Best Arthurian Adaptation

Discussion in 'Medieval Boards' started by Lady_of_Shalott, Sep 14, 2003.

1. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    What is, in your opinion, the best adpatation of the story of King Arthur?

I like "Idylls of the King" by Alfred Tennyson and Gerald Morris's five books about King Arthur. (Has anyone read those? It seems no one has, which is sad because they are great. Very heroic and humorous at the same time.)

2. Gûd Daedheloth

Gûd Daedheloth Foe of Morgoth's Realm

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Monty Python, by far.

Seriously, my fave movie adaption has to be Merlin. That was great, even though it wasn't very close to the original storyline.

3. doleniel

doleniel Elven High Priestess

surrounded by idiots with no hope of escape
    Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0
    Monty Python, for humour.

I also like Mists of Avalon and the Chronicles of Guinevere. The Chronicles are not all out yet, but they are good. The are written by Alice Borchardt (sp). She is Anne Rice's sister, but they are nothing like the vampire books.

Edit: oops, the titles of the books are (so far) The Dragon Queen and The Raven Warrior.

4. Starknight

Starknight New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Excalibur! by Gil Kane and John Jakes is by far my favorite telling of the legend of King Arthur.

I also loved Excalibur, the movie directed by John Boorman.

The Mists of Avalon and Merlin also stand out as being VERY good versions of the legend.

One more I might mention is The Hallowed Isle series by Diana L. Paxson. I only read Book one: The Book of the Sword, but it was very interesting and I want to finish reading the other books someday.

I have the Dragon Queen but need to read it. Also I have copies of Le Morte D'Arthur and The Once and Future King, but need to read them.

Didn't care much for Monty Python. It had it's moments, but overall I wasn't as good as everyone told me it was. Sorry.

5. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    :eek:

6. mithrandir

mithrandir Gentleman Scholar

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Sir Thomas Malory's "Le Morte d'Arthur". Good in that it seems to cover so much more ground than some other adaptations do. Bad in that in can read like a history book in some spots.

"Idylls of the King" runs a close second.

7. darkdragon

darkdragon The Black Prince

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Merlin is a great movie. Had to buy it when it came out. Also had to buy Excalibur. The combination between Arthur and merlin in my opinion was unbeatable. As for Merlin, Sam Neal played one of the best parts of his career as far as I am concerned. Merlin topped my list...:ybounce:

8. swampfaye

swampfaye Collector of sidekicks

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Excallibur the movie follows the legend very well, fits in "Morte d'Arthur" and "Sword in the Stone" all in one. Mists of Avalon has to be the most overrated Arthurian legend book I have ever read...

9. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0

I would definitely agree with that. I thought it was awful, but some people rave about it like it's the best book ever.
    :rolleyes:

10. Kakashi

Kakashi Call me Deacon Blues

Ratings:
    +737 / 7 / -2
    My favorite had to be Merlin it showed background to the story that is ussally only told.

11. Urambo Tauro

Urambo Tauro Art House Member

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    It's also good.... in that it can read like a history book in some spots! :D

I also enjoyed T.H. White's "The Once and Future King", along with "The Book of Merlyn". Unfortunately, I read White before I read Malory. If anyone here has not read either, I highly recommend reading Malory first.

12. Blackwing

Blackwing New Member

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    I seem to be a complete heretic because I like most the Prince Valiant comicbook. It manages to not be completely misogynistic like all of the earlier versions. Also, I happen to like the Knights more than King Arthur himself who is usually quite a colourless person.

13. Confessor

Confessor New Member

Ratings:
    +180 / 0 / -0
    The Mists of Avalon was good. I also enjoyed the movie King Arthur.

14. Eva Divine

Eva Divine Oracle of Divinity

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0
    I can say Excalibur (1981) is the best in my openion..of course its not only about King Arthur himself but its the same soup ;)

15. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    I much prefer the historic views (and NOT the movie 'King Arthur' "facts", which in fact are not very plausible at all....very entertaining, though).

