Best fantasy movie quote?

Discussion in 'General Movies' started by wanderingmagus, Nov 8, 2009.

?

What do you think about fantasy movies?

1. They're better than books

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. They're about as good as books

13 vote(s)
    24.1%
  3. They're not as good as books

39 vote(s)
    72.2%
  4. I have no opinion whatsoever

4 vote(s)
    7.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Daenerys

Daenerys Blood of the Dragon

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0
    All of these are excellent picks

2. KaptariMind

KaptariMind Argonaut

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    From the beloved classic, Krull:

"I am Ergo the magnificent. Short in stature, tall in power, narrow of purpose and wide of vision. And I do not travel with peasants and beggars. Goodbye!"

;)

3. hatchet13

hatchet13 The Nasty Tusken

In the middle of the Dune Sea - Tatooine or Austra
    Ratings:
    +29 / 1 / -0
    I know Star Wars aint really fantasy but it kinda is so here is some words of wisdom from Master Yoda ......“Fear is the path to the dark side. Fear leads to anger. Anger leads to hate. Hate leads to suffering.”

4. Anakin

Anakin King of TFF

Ratings:
    +3,120 / 3 / -0
    ...Oh yes it is lol

5. MatthewThomasJones

MatthewThomasJones New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Good choice! One of the best quotes in all Sword & Sorcery...

6. MatthewThomasJones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I agree completely. Star Wars follows the classic course of a "Sword & Sorcery" film.

7. MatthewThomasJones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some of my favorite fantasy film quotations from Conan the Barbarian:

"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Aryas there was an age undreamed of ... and unto this, Conan, destined to bear the jeweled crown of Aquilonia upon a troubled brow. It is I, his chronlicler, who alone can tell thee of his saga. Let me tell you of the days of high adventure." (This was excerpted directly from RE Howard's introduction to 'The Thing in the Crypt' which was dramatized when Conan discovers the Sword of Crom...)

In the original story, the Prologue goes like this:

"Know, O Prince, that between the years when the oceans drank Atlantis and the gleaming cities, and the years of the rise of the Sons of Aryas, there was an Age undreamed of, when shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars - Nemedia, Ophir, Brythunia, Hyperborea, Zamora with its dark-haired women and towers of spider-haunted mystery, Zingara with its chivalry, Koth that bordered on the pastoral lands of Shem, Sygia with its shadow-guarded tombs, Hyrkania whose riders wore steel and silk and gold. But the proudest kingdom of the world was Aquilonia, reigning supreme in the dreaming west. Hither came Conan the Cimmerian, black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to read the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet."

Here's the famous father-son chat...

"Fire and wind come from the sky, from the gods of the sky, but Crom is your god, Crom and he lives in the earth. Once giants lived in the earth, Conan, and, in the darkness of chaos, they fooled Crom, and they took from him the enigma of steel. Crom was angered and he was shook. Fire and wind struck down these giants, and they threw their bodies into the waters. But in their rage, the gods forgot the secret of steel and left it on the battlefield. And we who found it are just men, not gods, not giants, just men. The secret of steel has always carried with it a mystery. You must learn its riddle Conan, you must learn its discipline. For no one, no one in this world can you trust, not men, not women, not beasts [holds up sword]... this you can trust."

This was already mentioned... but it's one of my favorites too, so...

Response to the question "What is best in life?"

"To crush your enemies, to see them driven before you , and to hear the lamentation of their women!"

THE SEXY WITCH:

"There is warmth and fire. Do you not wish to warm yourself by my fire."

SUBATAI:

"Give me food for strength when the wolves come. Let me die not in huger, but in combat."

We can't forget the incredible line by KING OSRIC (who resembles the beset King Hrothgar of Beowulf):

"There comes a time, a thief, when the jewels cease to sparkle, when the gold loses its luster, when the throneroom becomes a prison, and all that is left is a father's love for his child."

A GREAT LINE FROM THE MILIUS' DIRECTOR'S CUT:

"I remember days like this when my father took me to the forest and I ate wild blueberries more than 20 years ago. I was just a boy of 4 or 5. The leaves were so dark and green then, the grass smelled sweet with the spring winds. 20 years of pitiless combat! No rest, no sleep like other men! Yet the spring wind blows Subatai."

Subatai's Response: "For us there is no spring, just the wind that smells fresh before the storm."

FINALLY, Conan's famous prayer:

"Crom, I have never prayed to you before. i have no tongue for it. No one, not even you will remember if we were good men or bad, hy we fought and why we died. No, all that matters is that two stood against many, that's what's important. Battle pleases you Crom, so grant me one request, grant me revenge. And if you do not listen, then the hell with you!"

The movie is a cause for groaning among self-proclaimed Howard scholars, but it should be noted that there's nothing in it that can't be connected back to the source material...

