Bear with me; Jinral's story

Discussion in 'Original Works' started by Jinral, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Jinral

Jinral The yet to be published

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Alright here is the deal; I am going to write a novel length story, here on this site, 1 post at a time, it should take me a few weeks to do, everything on here will be totally original, I mean to say straight from my stream of conciousness, so mind the numerous spelling errors and tangents. If you guys like it, awesome!, if you don't well....not awesome....

Here is what I'll do, I will comepletely assemble the posts on my website so you can read it in straight shots. At the end we'll take a vote, self-publish or no.

It is going to be....hmmm epic fantasy....i think....i guess we will have to see where it leads to

the website will be up by this weekend, it is noow...but I'm too much of a perfectionist to let this lie

well here we go

EDIT: So i recently went through and read this thing, there were over 100 mistakes in 15 pages...and that is just what spell check caught..so I am letting you know there is an edited version on my site.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2011
  2. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Mugs clinked and patrons cheered as their friends passed through the wooden doors. It didn't really matter who it was that entered, everyone seemed to be boisterously greeting them the same. Like old friends, these men who had never seen eachother before would clap one another on the back and pretend they had been best mates for years.

Derek summers watched as the crowd quickly down their ale and just as quidckly snag up another. He pushed his black hair out of his face and gave a friendly nod toward the barkeep, who couldn't help but smile as the coin quickly stacked up. Derek himself quietly sipped on his tea. He wrinkled his nose as the flavor had already begun to grow stale. He quietly set the cup down and continued watching as the barkeeps profits piled high. The barkeep profited and so did he.

The night was growing weary and slwoly but surely each of the men took their turning leaving the inn. It wasn't until the sun cleared the mountain range in the east that the final patrons left their barstools to stumble home. They would of stayed if the barkeep hadn't informed them that they had finally bled the last barrels dry. With a jouyous grin, the last of them left and a quiet settled over the crude establishment.

The barkeep locked the door and proceeded to jump and cheer as he eyed the sacks of gold coin he had behind his counter. He had never seen so much in his life. He had never run dry of so many barrels even after a weeks worth of business. He cautiously eyed his small inn and everything seemed perfect. There had been no brawl, no broken mugs and all of the furniture still had the legs it started with. His gaze finally settled though, on the darkly clad man sitting in the corner.

Derek spoke quietly, forcing the barkeep to pay attention, "Seems business had been well this night."

The barkeep smiled, "Yes my good cleric, it seems your blessing on my establishment has brought me good fortune. I must pray to your patron, uh errm....what was his name?"

Derek chuckled quietly, "Kaleniestropoziska."

the owner laughed and said, "Well yeah, I will pray to him for my good fortune."

Derek pressed his hands together and sighed, "Yes I am sure he will be pleased with a new follower, I hate to ask though, some o four less fortunant followers have fallen on hard times. I believe Kalniestropziskatica has blessed you for the reason that in your heart you are kind and will aid them during their time of harship" He narrowed his eyes slightly, "financially."

The man looked stunned at first, but not out of shock, but rather out of fear of offending the cleric, "Oh of course, here!" He quickly grabbed two sacks of coin and set them at derek's feet. "I hope I can appease...uhhh..your patron deity, please take this."

Derek smiled, "Yes, I am sure this will help, now if you could, close your eyes and let us pray to Klaneistropziskanarey," Derek hung his head and the barkeep quickly followed suit. Derek began chanting in a foreign tongue, causing the barkeep to raise his head, Derek's look told him not to worry and the barkeep shut is eyes once more. Derek continued mutterering the words, but he sntached a piece of paper from his robe and read from the scroll. As he finsihed the incantation, the scroll burned away into nothing, leaving a smokey residu in the air.

"raise your head my son," The barkeep did as Derek commanded and saw that the bags of gold were floating in air. Upon closer inspection he saw a faint gold shimmering disk hovering above the ground.

He began to wipe at his brow, "Oh my...what is..."

Derek smiled, "That my friend, is his way of showing us thanks and assisting all of his children in their journey, now please, go pray from your bed, for it as before we sleep that we are closest to him.

The man quickly nodded and ran upstairs.

Derek moved quickly toward the door, unlocking it. As he did though, the glint of metal behind the counter caught his eye. He waited quietly for a momen, listening for the sound of footsteps. After being satisfied there was none, he quietly snatched up another sack and set it ontop of the disc which began creak and moan. Derek cursed silently left the inn at a brisk walk.

"Ya miss me?" Derek burst into the room, laden with the three bags of gold. The dimly lit workshop was darker than usual, and it took a moment for derek to find Jazer. In the corner of the troom however, huddled over a desk was the small elf. Jazer looked up at the dark haired human, but said nothing as he returned to his work. Derek sighed and with the jingling of coin, he set down the bags. He crossed the room, his bootsteps echoing on the wooden floorboards. "What has got you in a bind?" He clapped the elf on the shoulder.

Jazer looked up through his thick spectalces, "You should have been caught."

Derek laughed and turned away, "What, our plan was full proof!"

the elf scoffed, "NO, your plan was riddled with holes and fallacies."

the man nudged his elven counterpart, "Oh come on, if it wasn't for my ingenuity, you would still be a vendor of pointless objects, and I would still be a tavern bard, singing about heros who never existed, we both know were better off." He crossed over to the gold piles and nudged it with his boot. "You see, with atht, we can arm ourselves for the next scam!"

Jazer shook his head, his blond hair swishing too and fro as he did, "You messed up your deity's name 4 times, you never once got it right after the first time."

Derek shrugged his shoulders, "He didn't notice."

Jazer continued, "You put too much of the charm potion into the barrels, now those men are going to wake up severely pissed off, or dead from overdose."

the man laughed, "Overdose of friendliness...that would be hysterical."

"And" Jazer held up a finger, "You took more than what was offered, you stole."

"What do you call the other two bags, charity?"

"At least the barkeep would be satisifed but now he will know that you stole it and he might come looking for us."

Derek shook his head, "Jazer, you worry way too much, i mean, the men will blame how they feel on the ale, the barkeep never counted his money and if he did he wouldnt suspect me. Plus we needed more gold to pay for all the messages you magically whispered into everyones ear about the inn."

Jazer shook his head as he contnued to fiddle with what was on his desk, "It was wrong and you know it, petty theiving if you ask me."

Derek struck Jazer across the face with a closed fist. the elf quickly fell out of his chair, rubbing at the swelling cheek,. derek spat at him, "You little bastard, don't you dare judge me, I rescued you from a life of monotony and despair, you owe me what you have, or did you forget, you fiddle around with your creations only because I let you!"

the clay figurines on Jazer's desk were strolling about of their own accord, making small noises everytime they moved. Derek dragged his arm across the desk, sending the clay figures through the air, most crashed into the wal or broke across the floor. azer screamed and quickly began picking up the pieces of his fallen friends. Derek searched through his robe, but as he did, he heard the fluttering of wings eachoed in his ear. He moved to snatch the beast, but the homunocculs was too fast and darted away towards Jazer for safety.

Derek cursed again, "Keep that little bastard away , I don't need you spying on me." He stormed out of the room, slamming the door behind him.

Jazer quietly rose to his desk and lat the pieces of the shattered clay creatures sprawl across his deak, "One day," he whispered to himself, "one day we will be free."

end ch 1

3. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Jazer slowly worked at piecing back together his silent creations once Derek was far out of earshot. He mumbled to himself as he worked. The elf assembled the shards of clay, trying to figure out where each on belonged, but quickly gave up.
    He rested his palm in his hand as his homunocculus continued to flutter around the room. "Well old friend, looks it is just you and me...again." Jazer held out his finger and the homunocculus responded by quickly descending and perching itself on top of the appendage. The creature itself was just a blob of clay with wings. Jazer studied him for awhile, remembering the acciden thta brought the creature into being.
    Derek had returned back to the lab, drunker than usual and causing a ruckus. He had tossed paped and knocked over shelves. Jazer tried to remain as small as possible, but Derek's attentiuon moved to him nonetheless. The bard jabbed vicious comments and hit him a few times. Jazer just ignored him despite the pain. If he didn't react he knew Derek would get bored. After Derek left Jazer had turned to clean up the mess.
    On his desk sat the beginings of a dragon's statue. The elf has seen one in a recent magical text and wanted to make a sculpture. He didn't know hwy but it became a passion. The lump of clay on the desk was his fourth attempt. He was finnaly satisfied with the wings, actually apppearing scaley on the edges and leathery in the right places. He had stuck the feet from an old griffon statue onto the creature, meaning to retexturize the feathers into scales, but had not gotten around to it yet.
    As Jazer began to pick up the mess though, a stroke of genius hit him, or so he thought. He once witnessed a mage create an invisible force that acted like a maid, cleaning and washing and carrying out menial tasks. If Jazer had one, he wouldn't have to clean up the mess everytime Derek returned in a drunken stupor. Jazer quickly went to work, calculating all the magical forces necessary to accomplish such a task.
    Using his abilities as an artificer, he slowly came to a formula which would reproduce the effects. He scribbled down the formula onto a scroll and use the necessary catalyst agents as the ink. Satisfied with his work, he spoke the words of power. Nothing happened. he cleared his throat and tried again. Still nothing. This time he began to shout each word, enunciating every syllable as he read from the paper. A great flash erupted in front of him and the scroll turned to ash, a sign that the spell had been cast. But nothing seemed different.
    Derek burst into the room then demanding to know why Jazer was making such a racket, but as he stepped through the doorway, he stared. the tiny flutter of wings echoed in Jazer's sensitve ears and aboce his head floated, the little homunocculus. Derek of course immediatly began swatting at the thing. Jazer reacted by snatching it and sheltering it. After a few breif blows and a lot of crying, Derek marched back to his room, saying "It is a stupid thing anyway."
    Jazer peeked into his hands and the tiny creature still hobbled about. It was no bigger thanh his fist and seemed to haveno eyes or mouth, or anytihng that matter besides the feet and wings.
    Jazer shook the memory from his mind, he had still been able to duplicate the effect beyond simple animation. He tried countless times, but all of his toher creations bumbled about aimlessly, while the homunocculus could follow basic commands. Jazer cleared his thraot, "Occy, hop on the desk."
    The tiny clay creature immediatly hopped onto the wooden desk. Jazer ran his finger inbetween the blob's wings, which it seemed to enjoy. "I tell you what Occy, I wish you could talk, then I would have a friend."
    "Oh please..." Derek laughed behind him, causing Jazer to immediatly shudder, "what would you do with frineds, you are nearly fifty years old, yet you act like a human child of four." He uncrossed his arms and strode forward, "At least give the damned thing a decent sounding name." He moved to the table snatching the homunocculus up. Jazer immediatly dove for it, but Derek was quicker and lifted the thing high. Jazer repeatdly jumped for it as the tiny creature furiously beat its wings. Derek just laughed. "Look at you, you're pathetic."
    Jazer stopped his futile attempts and huffed. From inside of his robe, he pullled a small scroll and quickly muttered the words. Derek had closed his eyes jsut for a moment, but when he opened them he saw the scroll and knew what was comming.
    Bright blue light tiwsted from the parchment as the paper crumbled to ash. The four strands of light hammered into Derek, causing him to reel in pain. He let go of the homunocculus who immediatly flew back to his master's desk.
    Blood began spewing from Derek's nose, which appeared to be broken. Derek moved to strike the artificer, "YOU SON OF A-"
    Jazer drew another piece of parchment form his robe, "Stay back, or have another!"
    Derek drew his fist back, but thought better of it, storming off once more.
    Jazer exhaled harshly and turned to his creation, "You had better be quicker next time or else he is going to crush you."

4. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Chapter 3

It took a few days for Derek to finnaly cool off and begin working on the next scheme. With the free time he had, the elf returned to his research on bringing sentient life into being. That was the only reason he allowed Derek to use his things for the heists, robberies and frauds thet Derek came up with. Jazer eyed the growing stack of books that had assembled in the corner. Each time Derek went out, Jazer would give him a list of books to buy and Derek woudl come right back with the exact ones. It didn't matter where in the wolrd the two theives were hiding at, Derek somehow managed to find a way to get Jazer exactly what he needed.
    He flipped through yet aouther research journal, trying to understand its hidden secrets. After skimming the pages he quickly realized that this one was yet again, pointless. No wizard in the world had yet perfect the art of bringing life to an inatimate object. Golems, homonocculus were one thing, but Jazer knew that his weas different. It was intelligent. It demonstrated free will on numerous occassions. Why hadn't any of these wizards found the way?
    Jazer rubbed his eyes, forcing his spectacles to rest on top of his head. He looked down at the lump of clay that had sparked this great undertaking. It was hobbling around the desk, amuzing itself in one way or another. Jazer smiled and rubbed the creature between its wings.
    Another book landed on his desk and another was discarded as Jazer silently struggled through page after page. He tried to think back to life at the academy. There were hundreds of mages, wizards, sorcerers even. They each had their own areas of expertise. Some were evokers, channeling the elements to their will. Others worked in divination, reading the stars and interpeting dreams to discover some unseen truth. Some would summon beings form other worlds and force them to do their will. Jazer however, didn't have a specialty. Early on he had developed a talent for understanding magic. He could see a spell and know exactly what components made it up, what verbal commands were needed, and how the spell would affect the world around it. He could write down the exact formula to any spell he saw, and some that he didn't.
    Convinced he would become a powerful wizard, he took what was left of his families savings and ran away to the academy. Seeing the gold, the wizards allowed the young elf in. Jazer thought if he became a powerful wizard, he could pay his family back ten fold. Soon after joining though, Jazer found out the cold hard truth. He didn't have any link to magic. He would perform the exactl arm gestures, say the right words, yet nothing would happen. He studied for hours on end and still nothing, not even a spark could shoot out of his finger tips. It wasn't until they shoved him into the librarian's assistant position that he discovered his real talent.
    Jaze rhad been snooping in the wrong section of the library, like he usually did when he came across a spellbook. Spellbooks were extremely rare andit was liekly someone had forgotten theirs on the table. Jazer couldn't help but look inside. What he saw baffled him. The wizard had taken the formula for a spell and converted it into a strange language. It took Jazer the better part of an afternoon to discern what the first page said. After hearing a noise though, Jazer ripped out the page and took off, folding the piece of parchment. in his pocket.
    When he returned to work the next day, the spell book was gone. Jazer was saddened by this, but continued to study the strange script on the torn paper. After translating it though, Jazer read the words aloud.
    He knew the spell was an incineration spell, but he didn't anticipate the degree at which the wizard had prepared such a spell. The entirety of the library was set ablaze in an instance. The explosion nearly knocked the young elf form his feet. After scrambling to get away, the wizards soon figured out who had caught the library on fire and expelled Jazer from their order.
    The elf sighed, and here he was, still no better than that day. He could write down any spell he wanted, but he couldn't cast it unless he took the time to trnsalte the mathematical formula into the strange language. The elf's eyes once again wandered down to his friend who now spun in circles on the desk.
    "So my friend,what is the secret to your life?" The creature fell onto its hind end. Jazer sighed once more, "If onyl you could speak, perhaps then you could tell me." If it could speak....Jazer's eyes opened wide. That was it, if it could speak then it would reveal everything. All it needed was a mouth The elf snatched up some clay and grabbed the homonocculus. He quickly molded the creature with an oversized mouth. After considering for a moment, he gave iot sharpened teeth. After all, it needed something to defend itself form Derek.
    The homunocculus fidgeted as Jazer worked. "Hold on body, i just need to write down this spell and you will have a mouth!" Jazer smiled, impressed with himself.
    He quickly went to work on the spell he would need. He had to bind the mouth with the sentience within the clay. It took him a few minutes to figure out how exactly to tether the mouth to the creature's mind, but soon he had his spell. He quickly went about crushing the needed components and combining them into an ink. After scribbling down the language, Jazer was ready.
    "Ready buddy? Here we go!"
    He spoke the words loudly as he read from the scroll. The paper disintegrated into ash, leaving nothing behind. Jazer stared at his creation. The mouth wasn't moving. Jazer poked his finger out the outer edge, and the homunocculus reacted by shying away. The mouth closed. Jazer yelled

NOT DONE

5. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    (sorry for lack of updates, work has kept me busy) ... with excitement as the creature began to slowly adjust to its new mouth. It first tried to stretch it as wide as the tiny mouth could go, then closed it tight to try and make it disappear. Jazer nearly danced around the entire study as he watched his creation move about the desk.
    After finally tiring form all the moving, Jazer sat back down and put his chin in his hands. The creature now began to flutter around the desk, trying to bite everything in sight. Jazer rubbed it between its wings with his finger and creature made a high pitched sound. It wasn't sharp, but rather soft, like a cat purring. Jazer did it again and the creature purred once more. Jazer leaned in real close, "Do you understand me?"
    The creature responded by biting his nose. Jazer reared back as the tiny hardened clay teeth sunk into the cartilage of his nose. He shook his head trying to fling the creature off. Eventually the teeth loosened enough and the homunocculus went flying straight into a wall. It collided against the wood wrame with a soft thud and landed on the desk.
    Jazer quickly checked his nose for blood and went over to his pet who lay motionless. The caly blob had cracked in several places and the wings were bent crooked. Jazer began to panic as he prodded the creature with his finger. this was his only friend in the world, the only thing that understood him, it can't die, it can't. Jazer had just succeeded at augmenting the thing, a new world of doors had just opened for him. There had to be something...
    He looked at his desk and then flung open the drawers. Paper form within scattered acrosss the room as the elf frantically scrounged through the tan pieces of parchment. He kept sorting through trying to find anything that could help him, anything that could save his frined. The spirit had to be clost still, there had to be time!
    Then he found one. He coudln't recall what the language meant or what formula he had used on it, but something about it told Jazer it was the one. He knew it had to work. He stood up and using the ancient words of power he summoned force the magic that lay within the scroll.
    The parchemnt burst into ashes and the room began to swirl with an unearthly wind, sending the scattered papers even farther across the room. Jazer had to shield his eyes as lighting from nowhere struck the tiny homunocculus, casting a green glow about the room. Just as he moved his sleeve over his face, the wind and lightning ceased.
    He lowered his arm to reveal the homunocculus sitting upright on the desk fluttering its tiny wings. Jazer felt the tears well up in his eyes as he watched the thing move around the desk in a happy waddle. He managed to choke, "I don't care what you bite anymore, feel free to eat whatever you like, my nose my fingers, I don't care!"
    It looked up at him and made the same high pitched purring sound it had before.

end ch3
    ch4

6. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ch 4 (gonna be a short one today, real busy)

For the next few days Jazer focused all of his time with the homunocculus. He barely managed to provide Derek with what he needed for his latest scheme. All that Jazer cared about was his creation. Sentient life that was brought about by his doing. He couldn't be more proud of his own skill.
    After the initial feelings of glorification lost their edge. Jazer quickly went about creating new clay models and new homunocculus. He figured that the creature could not speak due the magic itself in some hidden formula that Jazer had used. He crafted miniature humans, elves and dwarves this time, in hops that the magic would reflect the homunocculus's shape when it dictated their language ability. He even carefully crafted one of Derek as well as himself. The humunocculus slug as Jazer now called it, watched eagerly as more little creations began to spring to life using some of Jazer's magic. These ones however, still failed to reproduce not only speech, but intelligent thought. A week or so of cursing, rethingking, and more curses, Jazer was ready to give up. Not one of his creations was able to mimic the inteeligence of the slug, let alone and intelligent human being. Everytime Jazer failed creating something he cast the clay doll aside.
    The slug would quickly hobble over to the creations and slowly begin to munch on the clay bits. This worried Jazer at first, but it was better than the slug clamping onto his nose again. Jazer worked from sun up until long after the sun receded behind the horizion, yet nothing seemed to work.
    On the eighth night of his endeavor, Jazer gave up. Every different combination he had tried had failed. The forumula had escaped him. He stared through weary eyes at the corner of his desk where he had ammassed his failures. In the corner though, lay only one figurine laying amongst the rubble of figurine remnants. He picked it up and found it to be his own model. He stared curiously at the figurine, noticing something was off. SOmething seemed different then what it should have been. He adjusted his spectacles and stared closer. The fingers were missing. He looked back down at his desk and found his winged slug sitting humbly in the center, but it too was differen.t The thing had grown. Where it was once the size of a small fist, it had somehow doubled in size, about the size of an infants skull.
    He watched as it bumbled around once more, strething its wings which had also increased, easily trippling the original wingspan. He whispered, more to himself than the creature, "How did you...." It responded it by plopping onto its hind end and yawning in its usual high pitched demeanor.
    end ch 4

7. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    CH5 (Once again, I apoligize for update speed, work is nuts right now, im actually crunching this one out before my carpool arrives)
    It didn't take long for the elf to figure out that his creation had a large appetite. After consuming all of Jazer's failed creations, the thing began to bite down on the corners of the desk and tried to eat the wooden furnture. After deciding that it didn't enjoy the taste it move onto to other things, like Jazer's books, bits of metal, some of Jazer's components, and even Derek's boots, at which point Derek became acutely awar of the creature's increased size. After a heated argument and a few thrown bits of furniture, Derek decided to allow Jazer to keep his pet, as long as he trained it properly.
    Jazer didn't bother training to house train the thing, it had no waist to speak of. Anything it gobbled up, it either immediatly spat back out or was simply never seen again. As far as Jazer could tell it only ate clay, which it immediatly absorbed, everything else didn't make it past one or two bites. Jazer continued on with his research in attempts to recreate the effects. He had Derek retrieve book after book. Derek had been busy on his own though, using Derek's scrolls to trick even more villagers out of their money. It had gotten to the point where Jazer had to supply him a scorll that would summon a horse that would last for at least two days, both ways. Derek's schemes had taken him all over the countryside, and brought him a lot of good fortune, which he usually gambled away until he was broke once more.
    As much as Jazer tried to focus on his research though, the homunocculus, whom Jazer had renamed Octavius, was a constant presence, always pestering Jazer for more food. The thing even began to chomp at Jazer's unifinished creations, slowing his research to a snail's pace.
    After a particualr batch of miniatures had exploded into shrapnel after a botched spell, Jazer silently gazed down at his companion. Octavius was hoverin in circles now, contastantly searching for new prey. It had grown to the size of a small terrier, nad acted like one more and more as time passed. Jazer wasn't sure, but the creature was able to somehow sense the presence of clay in the room. It constantly got into his supplies which in turn made Jazer contastantly ask Derek for more. Octavius had no eyes, no snout, and no ears, yet it always found its way into mischief.
    As Jazer contemplated the creature's innate sense of direction, Derek burst through the door. The man's usual calm demeanor was replaced with a look of fright, his clothing and hair were dishelved and his hands shook as they gripped the door frame. Jazer turn and shielded his eyes from the light of day that flooded into the room from the doorway.
    Derek spoke, his voiced quick and harsh, "We have to leave, now!" He ran into his room and began grabbing his things. Jazer stared after him, quietly doing nothing. Derek burst back into the room once more, "Did you not here me!? We are leaving, now!"
    "What happened?" Jazer got to his feet quickly and began snatching up all of his texts.
    Derek came over and knocked the books from his hands. "Are you an idiot, were not taking the books!, grab some spells and let's go! Nearly got pinched, plan went south and they tracked me here, we have to get out of here before they catch us."
    Jazer now began to worry. He ripped open some of the drawers and grabbed a pile of scrolls. derek tossed him a traveling pack and Jazer shoved them inside. He then searched the room for any other possessions, there were none. There was nothing in this room that called for him to grab, just the books, of which there were more copies elsewhere. His gaze quickly wanered and landed on Octavius who seemed unconcerned with the commotion. Jazer snagged up the homunocculus, and shoved him in the pack. The creature foguht against the sudden force that scooped him up, but in the time that Jazer had spent with the creature, he had learned how to handle it. Octavius had no choice but to go in the pack.
    Derek entered to room once more with a sword on his hip and a pack on his back, "You ready Jazer?"
    Jazer looked up as he flung the pack onto his back, the sudden wieght nearly knocked the elf over. Derek shook his head. Jazer fixed his spectacles and said, "Ready."
    Derek turned and dashed through the doorway. Jazer ran after him, but before he crosed the threshold, he stopped. He stared at the wide open space before him. He could see the sun shining brightly down upon the dirt below. In the distance he saw the woods springing up from the hills and he saw houses with smoke rising from chimneys. The earth contained bugs and vermin, the woods had animals of all sizes, eagerly hungry for meat, the houses could be full of brigands, and the sky itself could yield any number of birds of prey. Suddenly, leaving didn't seem like such a good idea

EDIT(extension in the 5 min i have)

Derek turned to see Jazer staring awkwardly out the doorway, he yelled "Jazer, get your elven ass out here, we have to leave!"
    Jazer shook his head and awkwardly mumbled, "But outside, is...its dangerous."
    He had enough, Derek siezed Jazer by his collar and thrust him out into the open. The elf landed squarely on his jaw and proceeded to panioc as the world surrounded him. Ignoring the cries of the elf, Derek sntached him up and with surprising strength, lifted Jazer to his feet. Once Jazer had recovered his glasses, Derek grabbed his hand and the two were off.

