Best 'functional' blade for the money?

Discussion in 'General Weapons & Armour' started by Doombringer, Jan 8, 2004.

1. Doombringer

Doombringer The End of All Things

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey guys.

I'm looking to get a functional sword and would like to get one of the best blades I can get.

I don't want to spend more than $300. I know that limits me somewhat, but I figure that if I don't put a cap on it somewhere I'll wind up getting a $3,000 Conan sword ;)

Any recommendations? If you know of a great 'functional' sword that is a bargain for its price, let me know. Heck, just your thoughts on what is the best functional sword period are welcome :)

I'm considering the CAS Iberia 'Mercenary' to replace a Pakistani replica 'Mercenary' in my collection, but that's only a consideration.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2004
  2. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Re: Best 'functiona' blade for the money?

you should consider a atrim. www.allsaintsblades.com

granted, they look a little plain, but these are the best production swords available and they happen to be near (somewhat above) your price range too. trust me, these are the very best money can buy and I know there are a lot of other guys here who can back me up on that.

3. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    The style of the sword will also change the price dramatically. If you don't want to spend more than $300, then I think Paul Chen or Windlass is the only way to go. Angus Trim swords are excellent weapons, but they do cost a bit more than $300.

Del Tin swords are also around the $300 or slightly more range, I'd suggest looking at some, especially the Albion Del Tin brand.

Windlass has every type of sword imaginable. Paul Chen has fewer in their medieval line, but are just as good. If $300 is your max, I'd suggest windlass. Very few of their swords cross the $300 threshold.

If you like viking weapons, I'd suggest Paul Chen's Godfred sword. www.viking-shield.com is a great place to get one, he'll match the price of any legitimate website out there. They aren't the strongest swords out there according to some reports, but only in cases of abuse have I heard of them breaking. Pool noodles and such should be fine.

And then there's this place. http://forums.swordforum.com/forumdisplay.php?forumid=41

This is the SwordForum classifieds. A lot of people get great stuff there. I just bought a Del Tin two hander for about $200. I'd suggest searching around there for a while.

4. Orkin

Orkin The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

$300 is a good price-point for a sword. There's a lot more functional blades than at $200.

5. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Actually, i was thinking $300 is kind of a sticky pricepoint. of course the more you can spend, the better, but $300 is not quite enough for some of the higher type blades (Albion, Atrim, Del Tin), and more than you need for a Windlass or Paul Chen blade. If you can afford a bit more, I'd suggest the Del Tin/Albion/Atrim line. But if $300 is the maximum, then you have Paul Chen/Windlass.

6. Doombringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Yeah, I might raise that to $500, but that will push my purchase time back a bit.

Angus Trim seems like a great choice. I have a few Windlass pieces and yes, they are nice. I was also able to pick up the Godfred for about half its retail price - and yes, it is a great sword ;)

I haven't really settled on an Angus Trim design that I like. I'll have to think about it more... and I'll have plenty of time to do it, too. I want to get more LotR pieces first.

I really like http://www.allsaintsblades.com/images/at1547.1.jpg and http://www.allsaintsblades.com/images/at1533.2.jpg ... not TOO much over my price point. ;) I also love the hilt and guard design on http://www.allsaintsblades.com/images/M.jpg but it's listed as a "Studio M Batch Blade" and is on discount at $200. They're not Angus Trim, he's just selling them... but they're still nice.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2004
  7. Tawnos

Tawnos New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  8. zul

zul New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I plan on buying a Paul Chen PPK (practical plus katana) and maybe PPW (wakizashi version). Both fo them together will be about $400. Just a month or so before i order!! :D

9. Doombringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Heh! Starfire... yeah, they're mostly stage swords. Really good swords from what I've seen at local renfaires.

And Badger Blades... I was THIS close to buying one at a KC renfest one year. They had problems running my credit card (they called it in via cellular, on an actual phone) and it wouldn't process. I almost had one of their bastard swords, but I guess it wasn't meant to be :/

And now, with their new site, they still don't have their ordering stuff online. Oh well. Maybe someday.

Right now I'm scrambling to get a Windlass Celtic Long Sword. I love the design and missed two chances to get it. They discontinued it, so I'm trying to find it online :/

10. Doombringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
  11. Justice

Justice New Member

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I own the Type D Hilt. It's a wonderful sword, weighs less than 2 pounds, and is an unbelievable cutter (it's the sharpest sword I own!)

And if $500 is your new limit, may I make a suggestion?

http://www.albionarmorers.com/swords/albion/medieval/crecy.htm

The Atrim swords you posted seems to suggest you want a two hander. There are Albion retailers who sell them for a bit less. www.medieval-weaponry.com sells them for $500. I own an oxblood blued hilt one like the photo at the bottom.

12. Doombringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Thanks for the suggestion... the Crecy is a nice blade.

I think my main reason for specing out the Atrim blades was to vary my collection. Grab the Albion I really like (Type D) and an Atrim I really like (one of those I mentioned).

I've also thought of getting a custom blade from Odinblades, but I need to come up with a design first. Heck, I am even giving considerable thought to Albion's Conan sword. All in all, it looks like I'll be spending a lot more money than I first thought ;)

13. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Does anyone know this sword by Paul Chen and is it a good one? It's available in both high carbon and folded steel.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2004
  14. Doombringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Well, I'd say it would be pretty-darn-good because it is a Paul Chen. I have his Godfred and it is nice, and I've heard good things about his other swords.

They're not on par with say... Albion, but still really good.

I like the grip, and the blade looks like it would be light with that fuller. How much is it going for?

15. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

190.00 English pounds on that site.

Suggested retail American:: $310 normal $795 for the folded one.

Looking through several websites I've seen it going for $300 and $600, but that's no good for me since I'm in Europe. I wonder if it would still be strong with a deep long fuller like that. Can't imagine it wouldn't make a sword of good quality less lethal; it's going to be faster. Not that it matters much since I won't be taking on another sword. Nice for noodle cutting maybe.

Edit: what type is this anyway? The blade seems to me to be a typical XI style...

16. Doombringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

hmm. Suggested retail is always high (American at least). The UC swords go for like $300 to $350 a piece suggested retail. Retailers usually wind up charging about $100 to $150 less than that... but I don't know about the Chen line.

I got his Godfred for $250 and it retails for about $450 to $500.

190 pounds for the sword there isn't bad.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2004
  17. Tilion

Tilion Was never a

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

No, 190 english pounds. And that's without shipping to the Netherlands :(. I hate not living in the US (where swords are cheaper :) ).

18. finrod

finrod Born to woe.

Trapped in my own dungeon together with a smelly h
    Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

ain't that the truth. most lotr swords here in the Netherlands cost about 420 Dollars (350 euro). I want to live in the US!!!!!!

19. Doombringer

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Alright, now I'm leaning towards this AT...

It's an overall design I really like.

http://www.allsaintsblades.com/images/at1562.3.jpg

That Crecy from Albion is also quite nice. Mmm. As is the Migration D.

I can't get both right now... hrm. Well, I have the Chen Godfred as a great "viking" sword, I guess I Could hold off on the Migration D. That would narrow me down to the Crecy or the AT "Lady Carmen" ...

20. moondancer

moondancer New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I was looking online for my first functional sword and came
    across the warrior series: Katana with 1075 high carbon.
    Does anyone own/know of this sword?
    Would you recommend this sword,
    say over a CF or allsaintsblade? (I was planning on
    buying from them, before finding the katana.)

Thanks for your input.