afford shipping he does some great hand crafted swords, mostly in the traditional manner. He does custom stuff too, pretty much anything you design. He made a replica of the master sword from the zelda series.

All the swords he makes are sharp functional etc. Made just like they used to.

Am i allowed to give a link? i know theres some BBB restriciton on links or something.

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Don't post here in the public forums, PM any such links to the recipient. Cheers

6. Crusader

Crusader Disturber of the Peace

Ratings:
    +91 / 0 / -0
    Thought as much, well if anyone wants to know the website, just PM me.

7. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    So wait, there's a rule against custom swordsmiths? People have linked to Odinsblades a bunch of times.

8. Bobert

Bobert New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Heyas,

Ok, first time poster here, but I thought I may be able ta help out a bit on the topic at hand. I have worked for Paul Desbro for 3 years in the past - he owns and operates several Starfire booths at various Ren Faires across the US. They are made from 1095 high carbon spring steel and temerped and hardened. The claymore I have has gone through many sparring events with hardly a scratch on it. A bit MORE information regarding this is that Legacy Forge (Paul Desbro selling Starfire) will start offering polished and sharpened Starfire blades as well as the normal ones. They also can do custon things to the blades such as engravings and handlework.
    Second, Badger blades offer a well made one of a kind sword. I have known Badger for about 15 years - since before he started working directly for Shane of Skycastle. Becasue all of his swords are individually designed and made, do not look forward to an up-to-date website from him. He simply put, doesn't have the time to maintain one. If he isn't in the shop making them, he's travelling around selling them. He uses 1075 High Carbon spring steel tempered and treated. The two I use from his shop have held up under much stress and use. Although he still has not got the hang of polishing without harming the integrity of the treated steel. If you are planning on using his blades I strongly suggest purchasing the blackened blades over the polished. This is not saying that the polished blades fo not preform well, it's just stating that out of the two choices, the blackened ones preform better.
    Thirdly, I was wondering if anyone here could verify something I had heard a little while back. Fulvio Del Tin retired about 3 years ago and handed the shop over to his son. Now the Del Tin line is made by using a stock removal process instead of the forging technique resulting in a lesser quality blade. Anyone else hear of that?
    Lastly as far as bang for the buck on blades goes - Has anyone here been to the market in Oaxaca Mexico? I have heard about the smiths down there and am anxious to go and check it out first hand. I have played with and admired some of the Oaxaca blades I have come across in the past. From what I understand, a german two hander with a lightning criss design can sell for about $800- US down there easily.

Hope all this helps. And if anyone has any questions, feel free to shout em out. I'll be around...

-Robert Lizak-

9. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I was using a Paul Chen Practical Knightly all day at a battle reenactment yesterday, and it never let me down. It's light, well-balanced, durable and cheap! What else do you want??? :)

Some of the others had his Practical Viking, which were early models, and had problems with the pommels and tangs.

10. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    I know this question was aked a while ago, but both are wrong. Fulvio is still in charge of Del Tin Armi Antiche (I have communicated with him many times, some about weapon ideas) and that have ALWAYS used stock removal method. I own several of his swords that are at least 20 years old and they were made using stock removal.

Their blades are actually stronger than the older ones due to the introduction of a small amount of chromium in the blade.