End ch 5

(Don't forget, go to my site to see the entire story)

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  8. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    CH 6 (two chapters in one day, I know crazy...actually im just neglecting other things, like eating)
    It didn't take Derek long to navigate through the town. He constantly shifted his eyes as he ran, checking behind every tree, looking down every alley as they darted across courtyards and through fields. Jazer on the other hand, kept his head down, afraid to look anywhere but his down at his own feet. After what seemed to Jazer like an eternity, Derek slowed to a stop. he grapsed Jazer by the shoulders and whispered, "Alright Jazer, I just found us a pair of horses. When I say to, we are going to hop on and ride out of here." Jazer continued to stare at his shoes. Derek dug his nails into Jazer's arms, causing the elf to cringe and look up. Derek grunted, "You got me?"
    Jazer simply nodded and stifled his own sniffling. Derek turned away and began walking toward what appeared to be a stable. Jazer surveyed the area. It looked like somones ranch that had been shoved into the corner of the town. Derek make quick work of the lock on the stable doors, bashing it in Jazer shuddred as he watched Derek go in. Suddenly he realized he was alone, in the middle of the street, with no one else around. He began to panic once, more his breath becomming quick and labored. A small high pitch whine broke the silence and Jazer began to relax as his constant companion reminded him he was there.
    Derek reappeared shortly there after with two horses all saddled up. He lead one of them of to Jazer, handing him the reains. "Take this." He shoved the reins into Jazer's chest. The elf rubbed at the spot, sure it was going to bruise. From the house though, a sudden shout came up. A portly man swung open the door and stepped out onto the porch. jazer froze in place and stared as the man lifted up a decrepit shovel. He began to say something about horse thieves when a dagger suddenly slammed into his chest. The man fell to his back, gasping for air. Jazer turned to see Derek lowering his extended arm. Derek quickly moved up to the porch, retrieving his knife. He grabbed the portly man by the shoulders and dragged him inside the door. The door closed and a sudden scream erupted into the street. It sounded as if a woman had just discovered the leather clad assailant in her home. The scream did not last long, and all Jazer heard was another body hitting the floor. Derek appeared in the doorway once more, quietly closing the door behind him. He was busy wiping off the balde of his dagger which had been soaked in blood. He looked up from under his black hair and asked, "You ready?"
    Jazer realized his hands were severely shaking as he adjust his spectacles once more, "Umm, yes."
    Derek narrowed his eyes, "Good."
    He mounted his horse and then dismounted to assist Jazer in mounting his own. After several minutes and death threats, Jazer inally manged to sit straight in the saddle and eventually figured out how to make the horse move. Due to his impatience, Derek eventually tied the horses together rather than rely on Jazer's ability to steer the animal. The two were off at a gallop, riding north. Jazer once again could do nothing but look down as the scenerey passed. He realized now, that of all the things he need be afraid of, the most terrifying had been with him for over two years. He stole a glance up at Derek and his eyes wandered toward the blade at his side. Jazer didn't want to imagine how many countless innocents had died on the tip of that sword. A pang of guilt resounded in his chest as he rode, how many innocent the man had killed, using Jazer's spells to help him.

9. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    ch 6 continued
    The two rode for the better part of the day, only slowing once they had put the town far behind the horizon. Jazer had already begun to grow sore from the constant riding and desired nothing more than to fal asleep. Somehting told him however, that sleep was not in his future. Occassionally his rose to meet with Derek's back. The man now seemed sinister, like a beacon of evil riding down the dirt road. All this time, Jazer had lived with the monster.
    Everytime the two would come past another set of travelers, Derek always greeted them very friendly, however his hand always found its way to the hilt of his sword, or to that of his dagged which lay tucked into the back of his belt. He was very sly about it, never giving the traveler's need to worry, but everytime it happened Jazer's face would drain of all color and he would begin to shake.
    The two stopped well after night had settled. Derek had lead them off the path to the right, going into the thick woods. After he was satisfied they would not be seen, he tied his horse to one of the trees. At the first sign of stopping, Jazer immediatly dismounted, and proceeded to fall onto his backside. Derek extended him a hand. Jazer stared at the hand like it was a severed head. After a moment Derek withdrew the gesture and went about constructing a make-shift shelter from the horse blankets and fallen tree limbs. Jazer awakwardly rubbed his arms as the chill of the night enveloped him.
    Derek had nearly finished by the time he spoke, "Jazer, do you know what happened back there?"
    Jazer looked away, trying to find something interesting amongst the shadowed bushes that might distract him.
    Derek sighed and finsihed his work. After dusting his hands of the excess dirt he said, "Yes I killed those people, but you need to understand something." His voice was soft, almost like a whisper. Jazer slowly turned his head and the man seemed to be staring the elf down. "You have to understand, that in the world outside of the library, there is one law." He held up a finger for epmhasis, "The last man standing makes the rules."
    Jazer shuddred once more, and he knew it wasn't just from the cold air.
    Derek shook his head and laid beneath his self-constructed lean-to., Jazer still hadn't moved. "You see Jazer, any man may make a law or a rule, but if he fails to enforce it, then it might as well not have existed in the first place." Derek quickly sat up, "Think about it this way, five men eneter a room. Five different men, form different backgrounds. Each of these five men have a code they live by. The five begin to fight and four are slain, and there is the last man standing. Who's code was right?"
    Jazer managed a weak shrug.
    Derek on the other hand, grinned, "No one cares. The only option is the last man, because the others are too dead to raise an argument for any other." Derek shook his head once more and lay back slowly, "The only man who decides if something is worth dying for, is the one who survived, does that seem right?"
    Jazer could tell now, Derek was more talking to himself rather than the scholar elf.
    "I intend to be the last man, and my rule is kill or be killed. If those people back there ahd lived we would have had the guard on our asses the entire time. Evntually, we would be caught, thrown in the stocks and possibly drawn and quartered. I just saved our lives back there, yet you think I am a devil don't you?"
    Jazer began to plea with him, that he didn't think so, but the words seemed to be stuck in his throat and all he could manage was a few guttural sounds.
    Derek smiled to himself, "It is ok, you are going to learn right quick, it is better to be alive then dead, and that is by any means possible." With those parting words, Derek turned over to sleep.
    Jazer was left alone amongst the trees now, the chill wind seeming to slip amongst the trunks. He simply stared at the figure of the sleeping criminal. Not only was the man evil, but justified at the same time. Jazer moved to a nearby tree and sat down against its base. Derek had saved them, that was true, and Jazer didn't want to lose any limbs because of this. Maybe Derek was right, things can not always be black and white. Jazer leaned his head against the trunk of the tree. Things should be simpler, like magic. Magic was a misunderstood science for hudnreds of years. People practiced it and still practice it without any base knowledge of what they are doing. Jazer knew though, magic was just mathematics on a different scale, black and white. His last thought before the weariness of the day overtook him was, why shouldn't life be just as simple, just an equation.

10. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Jazer woke with a start. Something had woken him, he knew that. He quickly glanced around the camp. Derek was stillunconcious beneath his shelter. The mud caked on his boosts seemed to glisten. Jazer realized that a thin fog had settled, drenching the area. He slowly rose to his feet and feeling an idiot for lying on the ground. His entire backside was now saoked and very cold.
    He crossed his arms as he traversed the small area, looking for something amiss. His feet crunched down onto the dried leaves that littered the area. The colors were of a dull nature, seeming to blend in to the earth around it. Jazer thought for a moment, it was autumn wasn't it? He had forgotteen what season he had last kept track of. It felt like two years since, it could possibly have been longer. Jazer shot a look toward's Derek's still body. The man had given him an update on the seasons every now and then. Jazer however had paid little attention. Derek could of been lying through his teeth and Jazer would have never known.
    The elf paced around once more, but still didn't find the source of the thing that woke him, he didn't even know what had woekn him, but something did. As he moved to sit back down, he realized his pack was still on his back. He quickly swung it from his shoulder. It landed with a thud on the ground next to him, causing Octavius to let loose a sharp yelp.
    With wide eyes Jazer ripped open the pack and dug out the crying creature. Octavius was shuddering unctrollably, almsot as if the homunocculus was trying to sob. Jazer tried to quiet the creature, but without senses, it had no idea what Jazer was doing. The elf tried to rub it between its wings, but Octavius used his wings to bat his hands away. Jazer felt hurt, his own creation was angry with him, probably because he had slept on the thing the entire night.
    Octavius hopped down from Jazer's cupped hands. As he did however, Jazer noticed that on the creature's left side, there seemed to be something missing. He snagged up Octavius once more, and while the homunocculus fought against him, Jazer inspected the anomaly.
    On the creatur'es left side, there was a hole in his clay flesh. Inside, Jazer could see the whirring of gizmos and gears that powered the creature's movements. It looked as if all of them were made of clay. Jazer removed his belt, and managed to simulataneously pin the creature and tie its leg to the pack. Satsified it would hold, jazer dug through his pack and found the shards of clay laying near the bottom. Jazer had injured Octavius during the previous day's events.
    He quickly held up the fragments to Octavius's mouth. Octavius stuck out his still forming tongue and ran it against the shard, but quickly shifted away from them. Jazer was confused by this and began inspecting the shards. They seemed normal to Jazer's eyes. jazer tried to think of what he could do to help heal Octavius. He remembered back to when Octavius first had a mouth. It liked to eat all of his sculptures. Jazer almost laughed otu loud, maybe if he shaped it properly the creature would regain interest. He once more dug through his pack as Octavius hobbled about his limited area. After finding the wad of scrolls and parchemnt, he sorted through them quickly, finding the one he wanted. He quickly cast the spell, shaping the clay into a small statue. The spell slowly worked its way up, creating first the feat and then the legs. The clay seemed to melt and move of its own accord, answering the spell's command. Once the clay had recreated the torso of a man, it exploded, sending bit of clay everywhere. Jazer quickly covered his eyes s he was pelted with tiny clay shards. Once he was sure the violent affair was over he quickly looked over to Derek who had remained unconcious during the whole ordeal.
    He glanced back down to where he had cast the spell and found one large fragment left, it was about the size of his own thumb. He picked it up and examined the fragment. It had once been a corner piece of large bit of clay, but where the resthad broken off there was a peculiar mark. He brought it a bit closer to his spectacles and stared intently at the small black mark centered on the thin, broken edge. He tried to rub it away, but it remained despite its best efforts.
    He looked back down at Octavius who had grown fed up with his limitations and now tried to fly away, "You knew there was something wrong with the clay, didn't you buddy?" Seeing the tireless efforts of his companion, Jazer once more dug through his pack, finding the organized stack of papers. He quickly reorganized them into a sensible order. He didn't find anything that would work so he instead grabbed a blank one and began working out the theorum for what he needed. Jazer snagged up an ink bottle form the pouch on the front of the pack. It was hard to think he had grabbed so many things on his way out, he had just been stuffing the contents of his drawer into the pack, yet, he knew eaxactly where everything was, and he knew he had exactly what he needed to perform the basics.
    He processed the equations in his head, but whispered them when they became too great to contain within his mind.
    "Tension of the leather....carry the four, multiply tension by length divided by...divide first..."
    He quickly scribbled down the equation, and then flipped the page over. The equationwas already in his mind. Anything he wrote down he remembered. He could still remembert the note he left for his family when he left, the exact wording, the exact spelling he ahd used, and even the different strokes for the writing itself. The equation fluttered through his mind and he translated the numbers into the foreign language. Once his mind grasped the entire phrase, he wrote it down onto the piece of paper. Once he had, he knew the spell was ready.
    "Hold on buddy, I will help you out." He smiled at Octavius who was still trying to fly away, but failing in his attempts. Jazer grapsed the leather belt that he had tied to the homunocculus, and looked down at the paper. He whispered the words at first and felt the twinge of power build up within him. He said it once more, a bit louder and the power surged within him, but not enough. He threw a cautious glance over at Derek who still did not stir. Jazer said the words again, this time it was almost a yell, his voice echoing amongsat the thin grey trees. The power released from within him and the belttwisted in shape, becoing thinner and longer. The magic broke apart the leather into strands and re-wove them into a different patter, giving it elasticity and length in exhange for making it weaker.
    Octavius, who had been ignoring the strange thigns going on behind him, suddenly suceeded in his attempts to fly. The sudden success was unexpected though, and the homunocculus flew straight into a thick overhanging branch. Jazer's eyes went wide as he heard the cracking ofthe clay flesh and watched as Octavius fell back to earth. He wanted to extend his hands out to catch him, but his body didn't move as Octavius plummeted and crashed onto the floor. Another crack and Jazer watched the cracks spiderwebbed their way through the entire creature. The whirring of gizmos and gears was audbile, and there was something wrong as the innerworkings fidgeted to move properly. Octavius was broken.
    Jazer quickly got up and moved to his friend who sputtered and tried to get up, but wasmoving in such jerky motions that it couldn't rise to its feet. One of the talons had broken off as wella dn teh wings looked ready shatter. "Octavius!" Jazer called to his friend as he kneeled next to him, tears welling up in his eyes. "Get up, please!" Still nothing came back from the creature. Jazer knew he had to do something and fast.
    He tried to think, there had to be something. He lifted the pack and quickly began tearing through the papers trying to find something, but nothing useful leapt out to him. He then found the stack of blank parchment. He looked over at the inkwell. He wasn't a wizard, he knew that, but wizards were limited. There were those who commanded the elements, those that commanded the mind, and even those that commanded the dead, but Jazer wasn't any of these things. He could do them all. Any spell he had ever seen he could break apart and understand on a mathematical level, that was his strenght over them. he could do anything with the proper preparation.
    Jazer slowed his breathing and let his mind take over as his body began to panic. What did he need. He needed to repair his friend, if he didn't...He commanded his emotions to settle and thought once more. he needed to provide materials for the creature. If the creature ate anything it would always add the substance to itself, thus growing in size. It would only be natural for it to fill in the missing gaps in its body if it had the proper materials. He needed clay, but where to get it?
    The cold earth beneath him sent a chill through his body. Most of the land surrounding the town had clay within it. Some places was the pure thing, while others it was deep beneath the surface or intertwined with teh dirt and rock. His hand slowly felt the rough earth. He could sense what he needed, and it was intertwined beneath him. Jazer's eyes opened.
    He snatched up the parchment and ink. He grabbed another quil from his pocket and began scribbling down the complicated equation. His mind was now in charge, an entity in itself. His body and emotions simply followed the commands. His conciousness didn't quite understand what his mind was processing, but he knew whatever it was doing, it was working. His mouth moved of its own accord, whispering "seventy thirty mix, melting point, evaporation, codensation point." HIs conciousness began to make sense of it, but the time he regained control of his own body, his mind had finished and translated the work. He stared down at the page. He couldn't retranslate it back into the equation, so he had no idea what this was going to do, but he knew he had created, somehow his mind had created this. It was going to work.
    He stood, and with one last glance at his dying friend, he shouted the words of power. The magic surged through him gain, but this time it was almost violent the way it summoned withhin him and then exploded from his body. He felt the power rush from him like a tidal wave and the very air around him seemed to crackle with the abundant energy. From beneath his feet, he felt the heat rise, and suddenly, the dirt in front of him erupted into flames. The fire quickly grew, forcing Jazer to step back against the awesome might of the raging flame. The leave were instantly incinerated, and ground itself seemed to bubble. The heat was overwhelimg. Jazer felt as if his body was going to burst, but as he took another step back, the heat suddenly faded, and a slim wall of magic sperated him form the fire. he looked down at Octavius who was also behind the wall of silvery magic. Jazer's eyes wandered back to the violent spell that raged before him. The ground was bubbling and some sort of steam rose into the air. The ground turned molten and surged back and forth as the steam rose into the air. Then with a sudden flash, the molten ground turned balck, instantly cooling and the steam that had collected in the air quickly collected into a tight cloud and then condesnsed further into a perfect square cube. The cube landed firmly on the blackened ground and with the sound of a whip cracking the silvery wall winked out of existence. There on the ground, was a small cube of clay.
    Jazer hesitantly stepped toward, unsure of his footing on the once molten ground. After finding it stable he cautiously approached the perfect cube. It was about the size of his own head. He inspected form afar at first. Then, he hesitantly prodded it with his boot. It shifted slightly as he poked at it, but ot much. The cube was indeed solid and heavy. He jabbed at it with his finger, quickly drawing the appendage back, but nothing happened.
    Convinced it was safe he hefted it and brought it to his dying friend. He set it infront of Octavius, and instantly the homunocculus's attention was caught, it shifted slightly on the dried leaves, tyring to reach the cube. Jazer slid the cub closer and the creature's tongue, now half broken, streaked across the clay. with a violent shake, its body managed to jump from the ground and latch onto the cube using its brittle teeth. The teeth however, sank into the clay and quickly the creature began to chew on the chunk it had managed to break off. With every bite the creature's hunger became more ferverent. By the time it had gotten through half of the cube, the lines that had spiderwebbed Octaivus's body had all but disappeared. Jazer watched as the clay around the gaping hole in the creature's left side began to melt and reform over the wound. The whirring of gizmos and gears became silent as the holes were covered up.
    Octavius though, continued to eat. And with every bite, the creature grew bigger now. Its body would ripple and the winged slug grew bigger with every ripple of its skin. Jazer watched in amazement as it had grew and with the finally bite, it reched nearly the size of his own pack. Octavius wings now stretched farther then Jazer's arms rcould reach and it stood nearly half his own height. Jazer smiled and using his whole hdan, rubbed between its wings. The high pitched whine was replaced with a guttural purring. Jazer smiled and laughed at this. His creation had grown.
    He took one look back toiward the blackened earth. He had created a spell taht boiled the very land and reduced its temperature back to normal within the span of a minute. He knew how he did it, he just couldn't beleive he had done it.
    His gaze returned to his friend who, now stronger than than the pack was heavy, took off, running across the blackened earth. In Jazer's amusement, he had forgotten something. Octavius now was a lot stronger, and would be more difficult to handle. Jazer took off after it, diving on the pack. Jazer's weght however, only served to slow the homunocculus, not stop it. Jazer went along for the ride.

11. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Octavius whipped around in circles, furiously beating his wings in effort to take off. Despite his efforts, the weight of the pack and Jazer slowed him enough to keep him just above the ground. Jazer held on for dear life as the homunculus enjoyed its new found strength. When Octavius tried to get too far in a straight line however, the forest erupted once again in an explosion of magic. Red burtsof fire popped from every direction. Loud wailing noises echoed between the trees and the wind whisteled amongst the branches at a ferocious speed. Jazer nearly let go of the pack when the magical alarms went off.
    Derek was up now, sword drawn. His head swiveled, looking for what had tripped his alarms, but only found Jazer and Octavius spinning in large circles.
    Derek brought forth a piece of parchment and quickly read the words. The sounds quieted and the firey explosions ceased. He walked over to Jazer, moving with a purpose. Jazer wathed out of the corner of his eye as the man apparoached, but he was too afraid to let go of the pack to dodge Derek's wrath.
    Derek waited as Jazer went around another circle. When the elf came close, he snagged up the scholar and gripped him by the throat, "What in the holy hells do you think you are doing Jazer, playing with your spells this morning?"
    Jazer began to mutter something as his gaze caught the pack being dragged away. It slowly lifted from the ground.
    Derek shook him once more, "Answer me book worm! Do you understand what is going on here, we are in hiding. That alarm spell I used was emergencies noly and you went and spelled your pack to do tricks?"
    Jazer swalllowed slowly and tried to calm himself. When he got his heart rate under control he looked up at Derek and said, "I didn't spell my pack."
    Derek narrowed his eyes, "Yeah right, then why is it flying towards us?"
    Jazer turned his head to see the pack sailing right for him. He looked skyward and saw the Homunculus crashing right toward him. Jazer shoved Derek away and caught the falling beast. Octavius's weight sent Jazer to the ground.
    Jazer winced as he landed, but was happy to have Octavius return to him. Derek on the other hand was mortified by the creature. "What the hell have you been doing?"
    Jazer shrugged, "He was hurt, I had to feed him."
    Derek began to stumble away ,nearly forgetting his sword where it lay. Once he grasped the hilt he pointed it directly at Octavius who seemed oblivious to the unfolding situation. Jazer rose, hefting his large pet. Derek stuttered, "MOve, Jazer, while I run this thing through!"
    Jazer protectivly turned, putting himself between Derek and Octavius. "You are not going to hurt him!"
    Derek shook his head, "That thing is a monster, monsters must be slain, now move!"
    Jazer still did not move.
    Derek lowered his blade and calmly walked forward, "Alright, I am sorry Jazer, let us just get the hell out of here." He put a hand on Jazer's shoulder. Jazer smiled and turned, but as he did, Derek curled his hand into a fist and slammed it into the elf's cheek. Jazer went sprawling, releasing the homunculus. Derek prepared to chase it but instead, the thing landed on the ground and turned toward Derek. It began to utter a guttural growl, baring clay teeth. It took a step toward Derek. The man stepped backward in response. Jazer propped himself up and said, "Derek, I know it may frighten you but it is here to protect me now, so you had better leave it and me alone!"
    The darkhaired man lowered his sword once more and then sheathed it, ignoring the growling from the slug creature. "Keep that thing away from me."
    Jazer realized he had been holding his breath and slowly exhaled. He glanced over toward Octavius who had begun rolling in the leaves. Jazer smiled, "It looks like you and I are a team now."
    end of chapter

12. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    The next few days went much the same way. Every night Jazer would recast the invisibility spell and it would last for most of the day. Derek's uneasiness had become borderline paranoia. He constantly looked over his shoulder and his hand never strayed too far from the handle of his dagger. Even the random passersby gave him odd looks as Derek's crazed look fell upon them. Jazer however was having the time of his life. Slowly the shapes in the trees became just that, shapes. Not every rock or bush had an assassin or monster behind it. Not every traveler was actually a demon anymore. He even enjoyed the warm sun on his skin.
    For two weeks the pair traveled, barely speaking more than a few words to each other. Jazer didn't mind, Derek never had anything good to say anyway. The only thing that bugged him was his inability to sit down and study Octavius further. Now that he knew more about to him, the secrets to the sentient life were that much closer.
    The day it rained however, things took a turn for the worst. The pouring rain had forced the pair off the road at an inopportune point. The forest that they had been passing the past two weeks had faded and was now replaced by a bog. They found shelter in the twisted dead branches of once might trees and there they had to sit out the storm. What had started as a thick rain quickly grew into a thunderstorm. Jazer knew he was running low on spare pieces of parchment and they would have to resort to normal means of living. Knowing this, he volunteered to go collect some dry firewood before the storm saturated the area. Derek didn't say a word in response, so Jazer left.
    He climbed out of the fallen carcass of a tree and quickly began to look for what he needed. The grey sky was quickly becoming dark and Jazer knew his time was limited, so he moved at a faster pace. He quietly navigated the bog, avoiding the slowly swelling pools where he could. It took him nearly half of the hour to find a suitable dry branch. Jazer set his pack down next to the branch and began to try and think. He thought going out to get firewood would be simple, but he did not have an axe to wield. He knew what he had to do, so he began rifling through his pack and brought out the last sheets of parchment left.
    There were a dozen left. He shook his head and stuffed the papers back in. He sorted through the remainder of the already made spells but didn't find anything suitable. He looked around the branch which was so carefully hidden under a fallen tree. Off in the distance there was a small knoll and a large rock. Jazer stared at it and wiped away the raindrops from his glasses. The large rock sat there unobtrusively blending in to the surroundings. Jazer smiled as he began to think of a plan. He dashed out into the rain and navigated the pools once more.
    The rock was maybe the size of his head and it was particularly heavy, but Jazer managed to lift it and bring it back to the branch. The branch itself was bent at many angles and didn't look particularly strong. Jazer lifted the rock above his head and dropped it on one of the bent pieces of wood. The branch easily snapped. The rock landed with a thud next to Jazer. The elf smiled to himself for his ingenuity and continued to throw the rock at the branches, breaking more of them into a manageable size. The rock landed with a thud every time, and it almost became rhythmic. Once Jazer had finished, he began to collect up the pieces of wood, but off in the distance he heard something. A deep resonating thud echoed back and forth through the bog. Jazer felt his breath quicken as the thudding grew closer. It was rhythmic and getting louder. The elf quickly began to back away from the sound and turned to run.
    He clutched the firewood for dear life as he exited the small shelter where the branch had laid, as he did though, he heard it, the guttural roar. He turned, not seeing anything in the darkness at first. A flash of lightning revealed it though. The beast was standing atop the fallen tree, slowly tapping its large club against the trunk. It stared at Jazer through beady black eyes. The long tangle mane ran from its forehead down to its back and covered its limbs as well. The snout was long and canine in appearance. The long thick arms hefted the impressively large club with the greatest of ease. Every breath it took seemed to shake the ground where Jazer stood.
    The rain poured down onto the two as they continued to stare. Jazer began to panic and his chest heaved uncontrollably while the creature's breath slowed. For a moment it stopped breathing, and Jazer could see in the lightning flash that its muscles became tense and its knees bent slightly. It was preparing to strike. Jazer turned to run, dropping the firewood in place as he did though the beast sprung, much quicker than the elf. It closed the distance between the two before Jazer made it five steps. It snatched him up and turned the elf around.
    Jazer struggled against the mighty grip but the creature's meaty hand wrapped almost completely around his torso. The beast was easily twice Jazer's height and held him without any sign of letting go. Jazer struggled as the creature opened its mouth for yet another guttural roar. Jazer would have vomited from the stench if it wasn't for large curved teeth that lined the inside of the creature's mouth. Jazer stopped struggling, too scared to move.
    Another roar came from behind him, this one not so guttural. Jazer cocked his head sideways as Derek slammed his blade into the creature's chest. The sword bit only a few inches into the beasts muscle and Derek was left nearly hanging from the hilt of the blade. The beast recoiled, letting Jazer go and back-handed Derek, who landed with a crash in a nearby puddle. The sword still stuck out of the creature's chest.
    Jazer dropped to the ground and quickly swung his pack around. He fished out the scrolls and began to read them off immediately. He did not pause to figure out which was which, and his mind could not recall the order in which he put them.
    As Jazer quickly crammed through the multitude of spells, the entire bog erupted in chaos. Fallen limbs began to walk of their own accord, red bursts of fire lit up the night sky, the sword began to glow bright white color, and Jazer himself began to levitate into the air. As each spell was cast, the parchment faded into ash and soon Jazer had only a few left, but he remembered which ones these were, he had left them in the back on purpose.
    The beast was stunned by the surprising display of magic and began to swing his club wildly at the walking branches and bursts of fire. Jazer was now well out of the creatures reach as he shouted the words to the final three spells. A bright white light erupted from the papers and slammed into the beast. The force of the first impact threw the creature off balance and the following two bursts drove it to the ground. It lay there for only a moment and then began to rise once more. Before it managed to though, an invisible force slammed it back into the ground. It clawed at its own neck, and suddenly it appeared as if its skin burst, spewing blood onto the already soaked ground. Giant pieces of flesh began to be torn away in various locations. The best did not know what to do as something devoured it from the outside. Jazer smiled, Octavius had shown up. Derek was now back in the fight as well, leaping on the beast, retrieving his sword and driving it into the best again and again. Quickly the creature lay still, but Octavius still continued to devour it. Jazer smiled from where he was as the magic began to fade from the area. The limbs went still the red bursts ceased, the glow from the sword faded. Jazer realized too late what was coming next.
    The elf plummeted thirty feet down toward the bog. The moist ground did little to soften the blow and Jazer felt pain shoot up and down his leg. Derek rushed toward him as Jazer's vision began to grow dark. The last thing he felt was the cold water from the bog as he sunk face first into the puddle

