Battle of the Pelennor

Discussion in 'Movies' started by BlueSock12587, Sep 29, 2003.

1. BlueSock12587

BlueSock12587 Guest

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    From what i've seen from the special features on the DVD and the trailer, The Battle of the Pelennor will be legendary. But i was wondering if others, besides the gondorians and rohirrim, will participate as in the book. Will Forlong, Dervorin, Duinhir and his sons, Golasgil, Hiruin, and Prince Imrahil also be in the movie? It would be so much cooler if they were, then you'd see more than just the helms of gondor and rohan. Oh, and will Halbarad, Elladan and Elrohir join Aragorn? I hope they do show up. It'll add to the excitment prior to the battles.

2. OBSERVER

OBSERVER New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I spotted some elves in the trailer.

3. byzantine warrior

byzantine warrior Autokratos Konstantinou

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i do not think that any of them will appear in the movie

4. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    They might be there but I doubt they will be pointed out specifically. Especially since you see Aragorn entering the Path of The Dead with just Legolas and Gimli, no rangers or Elrond's sons

5. Eàmanë

Eàmanë formally Nevaeh

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    That's poop. One of the best scenes to be looking forward to.

6. Turin

Turin Valar Morghulis

Ratings:
    +24 / 0 / -0
    I guess we'll see. If it ends up like helms deep Elrond may even be there. Who knows.

My guess is that there will be many different groups of people there but they will not all be introduced.

7. M. Douglas Larsen

M. Douglas Larsen New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Elrond is definitely on hand: he gives Anduril to Aragorn in TROTK. But will he fight in the battle(s)? I don't know. I just hope that Arwen doesn't get into any fights! That will bother me a lot if she does: but Elrond fighting with some Elves is OK for the movie: we can't see too many scenes where huge battles are going on, or else it will become too confusing to the average audience. Having the Elves at Helm's Deep took the place of having to show how they were defending their lands at Loth Lorien (that was a major invasion by Mordor too, but even in the books, it was only given passing mention). I think Pelennor Fields might actually be smaller than the battle outside the Black Gates while Frodo and Sam and Gollum are getting into Mount Doom: because the battle there is even bigger (on Mordor's side at least) than the Pelennor Fields: and a lot more terrible because the good guys are losing right up until the Ring is destroyed: then they still have all the Men of Harad and the Easterlings etc. to defeat, because those warriors do not run away when Sauron is destroyed: Aragorn and company must defeat them by physical force: the battle took hours, but again, in the book it only gets a passing mention. The movie should show ONE huge battle, and the other one not nearly so long. I think it might actually be the Black Gates battle that forms the movie climax, and not the Pelennor Fields.

8. Asgath

Asgath Heavy-metal dwarf

Ratings:
    +2 / 0 / -0
    Arwen will be there, she will kill 50 thousend Orcs and the Witch King, and Legolas will kill the rest with 2 arrows, obviously

9. Strider

Strider Eccentric

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0
    Yah obviously :rolleyes:

Actually Arwen being there wouldn't be that bad. I mean this isn't Arwen its Xenarwen...;)

10. Lady_of_Shalott

Lady_of_Shalott Weaving the Magic Web

Ratings:
    +63 / 0 / -0
    Actually, the Pelennor Fields should be the biggest battle. They barely get started before the Ring is thrown into Mt. Doom. But the battle before the Black Gate will be the most climatic, because it's that last chance for Frodo to get the Ring into Mt. Doom, because if he doesn't, it's all over for Aragorn, the Rohirrim, and the rest of them.

11. Glorfindel

Glorfindel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    I too spotted some elves in the trailer.

Want my take? OK, here it is. In TTT, Galadriel convinces Elrond to stay and fight in the War- a last testament the Elves will make to Middle Earth before (nearly) all go over the sea. At the battle of Helm's Deep, we see the defenders of Lorien under Haldir fight with the Rohirrim. It makes sense since Lorien is much closer to Helm's Deep than Rivendell is.

However, since Elrond gives Aragorn Anduril in (presumably) a Gondorian camp, he may have well brought along a contingent of warriors with him too who stay and fight with the men.

On Elrond's sons....I doubt it, only because people in the audiance will bee saying "who the hell are those guys?!". If Elrond's sons were going to be introduced, it would have been in FOTR in Rivendell- if only a passing mention like "These are my sons, both of whom are great warriors and friends of the Rangers."

As for Halbarad and the Dunedain Rangers, also doubt it for the same reason as stated above-- it's too late in the game to introduce them. They already have Faramir's Rangers, having them fight (presumably) side-by-side with other Rangers (who would have to be explained as decendants of Arnor, the once sister-kingdom to Gondor) would be a bit confusing for your typical movie-goer.

But never fear, I predict much Orc ass-kicking ahead. :)

12. Radagast

Radagast Art House Member

Ratings:
    +18 / 0 / -0
    Never thought of that. But now that I ponder it, it seems logical. I could respect PJ's decision if it were for that reason. Some good thinking Glorfindel:)

13. elvenarcherinarms

elvenarcherinarms Fellow Archr of Mirkwood

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well..? Yes indeed, the Battle of the Pelennor Fields WILL kick-ass .... as much as the Black Gate showdown I presume. But Pelennor will have greater significance, as men unite as one allied body of force against evil.. The Black Gate is more or less an effort to withstain Sauron's attention from that which matters most--Frodo's quest and *his?* completing the deed. Whatevr I'm trying to say here..? I agree with m'lady of Shalott. ;) All is well.

14. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    i hope they have imrahil and the warriors of dol amroth and lebennin and lamedon i also hope we get to see the dead beat up the corsairs of umbar

15. M. Douglas Larsen

M. Douglas Larsen New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    i hope they have imrahil and the warriors of dol amroth and lebennin and lamedon i also hope we get to see the dead beat up the corsairs of umbar

I want them too; but Imrahil is just another heroic character in an already heavily stacked company of heroic characters: I don't think PJ will put him in. And I want to see the undead scare the pantaloons off those pirates: but I think it won't happen. In the trailer, we get to see Aragorn give a stirring speech to the gathered Gondorians and Rohirrim: there is not going to be a scene where Aragorn comes ashore on the Harlond with the Black Fleet (remember how in the book this is a total surprise at the high pitch of the battle, which, until Aragorn shows up, the good guys are beginning to lose). In the movie, Aragorn goes into the paths of the dead, but what happens after that I suspect will be heavily modified (shortened) as to timing from the book version.

16. elvenarcherinarms

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Well, don't forget.. Aragorn makes his stirring speech as they stand before the hosts of Mordor guarding the Black Gate. So if you still that frame you can see just how mightily they pwned in the Pelennor Battle. :p

17. elvenarcherinarms

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    Here's the shot.. looks like sweetness to me! :D

Attached Files:

18. elvenarcherinarms

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0
    And here's the host they face..

Attached Files:

19. Glorfindel

Glorfindel New Member

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0
    Hey, Elvenarcher....there's a better pic of what they face in the beginning of the trailer when the Nazgul dive in on Minas Tirith-- couple of good sized groups there :)

And also, then Gandalf goes up the stairs to the defenses of Minas Tirith theres like a frame or two where there's Orcs and Uruks as far as the eye can see ;)

20. byzantine warrior

Ratings:
    +5 / 0 / -0
    cool scene but i do hope we get to see the 'captains of the outlands' march into minas tirith