Beginning of life - from outer space?

Discussion in 'Every Day Debating' started by clouded_perception, Mar 6, 2007.

1. clouded_perception

clouded_perception clouded_perception

Ratings:
    +49 / 0 / -0
    Re: Beginning of life

Dwimmer:
    First: you don't have a hypothesis. You have an assertion. That was my entire point. A hypothesis is TESTABLE. A hypothesis has the potential to be disproved if the evidence so shows, and the potential to be supported if the evidence so shows. You, however, have no evidence and have not suggested any means of obtaining any. This means that it is not a hypothesis and not worthy of scientific attention.

Second: I find your above statement about having evidence but won't post it because Al can explain it amusing. If Alchemist can explain it, it isn't evidence for your point, now is it? But it's an interesting way to admit that you have no evidence, kudos for the effort. Ever thought about becoming as politician?

2. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Re: Beginning of life

Note - this is an old dormant thread so I'm taking the liberty of renaming it and reviving it.

Possible proof of life from beyond Earth?

Now this is truly exciting:

Man, if this is true, we're looking at a seminal moment in scientific history. Not to mention the ramifications for religion and philosophy. It's not a nw theory but if it poves to be true....wow.
    As has been said, it's an extraordinary claim, which will require extraordinary proof. I hope that a respected career scientist from an institute like NASA isn't going to publish something without a solid foundation just to grab a headline.

Watch this space!!!

3. Cascador

Cascador Who's Anakin?

Ratings:
    +383 / 0 / -0
    I think it's not unlikely that we come from other planets. Yup we're bacteria from Mars essentially and the women are bacteria from Venus:p

Seriously though if it is true, it would explain a lot of things and I just hope they find more proof. People may think this is all too sci-fi. I don't know. It makes sense to me. We arrived here as bacteria. We found a way in the water. We evolved through millions and millions of years. And yeah we are what we are today and still evolving...

4. Turambar

Turambar Harebrained Staff Member

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Ah... precedent.

It's hard to make anything of these claims. I think we need to give science some time to ponder over this finding. He may be correct - he may be wrong. After all, how deep exactly does the science of bacterial fossils on meteorites go? And what exactly does "fossilised bacteria" mean? I would want to see a chemical composition analysis of these fossils first before we start to draw any sort of conclusion.

Science has been playing some time now with the idea that the seed of life landed on this planet - rather than it being developed from the ground up on the surface of this planet (still the prevailing theory). Life may indeed be much more common than we first thought if life landed on this planet by meteorite. But other than that, I don't think the origin of life is very much of interest.

5. Overread

Overread Wolfing it up! Staff Member

Ratings:
    +341 / 1 / -0
    Aye its not a new idea in the science world (I recall that guy from the first Jurassic park film doing a short science TV show where this theory was put forward). I think that even if the life contained within the meteorite is proven to come from outer space it won't make major waves - at least not for the average person. Scientifically it at least would prove the point - though it will be a hard time proving beyond reasonable doubt that the samples are indeed from outer space.

However whatever the findings of the study I think that bacteria from other worlds is an idea that most people would easily accept and most likely think has already been found, studied and forgotten about (I could say it comes as a small surprise that its 2011 and this is the first major study ;)).

Now if someone finds some nice multicelled lifeforms or fossils of them then I think you'll get the big "ooh" outside of the scientific community.

6. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    Well, I would agree. I am sure there will be some "whoa" in the scientific community as well. That said, I don't think we will find eukariota or even multicelular beings on any meteorite. The more complex life becomes, the more vunerable, or so it seems. I don't see it living on an extraterrestrial, unprotected rock somewhere or other.

There is, of course, the off chance of finding a rock with a fossil of a creature that grew on a planet elsewhere, which has chipped off in a cataclysmic event. But the odds of that are close to - if not - zero. Chances of such a rock ever hitting earth are pretty slim. Chances of finding it... infinitely small.

7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Creationist believers might think otherwise :D

Mind you they don't believe the earth is any older than ~5000 years so I'm sure there'd be a good explanation of this too, if it proved to be true.

Isn't earth supposed to be the only place in the entire universe where god created life? Here and no other place? Considering the percentage of the population that believes in a creator god, this might shake things up somewhat for the true believers. Not the casual believers or non-believers.

Now wouldn't THAT be something!

8. Turambar

Ratings:
    +189 / 0 / -0
    I... don't think the Bible excludes the possibility that a different god created life on another planet. But that opens up a whole other can of worms. Live ones.