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011
  13. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Feb 22nd

Jazer's mind seemed to swell like the ocean. Sometimes simple thoughts took outlandish amounts of time to transgress the void in his subconscious. At other times, everything became a swirling vortex and the power behind it racked his body with pain, but allowed him to open his eyes.
    At first, the image he saw was their campsite in the rain and a worried Derek. He was busy doing something over Jazer, but before the elf could figure out what, he slipped back into the void. The next time he regained consciousness, all he saw was the moving sky. The grey clouds hung low and threatened to spill the rain downward. On more than one occasion, Jazer felt the tiny droplets hit him, but he couldn't see them. He awoke once more and this time he could hear. It seemed almost an alien concept, being able to receive sound waves from the world around him. All he did hear though was the furious thundering of hooves and the creaking of wheels.
    Jazer stirred once more, but this time the cold air didn't nip at his exposed skin. Instead, he felt warm. He opened his eyes and the noise returned. This time though, it was the voices of two men.
    "He is feverish from the wound, why didn't you clean it?"
    "With what, my dirty hands, or blood soaked clothing?"
    "If I do this you know what it is going to cost."
    "I do."
    There was a slight pause and then Derek stepped into view. He gave his normal grin that use to make Jazer uncomfortable, but now it seemed warming. "You are given us quite a scare. Now, be good and stop dying."
    The joke made Jazer want to laugh, but his body was still unresponsive. He slowly slipped back into unconsciousness, the darkness reaching for him. It almost did at a couple junctures, but for some reason it stayed back, biding its time. The pain slowly became excruciating. It felt as if every vein in his body was being quickly ripped from its resting place over and over again. He felt like death would be a better option. Then, slowly, everything began to subside. He couldn't even control his thoughts anymore.
    They seemed to race uncontrollably of their own accord. Images began to fly through his mind. Of his childhood, his studies, his mentors, Octavius's birth. Then it snapped back though to the childhood. There were other children there. Jazer himself had one other sibling, but in these images there were many. This had to be many years ago. The other children looked to be no more than thirty to forty years old. It was shortly thereafter that Jazer went to the academy, and there he had spent nearly forty years training with no result.
    He watched the children move about and play, and watched as human children were scattered among them. The human children would grow right before his eyes, quickly becoming adults in a fraction of the time, while the others continued to play. Jazer had envied his human friends, they were respected members of the community and Jazer was just an elven child. He spent all of his time wishing to be grown up, and now, almost a hundred years later, he had done so. Only to become a hermit, forgetting what was important in life. He looked at the images once more and found that next to him, there was always another elven child. She had been there for sixty years by his side until he decided to forsake everything and go learn magic. What was her name? He looked at her auburn that ran down to her shoulders and that simple smile. It seemed the more time passed, the more beautiful she became. Yet Jazer could not remember her name. His mind began to slip once more, but this time he fought to regain control. He wanted to see her face, she was sad now, tears weeping for a loss of a loved one. The image of her crying face came from the day Jazer left. He had turned to look back one last time and there she had been, standing in the street. Jazer's own ambition had blinded him, and the veil was now lifted. He had left someone behind, in favor of his research. Forty years later and he never went back, and now her name escaped him. The images began to fade, and with one last struggle he retained the image of her face, tears still streaking. Her name was...
    "Annabelle"
    The words rolled across his lips in the softest whisper. He became acutely aware of his surroundings. He lay on something soft, covered in fur. The crackling of a nearby fire and the warmth of the air around him told him he was inside a home, and it was probably night. The sounds revealed one, no, two men sitting at a table. Metal mugs were being used, and a hushed conversation. Judging by the tone, one man was upset, one was having a good time of things.
    Jazer's mind hurt from the sudden processing of information. He didn't understand what had just transpired but from a few seconds of listening he was able to discern all of the details of his surroundings. It hurt, but he almost enjoyed it. Knowing without seeing, something he had never done or even tried before.
    Jazer slowly sat up, letting the blanket of fur slide off of him. He turned to see Derek speaking with a short man. The man had a great beard that stretched down to his belt line, but the brown hair didn't reach the top of the balding head. His flat nose seemed to blend into his face unobtrusively and his barrel chest seemed too large for his squat legs, though they too were abnormally large. He was not a man, but a dwarf.
    Derek's face was red with anger, but upon seeing Jazer, the red color faded, replaced with his usual complexion. Derek looked to be wearing a traveling cloak over his black leather, which had been cleaned at some point. Jazer's eyes however did not leave the dwarf. He wore simple cotton colored shirt and brown pants. Behind him on the chair was a brown hooded robe, looking inexpensive, however the leather cord that lay on it contained a small red pouch.
    Derek smiled, "Good morning Jazer, this is-"
    "Gifford, dwarf healer and a former counterpart." Jazer's mind raced once more uncontrollably, the headache it brought grew increasingly painful.
    The con artist looked taken aback, "Yes... you must have been semi conscious during one of our discussions."
    Jazer knew that wasn't true, he had read the body language and watched the surrounding. Derek had been looking the dwarf in the eyes, his anger was not directed at the dwarf though. The healer had been smiling at Derek's peril, not in a malicious way, but more in an all-knowing way. The healer saw this coming. The red pouch was simple enough, it was a spell component pouch made of reinforced hide. It held everything a magic user needed to perform his spells. That explained why Jazer was still alive. And as for the name, there was a letter on the shelf behind the dwarf. The parchment was bent in three ways, so Jazer could only manage to read select parts. The dwarf had family, he was sending money.
    "So, he tells me you fancy yourself a wizard." The dwarf spoke, his voice lighter than Jazer expected from his kind. "The name is Gifford Brandstock, the local healer."
    Jazer's headache slowly began to subside. His vision began to blur. The two men became indiscernible as Jazer squinted. He shook his head and asked, "Where are my glasses?"
    Derek exhaled slowly as he rose, "They are on the table in front of you, I swear Jazer, and without your glasses you are blind. You should write a spell to fix that."
    Jazer felt around and snatched up his glasses. After they rested on the bridge of his nose, he could see the scene once more. It was as before, but this time he couldn't discern that there was even a letter on the shelf. From where he stood it looked like a simple piece of paper with writing.
    Jazer slowly got up and moved toward the table. The cold wooden floor helped to wake him. Gifford offered up a seat to the elf. Jazer took it without question. Once more he scanned the room, picking up any details he had missed before. The stairs in the back rose into the darkness. All of the windows had shutters on the interior, all of which were closed. The door next to the stairs was large and reinforced with metal brackets. A multitude of locks rose from the floor. On Jazer's right, next to where the desk with the letter lay, was another doorway but no door. An abundantly large kitchen was hidden in the shadow, but Jazer saw clearly enough. Around the room were several trophies from hunts. A boar's head here, an orc's head there and several other creatures, but Jazer couldn't discern them without attracting attention. Installed into the wall near the front door were about a dozen hooks. Half of them bore cloaks, and a couple of the cloaks were still dripping.
    Jazer's headache flared once more. Despite his vision receding, his perception had not. The entire inspection of the room had taken no more than a second. Jazer looked toward Gifford once more and said, "I am not a wizard, I write spells, but not a wizard."
    The dwarf cracked a smile beneath the brown beard, "If you can teach that one to read magic, then you must be some kind of arcane genius!" Gifford laughed at his own joke while Derek joined the dwarf in his cheer.
    Jazer relaxed a little more. If the dwarf felt comfortable enough to crack jokes at Derek's expense, then he must be a trusted friend.
    Jazer cleared his throat, "Where are we?"
    Derek spoke this time, still standing beside the table. "We are in the town of Haven Falls. Now if you'll excuse me I have a bit of business to attend to."
    Derek wrapped his cloak tightly around his body as he unlocked the half a dozen locks. Then he quietly stepped out into the rain and with an audible click, the door shut and the locks was automatically set back into place.
    Jazer looked down at himself, he was wearing a white robe that itched against his skin, but he figured it was better than the alternative. After a few quiet moments Jazer looked back toward the dwarf who was eyeing him very sternly.
    Gifford's voice now shifted, a bit deeper and a bit angrier, "You may be able to fool that crook, but you can't fool me elf, you are a magic user and there is a bit of power in you. Now, why don't you tell ol' Gifford why you be lying." He set his mug down firmly.
    Jazer shrugged, "I went to the academy for magic training but after forty years I didn't manage a single spell."
    He looked away from the dwarf, now feeling uncomfortable under his scrutinizing gaze. Gifford continued, "I don't think you are lying, mainly because the chair you’re sitting in is spelled."
    Jazer's eyes went wide as he leapt from the chair. The stiffness in his body caused him pain, but he ignored it as he stared at the plain looking wooden chair. There was nothing amiss with it, but as soon as Jazer willed it, his vision changed. The world had a new blue hue to it, and upon the chair was a tiny golden circle with strange markings. Jazer didn't know how he knew it, but the intricate pattern of symbols and characters designed a spell that prevents Jazer from lying. It was a harmless spell, but Jazer instead took Derek's old seat. HIs vision slowly drew back to normal. The headache became fiercer though, and Jazer couldn't help but wince in pain.
    Gifford bellow a laugh. "Look at you, you truly have no idea what you are doing?"
    Jazer looked up through one eye, the other shut against the pain. "I don't know what you are talking about!"
    Gifford smiled and aid, "No, you don't. And that explains your lack of control, sorcerer.”

14. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Feb 23

Jazer quickly shook his head, "No I think you must be mistaken."
    Gifford took another swig of his drink and smiled, "There be no mistake, you lad, are a sorcerer. That would be explaining everything."The elf began to scan the room once more, looking for anything that might aid him if the dwarf's insanity turned messy. Gifford continued, "You know how a normal body works when it is in danger?"
    Jazer's focus returned to the dwarf whose beady brown eyes seemed to chill him to the core. He stammered, "No...no I don't I am not a healer."
    "Well I am" the dwarf said with a look of pride, "And I know that when the body comes into a dangerous situation, it collects energy from every reserve it can. Stored within every section of the body, we have energy built up. Generally it is used for day to day functions, but our bodies can tap into that energy and use it to defend itself."
    The elf's eyes narrowed slightly, "You are telling me that everyone has some secret power they can tap into to do magic?"
    The look on Gifford's face made Jazer feel like a child. "No, listen to what I be saying before you jump to conclusions. This is a natural effect, not magic. And your mind can't get into this energy, only your body can. Just like your mind can't will your heart to beat or your wounds to close. That be the body's job."
    "So what does this have to do with me, if everyone can do it?" Jazer drummed his fingers on the table. When he realized he was doing so, he immediately stopped and looked flustered.
    Gifford ignored him and continued, "You went to be trained at the academy you said? To be a wizard?"
    Jazer nodded.
    "Well that makes sense that you failed. You tried to go about magic the way any old fool would, through hard work and study."
    "How is that the way a fool would do it, that sounds like a good principle in any aspect of life?" Jazer rubbed at his temples, willing the pain to go away. It subsided only a little.
    "Yes there is the 'hard work' method. However, then there is raw talent." Gifford downed what was left of his mug. He got up and began moving to the kitchen, before he crossed the threshold though; he turned to look at Jazer, "Tea?"Jazer tried to figure out what the dwarf was saying for a few seconds, but quickly nodded. He returned then with two piping hot, large mugs and set one in front of Jazer. The elf sipped on the liquid and felt it slowly drip down his throat. The tea felt hot is in hands and the steam that rose from it almost hurt his face, but the liquid itself was soothing and the taste was sweet.
    Gifford smiled and said, "You can teach anyone to paint and paint well. They may even make a living off of it but only an artist can create a masterpiece. Do you understand what I am saying?"
    Jazer shrugged, "A little, but wouldn't the artist benefit from training?"
    "Yes and no." The dwarf stroked his beard as he sat back, thinking. "It has to do with the way we think. If someone believes will all of their heart that the chicken created the egg, and then you come along and the first thing you try to teach is the egg was the originator, then they are like to reject your way of thinking out of hand." He leaned forward, "Derek tells me you are adept with magic, but not in the conventional way. You write spells right? How is it you manage that?"
    After drinking more of the soothing tea, Jazer said, "Well, I learned the magical language, but that isn't enough. I can translate the magic into it." He looked up at Gifford, but the dwarf looked entirely confused. Jazer swallowed and started again. "I don't see magic as some unseen force with no origination, because it isn't."
    "No?" Gifford stroked his beard once more. "Be careful who you say that around, there be a priest or two that would hang you for such a comment."
    Jazer shrugged, "Well it isn't, it is mathematics. Every spell I have ever seen, I can break down in my mind to the base and simple mathematics of it."
    Gifford leaned forward, "Really? Like numbers, ones and twos?"
    Jazer smiled, "Yes, but a bit more complicated. I take the equations and algorithms and translate them into the language of magic. Then I write it down and the spell I envisioned comes into being."
    Gifford laughed once more, "Are you serious lad? Simple math, ya' be crazy." He sipped on his tea and Jazer felt incredibly ignorant as the dwarf enjoyed the soothing brew. He set the mug down and shrugged, "I suppose that everyone views it a bit different, and that would explain why you didn't take to it in formal training. Lad, you may never have the conscious capability to use magic, because no one thinks like you do and so there is no one to teach it." Jazer frowned. "Sorry lad, but the first wizards took hundreds of years and thousands of tribal rituals to just make a spark. They had to learn on their own. You are a young elf of what a hundred and ten, hundred and thirty? You have plenty of time, but then again, the answers may never come."
    Jazer’s head hurt once more from all the information, "Then how do you know I even have talent?"
    Gifford smiled and said, "That goes back to the thing I said earlier about the body. Normal people have the ability to tap the energy. You are one of the ones who have magic in those reserves." Jazer raised one eyebrow slowly, but Gifford ignored him, "Whenever you are in danger, your body reacts but summoning forth every bit of magic flowing in your veins and uses it to its full extent, I bet your head is throbbing after the recent events."
    Jazer smiled at this and said, "Yes, it has been nearly unbearable, but I am feeling better."
    "Good, then the tea has started to work." Gifford smiled and before Jazer could say anything the dwarf said, "I am a healer, wouldn't be good at my job if I couldn't tell what was wrong. And as for how I knew, when I went to work with healing you, I quickly realized you should have been long dead." He paused at this, letting it sink in.
    Jazer tried to think back to the journey here. It had probably been several days and infection has been known to kill quickly, depending on the severity.
    "The infection though, was being fought off by magic, your magic. By the nine, it even tried to fight off my aid. I also noticed, though some spell casting of my own, that you have been casting several spells after waking, meaning your body is still trying to fight something off and is now reacting to the environment."
    Jazer looked down at the robe he was wearing, trying to see through it to his leg. "My leg was injured, is it fully healed, and it feels a bit stiff, but not more than that."
    The healer sighed, "No, I know exactly what is wrong and I will tell you shortly, despite Derek's wishes. I am letting you know about all of this, so when the time comes you are not scared of yourself, and you might be able to channel your magic at least in the right direction. But by no means can you depend on it, or it will fail you."
    Jazer pushed the empty mug away from himself, "What do you mean, when the time comes, and what is wrong with me?"
    The dwarf's friendly demeanor quickly faded, replaced by a sterner one, "Lad, I want you to relax, my services aren't free, and it is not by my choosing that you must do this."
    "What Gifford, tell me what is going on"
    "Derek and I know each other, because we belonged to the same gang of ruffians and thieves." He held up his meaty hand, "Don't go judging, I have people depending on me for coin, and freelance healer does not do well in these parts. To use my services as a healer, like any other person, Derek had to pay, and when he couldn't pay, he had to trade. It is the law set down by our leader."
    The elf began to panic, but grow angry at the same time, "What did he trade Gifford?"
    After rubbing at his face in frustration, Gifford sighed and said, "You two have to join the gang for a job or two, and after that you are done."
    Jazer set back, letting his hammering heart slow itself, "Oh is that all, I have been working with Derek for a long time, it won't be so bad."
    Gifford's neck muscles tensed for a moment and then relaxed, "Well let us see what you see when I de-spell your memory."
    Jazer's heart, which had just slowed to a normal pace, starting beating hard against his chest, "You did what?"
    "He told me to do it, so you would be calm. I am releasing you now, because no one should be forced to forget anything lest mistakes be repeated." Gifford punctuated his words a fist slamming onto the table.
    Jazer forced himself to calm once more, "Show me what I have forgotten."
    "Okay." The dwarf's eyes flared wide open and then resumed their normal look, instantly it felt as if a veil had been lifted on Jazer's mind.
    He whispered "Octavius."

15. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Feb 24
    The elf crashed into the door, the hunges holding fast agains the minuscle weight that was thrust upon it. Jazer began fumbling with the locks, trying to unlock each one, but as he unlocked one, two more would reset. He began to panic as his attempts were becomming increasingly futile. Sweat began to drip from his forehead as he made attempt after attempt.
    "You are never going to figure it out." Gifford was standing now, thrusting o his brown cloak. "You might as well give up."
    Jazer's mind began to race beyond control, he coudln't handle the intensity of the speed as thoughts hammered inside of his skull. He cluthced at his head, the pressure building up. Jazer knew what this was now, he was tapping the magic reFeb 24
    The elf crashed into the door, the hinges holding fast against the minuscule weight that was thrust upon it. Jazer began fumbling with the locks, trying to unlock each one, but as he unlocked one, two more would reset. He began to panic as his attempts were becoming increasingly futile. Sweat began to drip from his forehead as he made attempt after attempt.
    "You are never going to figure it out." Gifford was standing now, thrusting o his brown cloak. "You might as well give up."
    Jazer's mind began to race beyond control, he couldn’t handle the intensity of the speed as thoughts hammered inside of his skull. He clutched at his head, the pressure building up. Jazer knew what this was now, he was tapping the magic reserve. He couldn't control it, but he could aim it.
    Gifford's eyes began to flare a bright gold, "Lad, do not tap that power! I am warning you!"
    Before Gifford could manage to finish his breath and invisible force slammed into his gut, causing the dwarf to double over.
    Jazer withdrew the outstretched hand. His eyes were unable to close. His gaze became all knowing as he broke down the components of everything around him. The stairs were made of thin wood, but reinforced with copper brackets. The wall itself was made of the same expensive wood, and each support beam that lay beneath it was reinforced. In-between them however, was a gap in the strength. Jazer moved surely, his fingers tracing outlines in the air. As the outstretched finger grazed against the wooden wall, a faint blue light was traced upon the surface. The magic seemed to glow from within, as if a lantern of blue flame was just behind the magically drawn lines. As soon as he finished drawing the intricate pattern, he muttered something in the strange language of magic. As he did, the light flared and turned a ghostly white. Seconds later, a small explosion was heard and the light faded from the inscribed patter, and then the wall exploded outward. Jazer stepped though the gaping hole out into the rain. His vision once again gained a sheen of bluish hue. Little lights danced off in the distance, pathetic sources of magic. As he gazed to his right however, the bog came into view. About a hundred yards away, the twisted wreckage of trees began once more, and lying underneath the heap of shattered limbs and bent trees was something, waiting. It glowed brightly against the blue hue in Jazer's eyes. The elf took off into the night, the pounding in his head had subsided to a dull pain.
    His legs pumped faster as his breath became quick. He didn't remember the last time he had felt the exhilaration of running, but the moment of bliss was interrupted as he approached the glowing object. The world slowed to a crawl as Jazer studied the creature. It was huge. The slug-like creature was no longer a round pile of clay. Its body had extended as well as expanded. The eyeless face stared at Jazer, as if imploring him to help it. The wings fluttered quickly one, but the sudden gust of air that they had brought forth nearly sent Jazer to the ground. All in all, the wings extended Jazer's own height in each direction. The body itself was nearly as tall as he, but the tail like growth was the size of a horse. Jazer's mind slowly retraced the steps backward, to the bog.
    Octavius had been eating the shaggy beast, to defend Jazer. Octavius had devoured that creature of flesh and therefore had grown. For once, Octavius found something he would eat besides other pieces of clay. And it was flesh.
    "Dear gods, what I am going to do with you?" Jazer stroked the creature near where its temple would be. In response it let loose a low whine, the mouth opening slightly. The inside of Octavius mouth had grown moist, and the teeth were no longer angular shards, but made of bone.
    "Jazer!" The elf turned to see Derek sprinting toward him, the traveling cloak long forgotten. He looked to be out of breath, but Jazer's vision wasn't watching him, it was attracted to the glowing man behind him. Derek yelled again, "Jazer! Get back here! I will explain everything."
    Jazer yelled, "Stay back! Or will burn you where you stand!" He razed a hand toward Derek and the man, but only Derek stopped, afraid of what the elf could do. The other man though, approached without the cautious pause.
    He spoke, his voice seeming to grind its way up through his throat. "Jazer, why don't you come inside, we have a great deal to discuss." He lifted his robed arm and a gauntleted hand was outstretched. Jazer couldn't make out the man's features due to the oppressive glow, but he appeared to be full armored beneath the white robe.
    Jazer lifted his right hand, and sheltered Octavius with his left. "You will not harm him, I will torch you!" Jazer's own determination began to waiver. He couldn't feel the power building inside. This was a moment of need, he needed to be able to protect his creation. He called to the power, but his insides felt hollow.
    The man's laugh chilled Jazer to the bone. He spoke once more, this time through gritted teeth, "You don't have a choice." The man's glow quickly relocated itself in his chest. It is as if all of the light in his limbs shot into his torso. As quickly as it had gathered though, it moved down his right arm and the spell ignited. Jazer knew what was coming, he didn't know how he knew, but he knew the missile was fiery in origin, and could kill him. Jazer prepared to dive out of the way, but the sudden shriek form behind him distracted him. A blinding pain erupted in his left hand as he was drug downwards. Jazer hit the soaking wet ground and watched as the projectile of inferno slammed into Octavius. The creature roared and tried to shake the fire off, but as it did, drops of clay began to sail in every direction. Jazer looked at his hand to see four fingers were missing. The pain slowly took hold and his mind began to blank. He watched as Octavius slowed in his efforts. The mighty wings flapped, destroying the trees around it. The last thing Jazer saw, was the gears turning in the creatures face, and the bones that lay beneath the clay.