8. MatthewThomasJones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Some favorites from John Boorman's Excalibur (1981):

Merlin: "Behold, the sword of poer, Excalibur. Forged when the world was young, and bird and beast and flower were one with man and death was but a dream..."

URYENS KNIGHTS ARTHUR:

"In the name of God, Saint Michael and Saint George... I give you the right to bear arms and the power to meet justice."

ARTHUR (upon breaking Excalibur):

"My pride broke it. My rage broke it. This excellent knight who fought with fairness and grace was meant to win. I used Excalibur to change that verdict. I have lost for all time the ancient sword of my father whose power was menat to unite all men not to serve the vanity of a single man. I am nothing..."

MERLIN TO MORGANA:

"th days of our kind are numbered. The one God comes to drive out the many Gods. The spirits of wood and stream grow silent. It's the way of things. Yes. It's a time for men and their ways."

MERLIN TO ARTHUR:

"I can tell you nothing more. My days are ended. The Gods of once are gone forever. It's a time for men. [...] This is the moment that you must face at last to be king alone."

9. MatthewThomasJones

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I really enjoy the "Once Upon A Time..." effect of fantasy movies. Here's a great quote from the opening of The Sword and the Sorcerer (1982):

"Know you now of days long past, time when the world was young, when sorcery thrived and wild adventure was forever in the offing."

10. ML Hamilton

ML Hamilton ML Hamilton

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "Hello. My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."

11. NinjaMaster 42

NinjaMaster 42 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "You best start believing in ghost stories, Miss Turner. Your in one!"

One of the best lines i've ever heard!

12. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
  13. kilordyn

kilordyn New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "You asked me once why I married your mother. I married her because I loved her".

14. Druid of Lûhn

Druid of Lûhn The Little Lamb.

Ratings:
    +74 / 0 / -0
    "Do not meddle in the affairs of Wizards, for they are subtle and quick to anger."

"What, the affairs have feelings?"

*smack*

15. atomic elf

atomic elf Atomic Elf

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "FOUL TASTING FAIRY!!!" sees jack "Come to Meg, juicy boy."

... meg mucklebones

16. Fantasyjunkie5

Fantasyjunkie5 New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    "I do not envy the headache you will have when you awaken, but relax and sleep tight and dream of large women" - The Princess Bride

17. Black Tattoo

Black Tattoo The Corruptor

Ratings:
    +107 / 0 / -0
    I know its more of a horror movie than typical fantasy but one of my favorite quotes of all time, and something I find speak to my own perspective on the world, is from "30 Days of Night".

"When man meets a force he can't destroy, he destroys himself. What a plague you are." ~ Marlowe (speaking in Vampire language)

18. wanderingmagus

wanderingmagus King Anakin's Royal Advisor, Constantly Around :D

Ratings:
    +635 / 1 / -1
    Mark my words - this drill will open a hole in the universe, and that hole will be a path for those behind us! The dreams of those who've fallen...the hopes of those who'll follow...those two sets of dreams weave together in a double helix drilling a path towards tomorrow! And that's Tengen Toppa! That's Gurren Lagann!! My drill is the drill THAT CREATES THE HEAVENS!!!

-Simon (TTGL)

19. jchris

jchris New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    The "What is best in life?" dialogue from Conan is hands down the best.

20. Mikel-kun

Mikel-kun New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I love TTGL, the quotes from this anime are the best I've ever heard.

"My name is Kvothe, pronounced nearly the same as "quothe." Names are important as they tell you a great deal about a person. I've had more names than anyone has a right to. The Adem call me Maedre. Which, depending on how it's spoken, can mean The Flame, The Thunder, or The Broken Tree.

'The Flame' is obvious if you've ever seen me. I have red hair, bright. If I had been born a couple of hundred years ago I would probably have been burned as a demon. I keep it short but it's unruly. When left to its own devices, it sticks up and makes me look as if I have been set afire.

'The Thunder' I attribute to a strong baritone and a great deal of stage training at an early age.

I've never thought of 'The Broken Tree' as very significant. Although in retrospect, I suppose it could be considered at least partially prophetic.

My first mentor called me E'lir because I was clever and I knew it. My first real lover called me Dulator because she liked the sound of it. I have been called Shadicar, Lightfinger, and Six-String. I have been called Kvothe the Bloodless, Kvothe the Arcane, and Kvothe Kingkiller. I have earned those names. Bought and paid for them.

But I was brought up as Kvothe. My father once told me it meant 'to know.'

I have, of course, been called many other things. Most of them uncouth, although very few were unearned.

I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

You may have heard of me."

Kvothe, The Name of the Wind

The best quote from this book in my opinion

Search tags for this page

best fantasy movie quotes

fantasy film quotes

fantasy movie quotes

qoutes from fantasy movies

quotes from fantasy movies

subatai quotes