Jack Whyte's series "A Dream of Eagles" is not only my all-time favorite series, topping off anything else I've EVER read, and better than anything I'll ever read, I'll bet. He is an archaeologist who uses REAL FACTS and weaves his tale in a world that WOULD have existed in that time period. Everything he writes is really based off historical fact (and not like the movie....). They are extremely entertaining, and also have loads of historical facts and information in them. As I'm a student of anthropology and archaeology, to say I appreciate his books is a vast understatement.

If you haven't read Jack Whyte's books, READ THEM!!!! You won't regret it :D

edit: I thought I should add a bit about the storyline....

The first two books, "The Skystone" and "The Singing Sword" are told in first-person by Publius Varrus, a centurian of the Roman army who meets and become best friends with a legate named Caius Britannicus. After campaigning in Britiannia for many years together, they foresee the collapse of the Empire and know that the troops will soon be recalled from Britannia, and the order and law in Britain would disintegrate with the retraction of the troops. They start to create a colony on Britannicus' villa, even creating their own council as a mini-senate, and among the other endeavors they start breeding war-horses, choosing the largest of the stock sent from Rome.

In "The Skystone", Publius looks for the 'skystones' that his father had used to make a dagger from. These skystones were meteors, and he had to use a much hotter fire to smelt it than with any other metal. The result was a metal so resilient that it would cut through steel without even a scratch to it. In "The Singing Sword", Publius, whose father was a blacksmith and is himself a master blacksmith, spends years designing a making a master sword - one that could be used both on horseback and on foot (I won't go into too many details, because if I do, I won't be able to stop...!) Excalibur is the result, and the name derives from an African word 'qalibr', meaning 'mold', which is how he made this sword, as opposed to the traditional method, with the sword all one piece.

This sword is hidden away for years, because he knew that this would be a sword that kings wouild kill for.

Anywho, at the end of the second book, they name this now large, self-sufficient, and militarily reliable colony Camulod, deriving from the old Roman name of Colchester, Camulodunum, which was where Britannicus was born.

The third book til the end of the series is told from the pov of Caius Merlyn Britannicus, the aforementioned Britannicus' grandson. Yep - here comes my beloved Merlyn! Long story short, he and his best friend/cousin Uther grow up to be commanders of Camulod, which has now become the largest military force in Britain. Merlyn is NOT in any way a magician - quite the opposite, actually. He only gained that reputation later by using Egyptian crafts to extract revenge upon several people for several very malicious deeds in the last few books...which I won't mention, as that would ruin the plot.

Yeah...I'd keep going, but....it would take several hours to give even a brief outline of the rest of the books.

They're good. Really good. In my view the 'real' story of Arthur, Camulod, and Excalibur.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2006
  16. fridgehopper

fridgehopper Jazz Maverick

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    A trilogy of books called 'The Age of Misrule' by Mark Chadbourn. Puts an extremely interesting twist on the Arthurian myths. I really recommend reading them!!!

17. imrhien

imrhien The Lady of the Sorrows

Ratings:
    +58 / 0 / -0
    Mary Stewart's The Crystal Cave, The Hollow Hills and The Last Enchantment. I'm not a Arthur fan but I really enjoyed these. Set in the 5th century supposedly the correct time era in history??

18. Liadan

Liadan Insert Title Here

Ratings:
    +124 / 0 / -0
    Like some people stated, I enjoyed the Mists of Avalon a lot. I also like Le Morte D'Arthur (sorry for the atrocious spelling.)

19. Daenypatrilles

Daenypatrilles New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Yeap, I've read those by Gerald Morris (there are 10 all together in the series) x) he has that ability to make you cry or laugh, definitely one of my favourite Y A authors.

20. S.J. Faerlind

S.J. Faerlind Flashlight Shadowhunter

Ratings:
    +330 / 2 / -1
    I agree with so many here... The Mists of Avalon was my favourite