Jazer awoke once more in the house, but his time he didn't feel groggy. Just pain. Excruciating pain in his left hand. As he rose once more, he realized there was a chain attached to his right hand. A manacle had been slapped on him. Jazer hesitated to open his eyes, not wanting to view the grim situation, but he did so anyway, and he was greeted by an entirely different scene. Derek and Gifford sat where they had, but they were now joined by two others at the table. A pale skinned man with shaggy brown hair sat on the far side of the table. His grin widened when Jazer saw him. His yellowed teeth looked almost canine in appearance. He wore nothing but longhaired fur in the guise of normal traveling clothes. Closer to Jazer was a short man, possibly a child. It wore a stone-gray cape with a high neck, preventing Jazer from seeing anything but the light brown hair underneath. On top of his head sat a small black top hat that seemed almost out of place. His feet didn't even reach the floor, and his cape was too long as evident by the mud that stuck to the lower edges. On the stairs sat a woman. She was toying with a blade on her fingertips, achieving impossible balance with little effort. She was dressed in full black clothing that fit snug on her body. Lining her belt was a multitude of knives. On the leg Jazer could see, she had strapped a larger dagger to her thigh, and it looked as if she did the same on the other one as well. The only thing that seemed strange though, was the white hair the strolled down from her head in a tangled pattern. Her eyes though, were sharp, as were the rest of her facial features. The tips of her ears hinted at elven descent, but Jazer could not be sure.
    Jazer slowly turned his head and the seat opposite his was the man from earlier, his white robe cast aside. The man himself was not just a man. He was much larger than Jazer first realized, and from his bottom lip jutted two small tusks. The beast was bald save for the black beard that stretched from just beneath its pointed ears down to the outsides of its powerful chin. The eyes were not that of a monster though, they were a crystal blue which seemed almost off setting. The beast wore plate armor over his entire body. Jazer wasn't sure how the man had managed to sit on anything without destroying it due to sheer weight. The armor itself was creased with red streaks etched into a rhythmic pattern on every piece of the plate. They hummed with power of magic. Like the rune that Jarkal had inscribed on the wall, it was as if a lantern of crimson red was lighting the void beneath the runes on his armor. They only pulsed with color once though and then lay dormant while Jazer studied them
    serve. He couldn't control it, but he could aim it.
    Gifford's eyes began to flare a bright gold, "Lad, do not tap that power! I am warning you!"
    Before Gifford could manage to finish his breath and invisible force slammed into his gut, causing the dwarf to double over.
    Jazer withdrew the outsteacht hand. His eyes unable to close. His gaze became all knowing as he broke down the componenets of everything around him. The stairs were made of thin wood, but reinforced with copper brackats. The wall itself was made of the same expensive wood, and each support beam that lay beneath it was reinforced. Inbetween them however, was a gap in the strength. Jazer moved surely, his fingers tracing outlines in the air. As the outstretched finger grazed agains the wooden wall, a faint blue light was traced upon the surface. The magic seemed to glow from within, as if a lantern of blue flame was just behind the magically drawn lines. As soon as he finished drawing the intricate pattern, he muttered somehting in the strange language of magic. As he did, the light flared and turned a ghostly white. Seconds later, a small explosion was heard and the light faded from the inscribed patter, and then the wall exploded outward. Jazer stepped though the gaping hole out into the rain. His vision once again gained a sheen of bluish hue. Little lights danced off in the distance, pathetic sources of magic. As he gazed to his right however, the bog came into view. About a hundred yards away, the twisted wreckage of trees began once more, and laying underneath the heap of shattered limbs and bent trees was something, waiting. It glowed brightly against the blue hue in Jazer's eyes. The elf took off into the night, the pounding in his head had subsided to a dull pain.
    His legs pumped faster as his breath became quick. He didn't remember the last time he had felt the exhilaration of running, but the moment of bliss was interrupted as he approached the glowing object. The world slowed to a crawl as Jazer studied the creatue. It was huge. The slug-like creature was no longer a round pile of clay. Its body had extended as wel ass expanded. The eyeless face stared at Jazer, as if imploring him to help it. The wings fluttered quickly one, but the sudden gust of air that they had brough forth nearly sent Jazer to the ground. All in all, the wings extended Jazer's own height in eahc direction. The body itself was nearly as tall as he, but the tail like growth was the size of a horse. Jazer's mind slowly retraced the steps backward, to the bog.
    Octavius had been eating the shaggy beast, to defend Jazer. Octavius had devoured that creature of flesh and therefore had grown. For once, Octavius found something he would eat besides other pieces of clay. And it was flesh.
    "Dear gods, what I am going to do with you?" Jazer stroked the creature near where its temple would be. In response it let loose a low whine, the mouth opening slightly. The inside of Octavius mouth had grown moist, and the teeth were no longer angular shards, but made of bone.
    "Jazer!" The elf turned to see Derek sprinting toward him, the traveling cloak long forgotten. He looked to be out of breath, but Jazer's vision wasn't watching him, it was attracted to the glowing man behind him. Derek yelled again, "Jazer! Get back here! I will explain everything."
    Jazer yelled, "Stay back! Or will burn you where you stand!" He razed a hand toward Derek and the man, but only Derek stopped, afraid of what the elf could do. The other man though, approached without the cautious pause.
    He spoke, his voice seeming to grind its way up through his throat. "Jazer, why don't you come inside, we have a great deal to discuss." He lifted his robed arm and a gauntletted hand was outstreatched. Jazer couldn't make out the man's features due to the opressive glow, but he appeared to be full armored beneath the white robe.
    Jazer lifted his right hand, and sheltered Octavius with his left. "You will not harm him, I will torch you!" Jazer's own determination began to waiver. He couldn't feel the power building inside. This was a moment of need, he needed to be able to protect his creation. He called to the power, but his insides felt hollow.
    The man's laugh chilled Jazer to the bone. He spoke once more, this time through gritted teeth, "You don't have a choice." The man's glow quickly relocated itself in his chest. it is as if all of the light in his limbs shot into his torso. As quickly as it had gathered though, it moved down his right arm and the spell ignited. Jazer knew what was comming, he didn't know how he knew, but he knew the missile was fiery in origin, and could kill him. Jazer prepared to dive out of the way, but the sudden shreik form behind him distracted him. A blinding pain erupted in his left hand as he was drug downwards. Jazer hit the soaking wet ground and watched as the projectil of inferno slammed into Octavius. The creature roared and tried to shake the fire off, but as it did, drops of clay began to sail in every direction. Jazer looked at his hand to see four fingers were missing. The pain slowly took hold and his mind began to blank. He watched as Octavius slowed in his efforts. The mighty wings flapped, destorying the trees around it. The last thing Jazer saw, was the gears turning in the creatures face, and the bones that lay beneath the clay.

Jazer awoke once more in the house, but his time he didn't feel groggy. Just pain. excruciating pain in his left hand. As he rose once more, he realized there was a chain attached to his right hand. A manacle had been slapped on him. Jazer hesitated to open his eyes, not wanting to view the grim stuation, but he did so anyway, and he was greeted by an entirely different scene. Derek and Gifford sat where they had, but they were now joined by two others at the table. A pale skinned man with shaggy brown hair sat on the far side of the table. His grin widened when Jazer saw him. His yellowed teeth looked almost canine in appearance. He wore nothing but longhaired fur in the guise of normal traveling clothes. Closer to Jazer was a short man, possiblly a child. It wore a stonegrey cape with a high neck, preventing Jazer from seeing anything but the light brown hair underneath. Ontop of his head sat a small black top hat That seemed almost out of place. His feet didn't even reach the floor, and his cape was too long as evident by the mud that stuck to the lower edges. On the stairs sat a woman. She was toying with a blade on her fingertips, achieveing impossible balance with little effort. She was dressed in full black clothing that fit snug on her body. Liningher belt were a multitude of knives. On the leg Jazer could see, she had strapped a larger dagger to her thigh, and it looked as if she did the same on the other one as well. The only thing that seemed strange though, was the white hair the strolled down from her head in a tangled pattern. Her eyes though. were sharp, as were the rest of her facial features. the tips of her ears hinted at elven descent, but Jazer could not be sure.
    Jazer slowly turne dhis head and the seat opposite his was the man from earlier, his white robe cast aside. The man himself was not just a man. He was much larger than Jazer first realized, and from his bottom lip jutted two small tusks. The beast was bald save for the blakc beard that stretched from just beneath its pointed ears down to the outsides of its powerful chin. The eyes were not that of a monster though, they were a crystal blue which seemed almost off setting. The beast wore plate armor over his entire body. Jazer wasn't sure how the man had managed to sit on anything without destroying it due to sheer weight. The armor itself was creased with red streaks etched into a rythmic pattern on every piece of the plate. They hummed with powe rof magic. Like the rune that Jarkal had inscribed on the wall, it was as if a lantern of crimsom red was lighting thevoid beneath the runes on his armor. They only pulsed with color once though and then lay dormant while jazer studied them

Last edited: Feb 24, 2011
  16. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Feb 25

“About time you woke.”
    His voice was still gruff, but it seemed calmer now than it had during the storm outside. Jazer’s blood still ran cold with every word that passed his lips. He tried to shake the fear echoing in his heart. He swallowed the forming the lump that had begun forming in his throat, “What do you want with me?”
    Surprisingly, the man smiled, baring his pointed teeth. “You should be more concerned with what you want from us.”
    Jazer turned and looked at the others in the room, but their gazes all fell on him. Derek and Gifford had blank expressions, but the man in animal skins and the woman were grinning wickedly. The child though had not turned. Jazer stared at him for a moment longer before turning back to the beast next to him. “Okay, what is it you can give me?”

