Beginner swordfighter

Discussion in 'Historical Re-enactment' started by CaPtYnCrOnIc, Feb 18, 2008.

1. CaPtYnCrOnIc

CaPtYnCrOnIc The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    So thats me, a novice who only knows enough about a sword to know how not to cut my foot off

I have always been interested in the asian arts but have felt that the weapons are a bit....light for me. I have resently come across a sword call the falchion and I will post some pics below of those I have found but these are only a refrence as the sword I would have made will be longer. I felt that this style of sword would be ideal for me expecially if I can have one made that would have the balance of say a katana which is concidered a fast sword and had it made longer like a 30" blade. The sword I would have made would be really a blend of western and eastern design.

My question is where do I start in terms of training? With it being really a western sword with eastern tweaks should I begin with the WMA or something eastern? I will eventually have three versions of this sword made or will make them myself, one being a wooden training sword, another a steel practice version slightly heavier than the real sword, and then a third sword that would be a fully fuctional weapon.

i do not wish to limit myself to a specific style or time period but focus more on the best blend of eastern and western martial arts to complement this sword. Also I would have to go it alone for awhile until I can find someone else willing to get wacked with a sword (moving:( ) so everything I can do now would. Currently I am employing my own style that has basically been based on things I have found on the net and things I have read about but I want to have a more fomal affinity with the arts.

If any of the above needs clarifying please let me know, I wrote this while kids are running around in the background,lol

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 25, 2008
  2. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    First of all, you have good taste in swords, in my opinion. I've always been a fan of the chinese broadsword, which has a curved blade not unlike the swords in these pics.

http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/images/dao-and-scabbard.jpg

You'll probably not ever get a falchion that wields like a katana, since they are not only well-balanced but really light. This, as I understand it, owes to the process by which katanas (relatively thin swords) are made to be very strong, maximizing durability per weight, and therefore requiring less weight.

As for training, my understanding of it is that european fighting styles, particularly those involivng one-handed swords, are far less developed than eastern martial arts. You might find some good references on using it in conjunction with a shield, but otherwise, you should probably read up on your wushu and such.

If you ever pass through Arizona, I'll spar with you.

GLHF, and don't die.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2008
  3. CaPtYnCrOnIc

CaPtYnCrOnIc The Fighters Guide House Member

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Thank you for your comments! I'll take you up on that if I am ever in AZ! Whats the typical length of the sword in the link?

I am really just basing my sword on several but it would end up looking very like the first pic with a blade length of 30" or slightly shorter with a hand-and-a-half or two-handed hilt. The other pics are just refrences to other falchions and the overall design of the sword.

I just wanted a sword with the feel of a katana but with a western look.

I suppose eastern swordfighting would be the place to start though, know of any good refrences? I need online info for now, I'm moving soon and would have to order any books after that.

4. stevenlink1

stevenlink1 Knight of Hyrule

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0
    The blade on that sword is 27 3/8" and here is a link to the review of that particular sword:
    http://www.sword-buyers-guide.com/chinese-broad-swords.html
    You also might want to check out Cold Steel. There swords are notoriously strong at the expense of weight. In fact, you can have them send you a free DVD showcasing their swords' abilities by cutting through meat, leather, ropes, skulls, ribs, and so on. Bear in mind, however, that just because Cold Steel is the only company that makes such a DVD, theirs are not the only swords that can perform such feats.

Resources on the use of the chinese broadsword from a practical (as opposed to exhibitionist's) perspective are few and far between. If I find anything useful, I'll let you know.

Know also, though, that it is not uncommon these days for someone to use a sword from one culture and a fighting style for another. For example, I often use an approximation of fencing with the Chinese Jian sword.

Luckily, eastern martial arts are regularly practiced at a number of training facilities across the U.S., so even if books and online articles fail you, there's always that.

5. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Busy, not much time. Learn both styles then blend the parts you like. WMA is a good starting point, not sure what steve means by western ma not beign developed, there's a huge amount fo literature out there. Give it all a shot then you'll be able to pick and choose.

6. Senekha

Senekha <a href="http://photobucket.com" target="_blank"><

Ratings:
    +84 / 0 / -0
    SCA!!!!!!

lol....

I don't train in the styles you have mentioned, but I do SCA heavy fighting. While that doesn't involve live steel (but rather rattan swords), it allows us to go full speed and full power on each other. And it also requires a hell of a lot more form than you'd imagine!

7. Mububban

Mububban Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +186 / 1 / -0
    Pfft, psychos

:p