Beowulf

Discussion in 'Books' started by kartaron, Mar 31, 2004.

1. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    Is tolkiens translation of Beowulf available anywhere? Have read others and would like to see how his reads.

2. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Last I knew the plan was for there to be 2 volumes, 1 published late this year and one next year of his actual translations. Tolkien did a partial poetic translation and a full prose one.

check out http://www.jagular.com/beowulf/tolk.shtml.

There is also Beowulf and the Critics by Michael Drout who is the editor for the upcoming volumes.

3. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Two volumes? They would have to be extremely short volumes, because Beowulf isn't very long...

4. Tamzen

Tamzen New Member

Ratings:
    +9 / 0 / -0
    Well if you checked out the link I posted here is what the editor of the volumes has to say about them. http://www.jagular.com/beowulf/tolk.shtml

"I am currently in the process of editing Tolkien's unpublished translation of Beowulf. There is a partial verse translation (600) lines, and a complete prose translation. Despite what various reporters have been saying, I think it is highly doubtful that the translation will be ready for publication before 2004.

The current plan is to print the translations synoptically for the first 600 lines (verse on the left, prose on the right) and then continue with the prose translation to the end. Notes will be fairly limited in this volume, but I will point out Tolkien's solution of major cruces, etc.

There will then follow a companion volume to the translation that will be based on Tolkien's enormously detailed line-by-line commentaries. This will be a book that will probably appeal only to Beowulf scholars, since I intend to follow Tolkien's line by line approach to the poem, supplementing, where useful, with some of his other essays about Beowulf. I don't think this volume will be ready until 2005."

5. kartaron

kartaron Hunter / Gatherer

Ratings:
    +20 / 0 / -0
    I like the sound of that second one... Ill keep my eyes open thanks