The man licked his lips quickly as he continued to smile, “That is the spirit Jazer, take what you can from any situation, you had better learn the fundamentals.”
    A laugh echoed from two grinning people. Jazer ignored them and continued, “Are you going to answer?”
    The laughing immediately stopped. The beast widened his eyes and the red runes on the armor began to flare brightly. Jazer felt the pain in his hand surge violently. He tried to grasp at the wound, but the manacle attached to his other arm held tight. He looked at the bloody gashes that were once his fingers. Each of the four fingers were nearly gone, bloody stumps stood in their place. Now though, the veins that had once fed his fingers the life giving blood were raised and pulsing with a sickly green color. Jazer screamed as the surrounding skin took on a grayed color, as if turning to ash before his very eyes. Invisible flames licked the skin, feeling as though it was searing his hand to the very bone. As quickly as it had started, it ended, leaving Jazer gasping for breath and fighting back tears.
    “Now you have learned another fundamental, respect.” The man’s armor ceased in its glowing and returned to normal. Jazer struggled to control his own breathing. The man continued, “What has Derek been teaching you, he ought to know better.” More laughs echoed from the small crowd.
    Jazer squeezed his eyes shut, trapping the tears within. When he opened them again and through gritted teeth said, “I want my hand to get fixed.”
    The man slapped Jazer on the shoulder, a bit of magic flaring where he touched, sending another wave of pain screaming through Jazer’s body. Jazer struggled to ignore it. “If you want your hand fixed, like most things in this world it is going to cost you.”
    Jazer stared the man down, trying to find some resolve, “What is your price?”
    Another wicked grin spread across his face, “We will discuss that once you have settled your other debts.”
    “What other debts?”
    “Gifford over there,” the large beast gestured toward the dwarf who had busied himself by scooting his mug around the table, “He healed your broken leg and cracked ribs, which is a pricey endeavor. You already owe us Jazer.”
    Jazer shook his head, “I have no money, just ask Derek.”
    “You think we want money?” The man rose, his armor scraping against itself as the plates shifted. He crossed over to Derek who shied away from the big man, but the beast grasped Derek by the shoulders, obviously causing the same pain Jazer had felt earlier. “Money is easy to steal, we have need of your talents Jazer.”
    Jazer looked passed him and at the wall. The hole Jazer had blown was gone, replaced by an identical wooding. “It seems you already have magic, why do you need me.”
    The man in armor followed Jazer’s gaze to the wall. He smiled and looked back toward Jazer, “Simple repairs and healing are well within our arsenal, and as you saw earlier, elemental magic is but a trifle to us. You on the other hand, have a rare gift.”
    He moved back to the seat opposite where Jazer lay and sat back down. The small wooden bench creaked and moaned as it was forced to bear the man’s great weight, but the frame held. He smiled, “You are a scribe of magic, and you have talents that no one else has.”
    Jazer shook his head once more, “I don’t know what you’re talking about, anyone can do what I do, without paper and quill.”
    The beast leaned back, “But you have an understanding of magic beyond what any wizards have ever accomplished, you don’t manipulate magic, you understand it.” Jazer continued to stare at him. “From what I hear tell, you see a spell, or think of a spell, and you can create it on paper. The effects are just as real as any wizard’s spell.”
    Jazer looked over to Derek. Derek immediately looked away, not wanting to lock eyes with the elf. Jazer swallowed and looked back, “It isn’t that simple, there are things I can’t do.”
    The armor began to flare again and the room was illuminated by the hellish glow. “For your sake Jazer, I hope you are wrong. We will discuss exactly what it is I need of you in the morning. I think there has been enough excitement for one night.” He looked toward the others, “Clair, Stefan, let us leave them to rest.”
    Without a word, the woman and animal hide wearing man got up and began their ascent up the stairs. Clair, the woman, shot one last dark grin in Jazer’s direction. Jazer shuddered and watched her leave. The beast followed the others without even a glance back toward Jazer.
    The elf stared at the last remaining members of the crew, none of which looked at him. The short one in the grey cloak finally moved, getting up and crossing over to Jazer. He wasn’t a child at all, but a Halfling. His long brown hair hung over his left eye and what little hadn’t been tucked into the high collared cloak lay nearly to the short creature’s shoulder. The eye that Jazer could see though was not that over a brigand. It was the color of jade, staring straight into Jarkal as if measuring the worth of his very soul. Across the Halflings face, was a dark blue scarf, covering his nose and mouth. Jazer could see now that underneath his stone grey cloak, he wore a tight fitting shirt and trousers, both of which matched the scarf in color. The only skin that was exposed was his face and hands, both of which were a ghoulish white. His heavy black boots thudded against the wooden floor as he approached.
    He quickly looked from Jazer to the manacle. The Halfling bent down and fumbled with the lock. After a small click, Jazer felt the weight of the chain drop and his hand was freed. The Halfling rose slightly and leaned in real close to Jazer. “Just do what it is you are told Jazer Windsoar, more than you know is at play here.” The Halflings voice was soft, almost soothing to Jazer’s ears. It made that creature all the more imposing to Jazer. The Halfling quickly turned and without even the slightest nod to the remaining two, he ascended the stairs.
    Jazer watched him go and as the closing of a door signaled his departure, the elf sighed heavily. His gaze moved immediately to Derek, “What in the hell is going on?”
    Derek slid his mug across the table and rose to his feet. The look on his face was no longer blank, but one of shame. He exhaled slowly, as if stalling the inevitable conversation. When he did speak, it was quiet, barely audible, “Jazer, look we had nowhere else to go.”
    Jazer awkwardly got up. Without the use of his left hand it seemed strange to get to his own feet. When he did manage however, he glared at Derek once more, “Who are these people?”
    “They are the crew I use to run with. In years passed we had worked together on several occasions.”
    “Several occasions?” Gifford rose as well, and crossing over to Derek “Don’t lie to him lad, you use to run this little gang.” The dwarf put a meaty finger in Derek’s chest, “You might as well come out with it.”
    Derek looked form the dwarf over to Jazer who had crossed his arms. The elf growled, “Well?”
    “Oh curse me.” Derek looked skyward as he said this, as if hoping for a random bolt of lightning to strike him and remove this burden. “You saw the half man half orc monstrosity in the armor? Well he was my second in command. A proficient mage, he handled himself well, but never had the smarts to go with it. He may have been intelligent, but common sense was far off for him.” Derek checked the stairs, to ensure no one was listening and then continued, “Well after a bit of an argument he left, to go on some pilgrimage or something like that. When he returned he was wearing that bastard plate and easily bested me. Afterwards the others began to follow his orders as opposed to mine, and a simple crew of con-artists turned into muggers and murderers.” He looked to Gifford, “Why do you still allow yourself to run with these fools?”
    The dwarf curled a fist, “You know better than to question my motives, I have my reasons for doing what I do and don’t you dare try and question me. You brought them together and trained them, and now this monster you have created as grown wild and out of control. I just patch them up when they return to the hideout.”
    Jazer moved toward the two, unsure of who was arguing with whom anymore, “What does this have to do with me?”
    Derek looked back toward the elf, “You were hurt badly and Gifford was the only healer I knew of in the area. He agreed to help, but the group’s policy is all healing demands payment. He warned me and I volunteered myself to do another job or two. When Malius found out what you could do, mainly through use of these damn circles,” He pointed to the chair with the invisible circle that forced any lie out of one’s mind, “He found out that you are very capable of providing any spell he should desire.

17. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Feb 26

Derek shook his head, “No, he doesn’t but that isn’t what matters to him. He now has in his arsenal something no spell weaver has ever had before. Any spell he should desire or construct in his mind would be at his fingertips. That is a truly awesome power.”
    Gifford sighed loudly and said, “You ought to consider it lad, despite the evilness that flows in the orc’s veins, we still live in good conditions. You will be like me, living in this house and waiting for the group to return. I patch them up, you give them what they need and they will be on their way again.”
    Jazer shrugged, “If It is only a couple times here, until I pay my debt and get my hand fixed, and then I will do it.” It wouldn’t be so bad, Jazer thought, perhaps they had access to more research. Jazer looked around the room once more, though it appeared sophisticated, the stench of street urchins clung to the wooden walls. This place probably didn’t even have a cook book let alone a research text.
    As he grinded his fingers against the wooden table, Derek gritted his teeth, “Gifford, do not let him believe this lie. Once Malius has what he wants, he is going to force Jazer to stay around until he is no longer useful. And with Jazer’s talents that could be decades.”
    He felt his eyes widen at the prospect. Not just years, decades before Malius would let him go. The elf only momentarily considered the option before making up his mind, “I am not a slave, I may just be a book worm but I won’t be his slave.”
    “And why not? Because you think he is evil?” Gifford’s stare was unwavering, “Let me tell you this, the man is evil incarnate, but then again, you worked for Derek here, and he isn’t exactly a saint.”
    The dark haired man looked toward the floor as Gifford said this, he whispered, “I am greedy yes, but not evil. I don’t kill unless it is necessary.”
    “That is a lie!” Jazer slammed his fists, sending a new wave of pain through his left hand but he ignored it, “You killed the owner of those horses and his wife, you are no better!”
    The elf barely had time to register what happened as Derek struck him with the back of his hand. Jazer went sprawling to the floor. “You have no right to judge me Jazer, I already told you, I do what is necessary. I will not be an animal in a cage, not for them, not for you, not for anyone. My life is my own and I do what needs to be done!” Derek was on his feet now, his chest heaving in anger.
    Jazer spat out a mouthful of blood and looked up at his would-be friend, “Then what are you now? You may not be in a cage, but you are an animal on a leash, doing your masters bidding, it is little better!”
    Jazer expected Derek to fly into a fit of rage, but instead the conartist restrained himself. His body shook with anger, but he did not move to strike. Instead he slowly sat down in the chair, looking once again at the wooden table. His voice trembled as he said, “That is why I am only doing what I have to, to get by, I am repaying my debt for using Gifford, and then I am gone.”
    Jazer rose to his knees. Tears threatened to burst forward, but he choked them back as best he could, “You would leave me here, to rot in this place?”
    Derek said nothing. Gifford shifted uncomfortably, and then said, “Derek left for that very reason, to be free. Indentured servitude is not something he is willing to do, it is his own choice. You and I won’t have that luxury. I would get used to it if I were you.”
    There was nothing left to be said. Jazer got up and moved back to his seat near the fireplace. He watched as the flames flickered back and forth. He was trapped now, with no one to help. There was not a soul that would care to anyway.

18. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Feb 28

It took a few weeks for Jazer to cooperate with his captors, and he wouldn't have if it wasn't for the painful prodding from Malius. Most of the day the house was empty, save for himself and Gifford. Both of the casters were forced to stay indoors, not allowed to leave the home. Jazer had taken the solitude to become quickly accustomed to the place, learning everything he could. The kitchen had become his new study, or it would be once Malius gave him the materials. Jazer avoided the common room, there were too many spells in constant effect there. Jazer's powers had not returned since that night, but his instinct told him that there were less spells in the kitchen than anywhere else, even his own room.
    The stairs meet at the end of a long hallway. A dozen or so doors lined the walls. The hall gave a false sense of luxury. The red carpet that lined the floor was stained and tattered, like stolen from some king's garbage. The chandeliers that hung down were of expensive nature, but they were disorganized, placed in seemingly random positions with little attempt at organization.
    Jazer's room was the last on the left, and as he entered the small living quarters, the attempt at luxury immediately ceased. A rickety chair lying next to an uneven bed were the room's only furniture. Not even a nightstand for a candle, or a window to let the sun in. As soon as he had opened the door he knew in this place, Malius could watch him and know his thoughts. Jazer hated that room and did all he could to avoid it, even sleeping in the kitchen when he could sneak it.
    Gifford had become a good friend throughout the first month Jazer had to spend there. He taught Jazer all the secrets of the house, which chairs not to sit in, which food not to eat and where no to be when the others returned home. The two were the only ones around during the day, and they were free to relax and do nothing. The dwarven healer constantly smiled and was always telling Jazer how it is so nice that they don't have to do anything. They clean and cook only for themselves. They had no responsibilities during the times that Malius had not planned another job. 'It was the life' Gifford had always said. Jazer though, was not convinced.
    It didn't take long after that for Malius to begin making his demands. The mage had a little knowledge of spells, but when he described what he wanted, the beast didn't have the first clue of how to go about it. He would constantly ask Jazer for ridiculous concepts, like "Give me a trained dragon that breathes acid, and make sure it has a saddle," or "Give me a spell that would kill all of my enemies within ten miles." More than once Jazer had to remind him that though Malius believes Jazer could do anything, the elf had his limits, as did magic.
    Once Jazer began to assist in the work, Malius took a warmer greeting to him, as did the others. The woman, Clair, was a vile temptress. Her job was always luring the high powered men away from where they were supposed to be, and then kill them in brutal ways. She though, always gave Jazer a slight nod and a warm smile. It put the elf ill-at ease, but he supposed it was better than the alternative.
    Stefan was the man in animal hides. He took a bit longer to warm up to the newcomer, but he eventually learned to trust Jazer, who had occasionally supplied him with an odd spell. Jazer came to learn to avoid him for three days out of the month. Gifford warned the elf about those three days, because outside those walls, it was a full moon. A full moon and a lycanthrope don't mix well.
    The Halfling hadn't said another word since the first night they had met. Jazer purposefully went out of his way to be in the room for when the Halfling returned, but he constantly looked in another direction, or was looking straight through Jazer.
    Derek wouldn't talk to him. The man couldn't even look at his former 'friend'. He often had words with Gifford, but as soon as Jazer entered the room, Derek would quickly find an excuse to leave. Jazer wasn't sure if he was happy or not about Derek's actions. After a month he was still angry at Derek for selling him out to Malius. He probably even got some kind of bonus for it. Derek would walk away with pockets of gold, while Jazer would rot away in this building while Octavius was forced to live alone on the outside.
    Jazer's thoughts often wandered to the slug creature. He didn't even know of Octavius survived Malius's attack, or if he had been gravely injured. Whenever Jazer began to doubt Octavius's survival, he thought about the bones that had begun to form, and the blood that had dropped from the creature. The elf tried to make sense of it, but he couldn't. Had Malius ripped open Octavius's stomach to reveal the beast it had eaten earlier? Or was it bits that been trapped in Octavius's mouth? Jazer only knew one thing, and that was he wanted out of the house. Malius had a strict rule though and would allow neither Jazer nor Gifford to leave, because they couldn't be trusted

sorry for being short today, I will try to extend it later on

19. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Ugggggh, I am burnt, works been slowly wearing me down and I'm not comming up with anything good. Alright, break time, I will be back next week, likely sunday. I will bring something fresh to the novel. Oh btw, we broke 20,000 words which means we are in the ballpark of being a quarter/third of the way done. I know, numbers dont matter, but when publishing, it does. Also for those of you who have not gone to my site, I will be rewritting this entire thing, adding better detail and some comprehensive editing and likely publishing it as a one shot story. We will see, catchya later

20. Jinral

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    check back this afternoon for the next update